X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck on sizing and spitfire/dominator choice

I'm looking at getting at getting a firewire, and since my local shop that stocks them isn't that knowledgable, I'd be stoked for some feedback here.

I'm an intermediate surfer (comfortable up to just overhead, can trim down the line, slowly learning to pump properly to generate speed, and can make some mellow turns on the face) living in Vancouver (so I can't surf all that regularly). I've been surfing for 6-7 years but never consistently so my progression has been fairly slow. I've owned a number of used boards, and right now have a big guys short board (6,6 x 20.25 x 2.5) for when it's small/average and an old 6,1 thin, narrow wade tokoro shortboard for the few days when it's pumping which my brother gave me. There is also a good chance I may sell those two boards to help pay for this.

I've ridden a couple of the shorter, fatter hybrids and been really stoked on them so am pretty much set on either a dominator or a spitfire as a "do it all" board, leaving the wade tokoro for a the rare days when it's wayy overhead. (I'm also for sure not a good enough surfer yet to really make the most of it). I'm about 6foot, 22yo, 159lbs and being in the NW i'm always in a full wintersuit, boots, gloves, hood etc

The surf here is usually anywhere from knee to head high, so that's kinda the range i'm aiming for, and leaning towards the spitfire as i've read the narrower tail will hold better when it starts to get to shoulder high, plus I feel like it might be a better board for me to grow into? But honestly I'm not sure. I'm just not sure what size to go for and i'm not too knowledgable on boards. The buyers guide recommends a 5,10, the volume calculator recommends closer to a 5,8, and it seems on the forum many people heavier than me are on a 5,8. I looked on the CBD and saw that there is a 5,9 option so was thinking maybe that, but would be stoked if you'd be able to give me some advice on which board you think would be best, and the sizing?

Here are a couple photos of the breaks I surf, to give you an idea what it's often like, though we for sure get bigger/smaller days!

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_...acaade884c.jpg

http://victoriaweddingphotographer.n...urfing-001.jpg

http://surfquebecopen.com/2009/wp-co...l-hugues-4.jpg

http://hwimages.magicseaweed.com/photoLab/127586.jpg

http://islandnet.com/~rkashino/Jr.jpg

Cheers!

They look like really fun waves. That second shot looks Trestles'ish, but mushy.

Given how you describe your surfing I'd opt for the 5'10" over the 5'8". Both would suit - just the 5'8" would be harder work (albeit offering more potential "high end" performance). I reckon it's a toss a coin exercise between the Dom and Spit. I personally like round tails and other more fluid shapes. I'm not sure if that's aesthetics or performance or both. I'd like to think both. So I have a Dom and never complained.

Comment

Well if you ask me I will throw in the 5'8" Spitfire. A bit more performant board for those conditions. Draws closer arcs, a bit more pivot due to the tail design.
      Both are pretty much the same boards from the front fins upwards. The "bevelled" tail shaves up some volume there when you needed, where the plane area will maintain the same but with less volume, allowing you to dig the tail with a bit more ease
      But again its all about preference. Given that you are 6'1", I don't know how would you feel with a 5'8". 159lbs with a 5/4 wetsuit boots and gloves puts you right on the 5'8".
      Those breaks look like you could be considering the Hellfire as well!!!

Comment

Oops I replied to the dupe thread.

Comment

yeah I am on board with what people are saying here.

I think the 510 would be my suggestion because it will bag you a few more waves and still be easy to use.

If you think you are going to be getting in the water a bit more, then you certainly can get after the 508 but its going to be a bit more of a challenge up front. You want to think about and make the best choice for you...I think you'll be stoked either way!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            yeah I am on board with what people are saying here.

I think the 510 would be my suggestion because it will bag you a few more waves and still be easy to use.

If you think you are going to be getting in the water a bit more, then you certainly can get after the 508 but its going to be a bit more of a challenge up front. You want to think about and make the best choice for you...I think you'll be stoked either way!!

Sweet thank you! Do you think I should perhaps go for the standard 5,9 spitfire off of the CBD then as a balance between easier wave catching, and something that will et me progress into?

Comment

I think that is a preference call as to whether you want to wait for the board to be built. Would the board suit you better? yeah it could, but you may go fine on a stock model as well.

up to you! I am not strongly pushing one way or the other....

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                I think that is a preference call as to whether you want to wait for the board to be built. Would the board suit you better? yeah it could, but you may go fine on a stock model as well.

up to you! I am not strongly pushing one way or the other....

Sweet, cheers for all the advice so far! The only other question I had was at 155lbs and with a winter suit on, am I going to have an issue duck-diving the 33.5l 5'10"?

Comment

Hey Those Pictures look a hell of a lot like Sombrio first peak and some of those rights look like JR. You surf on vancouver island regularly?

Comment

Originally posted by Chito View Post
                    Hey Those Pictures look a hell of a lot like Sombrio first peak and some of those rights look like JR. You surf on vancouver island regularly?
                    I live in Van, so not regularly, but pretty much surf just Sombrio and then outside Port Angles in WA when it lines up right! How'd you like your 5,6 Spitfire being over 6ft tall?
                    Last edited by hdeb89; 03-04-2012, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Ohh I love it, it is so hyper maneuverable. Allows you to go anywhere you want to on a wave. If you can keep it under control when its overhead and nice and punchy, not top to bottom but with a nice lip to hit right in the pocket, this board absolutely RIPS, you can do any turn you can imagine. I find though that when it gets really steep the wide tail makes the board slide out some when your bottom turning. Does't even have to be big, down here we get 2 ft waves that are so backless they will just kick your ass so on days like that sometimes It slides out a bit. I am remedying this problem with a 5'11 Hellrazor.
                      For you Up there the Spitfire will have you covered for days up to overhead and a half, and In a full suit with long periods of time where its flat, I would defiantly put you on a 5'8. If you are lazy and don't like paddling than I would recommend a 5'10 to cover the lower range of waves as well since when it gets small down there I know its super fat. This board if you get it in Futures goes INSANE with the Rob Machado Futures set, they compliment the whole purpose of this board which is to be super maneuverable and whippy so well they basically complete the board in my opinion. Ive tried multiple other setups like the F4 Techflex ( which also went amazing but not quite as much as the machado's), the SF4 quad, AM2 techflex, AM1's, EA Techflex and hands down for open rippable waves, the Machado's went the best. Have fun with the waves you guys are getting up there right now, heard its been good.

Comment

woo chito!

Comment

Thanks Chito, that definitely helps! I'm pretty set on the 5,8.

Now just torn between getting just a 5,8 Spitfire, or getting a 5,8 Dominator and getting a 5,10 Hellfire a little later on. (Basically giving me a two board quiver to ride everything.)

Comment

I would get the Spitfire but if you can get a sweet 2x1 deal who could resist??;).

Comment

Would a spitfire/hellfire combo have too much overlap compared to a dominator/hellfire combo as far as a two board quiver goes?

Comment

Working...
                              X