X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire fin opinions.

hey guys, I own a 5, 11 spitfire and a 6, 0 lost stealth model firewire. I've been playing around with fin options and was hoping to get some feedback on what everyones favorite future fins were for their spitfires. Quad and thruster set ups. Right now i've got the rob machado thrusters and the v2f4's as quad. Mainly surfing waist-chest high florida surf. Anybody have any killer fin set ups they've really enjoyed on the spitfire? I've been looking at the wct tech flex rtm's from Futures, thoughts? any help would be awesome!

Thruster I have a set of SOLUS that go insanely well with the spitfire. At times I mixed it up and place the center deviant which adds an extra kick to it.
    As quads I have a set of the ELEVON, funky looking but pretty nice. Tried the controllers on it but they limit the board quite a bit I find.
    The WCT and the Clay Marzo look like a fun model as far as thruster goes as well, haven't tried any of those yet.
    What's your weight? around 175lbs?

Comment

I weigh 176 lbs haha, good guess. I'm pretty tall, 6, 3. but the 5, 10 feels perfect under my feet. Just looking to enhance my spitfire experience. The Elevons look CRAZY...pretty pricey though. May wait until I can find some of those a little cheaper. Yea I really like the look of the WCT's but I'll definitely take a look at the SOLUS now..

Comment

what is the center deviant?

Comment

you sound like a light footed surfer
          i think you are doing good on a v2f4 (a 5 fin set can go either tri or quad in that mushy small powerless surf

I have another set by tim stamps (a 5 fin set gotta order from Stamps) that I use in shoulder to head high waves.
          AM-2 when there is juice,

Comment

Iggy, whats the extra kick you are experiancing? I have been trying out the power flex fin (super flex) super loose off the top. .

Comment

the deviant is essential in every surfers bag of tricks...
              http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/quiver_deviant.php

Comment

Since the deviant changes the can't angle as you turn, that means that there is way less drag on the board while performing turns, making you come out of them with considerably more fluidity and speed. That's what I meant with the kick.
                Fritzkat the central hatchet on the souls releases off the top pretty nicely as well.If you local shop has a fin tree available I invite you to try them and experience how much fun they are

Attachment
                Attached Files

Comment

Do you leave the deviant fin in all the time or do you change? If change why?

Comment

Well the deviant is pretty much on the board most of the time. The time is not is generally because is on somebody's board getting tested.
                    When I want to get a bit more vertical I put the deviant, it allows you to tight my arcs quite a bit and when you have fast sections as well.
                    My local conditions are quite consistent so sphere it depends on the mood but when I get to the East Coast then is when I can actual feel the difference

Comment

i think if i'm surfing a predominant left (back hand) that's when the deviant goes in. i find it works really well for surfing tighter back hand.

Comment

Totally agree

Comment

yeah, snappy backside hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                            Since the deviant changes the can't angle as you turn, that means that there is way less drag on the board while performing turns, making you come out of them with considerably more fluidity and speed. That's what I meant with the kick.
                            Fritzkat the central hatchet on the souls releases off the top pretty nicely as well.If you local shop has a fin tree available I invite you to try them and experience how much fun they are

Attachment
                            I can't quite tell how it bends, is that a hinge or some kind of flexing device? I've seen the video clip and can see it seems to be self centering or have some kind of spring return mechanism, but never close up enough to see much, so wondered if it really was a hinge.
                            Attached Files

Comment

No spring or anything. It relies on water pressure during turning to push the fin to either side. When surfing you're on either rail pretty much the whole time so the fin doesn't need to rest in a central position. It's always matching your engaged rail's fin cant. The hinge is a kind of barrel mechanism. They are well worth trying out, especially in wider tailed hybrid boards I reckon. They really tighten up your turning radius and fluidity through turns by reducing drag. A secret weapon when the waves are smaller!

Comment

Working...
                              X