Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Spitfire the right board for me?

So here's my question, I purchased a 6'10 ADDvance a few months ago as I was struggling to find a short board that I could ride (I mostly rod a 9' Bill Stewart Pintail Pro). I absolutely love it, so much so I purchased the 7'2 Alternator. I ride the 6'10 most of the time but find that when the waves get bigger and steeper (3 - 4ft) the ADD tends to slip and feel a little bit floaty (I mostly surf the Auckland W Coast).

So I'm looking for a board that will surf 2-4 ft but also handle those days when the odd bigger set comes through and are tossing up between the Spitfire and the Dom though when I spend too many hours thinking about it I also chuck the Hellfire in as well (I'm a closet gear head !!).

I'm 5'10 and weigh about 95 kgs probably about an Int level, so looking at the DOM 6'6 or SF 6'6 or maybe the HF 6'8. Oh what to do any thoughts.

Both the Dom and Spitfire are great choices. The Hellfire would overlap with your Alternator a little more.

Comment

I have a mate I surf with who says the same re the HF, is their much difference in the performance between the DOM and SF, or do I just need to learn to surf the ADD better ?

Comment

I'd suggest the spitfire and I reckon the length you have in mind is great - that or the 6'4". The longer board would be a safer bet.

Comment

The Spit and the Dom are subtly different in the way that they ride, but very much the same board from the front fins forward.

Comment

Spitfire will be my choice since it will grab onto the wave a bit better since the tail is a bit thinner dut to the stepdown rail and the diamond shape.
            As PRJWEBB said both boards are identical from the front fins to the nose, the real difference is in the tail. The dominator tail is fuller so it will not draw arcs as tight aas the spitfire. One thing though, at 5'10'' I think the 6'6'' might be too big. That extra volume will help you on the smaller stuff but will be an issue on cleaner steeper faces.
            The HF is also a good option, since it has more rocker and a more conventional sort of modern outline, it will perform better on bigger steeper conditions. Now if the purpose of the board is mainly 2-4ft I would go for the spit 6'2'' or the 6'4''max if your level is intermediate
            For refference I'm 80Kgs and surf a SF 5'8''
            Last edited by iggy; 01-10-2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Iggy I'm certainly heading towards the SP just seems a big jump down to a 6'2, how would a HF handle shoulder high waves ? I really like the feel of my ALT 7'2 and find the ADD feels really big and floaty hence looking for a smaller wave board that catches waves easily but feels like the ALT.

Comment

The HF will be a more familiar feeling to the ALT than the SF.

Comment

According to your last post I believe that the HF might be what you are looking for,for the smaller stuff you have the advance anyways. I would put the SF between the low and medium up level of the small conditions whereas the HF will fit on the mid and up better.
                  Now in your case you have an ADD for the small to medium and the ALT for decent conditions, that's what I think the HF will fit in between nicely

Comment

Ended up getting a 6'8 Spitfire as the 6'6 was going to be 5 weeks ridden a couple of time now really like the paddling ability but feels a bit stiff (both days been over head high)I've put Shappers stealth SQ7's should I be riding this as a thruster in these conditions or am I over finned ?

Comment

Not familiar with those fins but the Spitfire is very fin sensitive. Try a few sets and see which you like the feel of. Too big a set of quads will be tracky and stiff, too small will be a little slidey. I like the Spitfire as a thruster or with large side fins and a small trailer.
                      Quad is fun in racey barrels.

Comment

yeah, the fins can cause a lot of change. experiment as much as you can because certain fins compliment individual styles in different ways. I think you should definitely try a thruster set as well. If you aren't looking for added speed, the thruster will improve maneuverability, and in particular, increase the sensation of controlled pivot.

hope this helps

Comment

Thanks guys will try as a thruster with a PC3 middle fin and report back. BTW love the website and your boards may need some counselling for my addiction issues though

Comment

Originally posted by Bowsie View Post
                            Thanks guys will try as a thruster with a PC3 middle fin and report back. BTW love the website and your boards may need some counselling for my addiction issues though
                            Firewire fever!

Comment

nahhh healthy addiction Bowsie!!

Comment

Working...
                              X