X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire and Dominator dilemma

I have a Dominator that is a 6'2" and I love that board, I surf that thing amazing in smallish surf 2-4. However, when it gets a little bigger I think it would be nice to have the Spitfire at 6'0" I am sure I could surf that thing even better and be more versatile and if the board were smaller I could rip it even more than the Dominator with the waves being better.

Am I just going Firewire surf crazy or is this a great justification to get another board as I really love the Firewire boards.

Here is my ideal California Quiver:
    1. 5'6" Sweet Potato
    2. 6'2" Dom
    3. 6'0" Spitfire
    4. 6'2" Hellfire

That is what I am trying to put together, although finances are quite tight so we shall see as I have 2 of the 4 right now.
    Last edited by hwork50; 01-13-2012, 10:15 PM.

Sounds nice. Would you need the Spitfire if you had the Hellfire and Dom? Would you be able to choose which board to use? Decisions decisions.

Comment

Yeah I think there's lot of overlap in that quiver but at the same time there's conditions that each board would excel in.
      I'd be thinking

Sweet P
      Dom
      Hellfire

Or

Sweet P
      Spitfire
      Spartan

Comment

If I won the Lottery Quiver:
        Sweet P
        Potatonater
        Dom
        Activaor
        Spitfire
        Hellfire
        Hellraiser
        Spartan
        Alernator
        Flexfire

That should cover most situations.

Comment

So what I was thinking is that if the 6'0" spitfire handles a bit better (3-4 foot) then I would just make that my go to board, although I find it hard to believe that I can get more happiness than what I am getting
          out of the DOM. The DOM is such an amazing board that allows me to carve and go where I want on the wave and it paddles like a dream. I seriously can say without a doubt I am a better surfer because of the board.

I think my ultimate quiver will be:

-Baked Potato 5'6" (just checked that out wow!)
          -DOM: 6'2"
          -Spitfire: 6'0
          -Hellfire: 6'2"

That will cover all the waves I like to surf in my local region.

Comment

My take. The potato should cover the bottom end of the dominator conditions and the Spitfire will cover the top end, then the HF or Spartan or HellRazor for bigger than that.
            That said, potato and Dom and then HF/HR/MB would cover anything that starts getting a bit meaty for the Dom.

Comment

yeah work that is a great and highly versatile three board quiver. one could argue that is about as wide a range of waves as you could cover!!

Cheers!

Comment

Completely agree with PRJWEBB. besides I think of the spitfire as a juiced up dominator. The spit will be a bit snappier than the dom

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                  Am I just going Firewire surf crazy or is this a great justification to get another board as I really love the Firewire boards.
                  It must be contagious...I used to be all messed up on the Lord, now I'm all messed up on Firewire!
                  Originally posted by Danga View Post
                  Sounds nice. Would you need the Spitfire if you had the Hellfire and Dom? Would you be able to choose which board to use? Decisions decisions.
                  That's what I'm thinking too. My quiver is in my signature line but for flat and onshore days I have a mountain bike and some nice trails where fun/calorie ratio will be better. That said when I'm all done and broken of this 2 wheeled affliction I might get a sweet potato for those days too.

Comment

I am shooting to accomplish my quiver goals in 6 months so I can get surfing and stop looking for boards. I have to somehow tell my wife that I need 1000- worth of boards, that should be fun.
                    Last edited by hwork50; 01-18-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

That's easy, tell her you were thinking of taking up mountain biking and then show her how much a Santa Cruz Blur XC Carbon costs (it's a very nice bike and my current ride, actually one of them, you need bike quivers too!). Or compare it to the cost of a set of top notch golf clubs and annual club membership. There are a lot of sports that are far more expensive - like sailing (known as tearing up $100 bills in a salt water shower!).

I reckon a few days of bombarding her with these sorts of numbers and then quietly say (like you had a change of mind and realise how selfish taking up another sport would be) you think if you had these other boards you could surf all conditions and wouldn't need to take up another sport. And if that doesn't work and you need advice on hidden slush funds - I'm your man! I've successfully hidden $1000s of expenditure on my toys over the years. :-()
                      Last edited by Slowman; 01-17-2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Hwork50, better buy her some bling (diamond rings etc) for anniversary to offset your Firewire craving. Its a good trade off and the jewelry always hold their value.

Comment

my boards always ship with a statement of my love written on them...then i make sure the boss is there as they are unpacked and can see this testament...cheaper and less painful that tatts...!!..of course she has seen through this shallow attempt to offset board costs for the last 20 years at least, but it is still on them when unwrapped, and the first thing i point out....the kids think i'm a pathetic loser..!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post
                            Hwork50, better buy her some bling (diamond rings etc) for anniversary to offset your Firewire craving. Its a good trade off and the jewelry always hold their value.
                            This works a treat....for our 10 year wedding anniversary I spent around $3000 on a ring that she picked herself and she me got a new 6'4" Futura.......fair deal I say!

Comment

Its my 25th wedding anniversary this year and the boss wants a diamond ring so looks like i'm justified in getting a few more boards for the quiver :) .......Hellrazor already on order.....hmmmmm may be a Potatonator as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X