Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I can handle a dominator can I handle a spitfire

Hi All

I am an intermediate surfer and just started riding a short board. I am now on a 6'9" Aipa which is a thick floaty board. I am 5'7" and 154lbs. I am going to buy a short board that is more performance based and deciding between a 6'6" dominator or Spitfire in teh same size. I have ridden a friend's dominator in that size and could handle it and liked it. Does that mean I should be able to handle a spitfire? I am thinking that if I am going to get better as a surfer I might as well get a board like the spitfire that is a bit more maneuverable rather than the dominator. Any reflections anyone?

Thanks

I'd say yes. I have both a 6'0 dominator and spitfire. The spitfire is a little looser and will whip around in tighter arcs and the tail has more bite, which gives it some extra hold in hollower better surf. That said, the dominator is still a great board and really does have a nice feel as well. Neither are great on steep take offs but once you are going the spitfire is less likely to spin out on a hard turn on the steep part of the wave.

The spitfire will surf better in the pocket, again though that is relative to the dominator. Compared to the hellrazor though it is nowhere near as comfortable in the pocket. For me the spitfire top end is a little higher than the dominator too but not by that much, say a foot perhaps. They have a slightly different feel but if you can handle a dom you can certainly handle the spitfire, it is not a big adjustment, it's more like a progression.
    Last edited by Slowman; 07-08-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Yes you will, one question though,how did you find the 6'5" in terms of flotation?

Comment

Because at 154lbs you will have tons of foam under your belly

Comment

I found the 6'6" plenty floaty and had no problem catching waves. That said I am sure I could do with a shorter board like a 6'4" but I am just not that good a surfer and want to make sure I get alot of waves and get better. I am going to the demo at o'side friday and we shall see. It would be great to be able to "graduate" to a shorter board. I didn't mention it before but I am 52yo and when you do the volume calculator for an intermediate surfer you get recommendations of about 41-46 liters. SO based on age I should be on a more voluminous board than others. The only crappy thing about being 52 yo is that I am not sure how much longer I will be able to surf hard and learn. So I am in a hurry and want to make sure to get a board I can handle!

Comment

You learn every day,and as you grow in age you grow in experience as well, for sure no air 369's on the repertoire but a nice hack with lots of spray will put a big smile on anybody's face. The demo will solve all your problems. And the guys at it will answer any questions and will guide you in the right direction for sure

Comment

Thanks. I am looking forward to it. It would be awesome to get shorter. It has taken me a long time to get there

Comment

Iggy, How do you feel a Hellfire fits into this? Is it more challenging of a board and harder to handle than either the Spit or dom? I suppose I should be looking at that too?
                thanks

Comment

MM, at 154lbs I think you could easily go to a 6'0 spitfire, I'm 90kg (195lbs). I also have a hellfire and it is also a progression from the spitfire, so it has a very similar feel but slightly more performance and can handle better waves than the spitfire. I use my spitfire as my grovel board and the hellfire for slightly better waves. The hellfire is not a bad all round board and will handle from waist high to around double overhead. You will need something for small waves...for me that would be a spitfire but perhaps one of your current boards might fill that slot.

Comment

I agree with Slowman, the Hellfire will give you more performance than the Spitfire. Because you already have a Dominator, you would experience a bigger change going to the Hellfire than the Spitfire. The Hellfire might be a bit more challenging than the Spitfire at first, but once you get the hang of it, you might enjoy that board more when the surf is better. On those small - medium days, you can then always have a great time on your Dominator.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

OK then. how about a baked potato. I dont have anything like that. Is that alot harder to ride than a 606 dominator for instance?

I guess I am just looking to progress more as a surfer and now that I can ride a shortboard feel like I should go for soemthing performance oriented so I will get better

Comment

The Baked Potato will be easier to ride than the Dominator because it is much thicker and wider. The BP is best for small, mushy surf though, so if you want to look for more performance oriented boards to ride on bigger waves, then I'd lean away from the BP.

The Spitfire is like a Dominator with a refined tail, so it sounds like you would want something like a Hellfire or Unibrow. I think either of those models would be a great next board choice for you.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Originally posted by magicmodel View Post
                          Iggy, How do you feel a Hellfire fits into this? Is it more challenging of a board and harder to handle than either the Spit or dom? I suppose I should be looking at that too? thanks
                          Well I found the dom/ spit are a bit more user friendly, I would put the hellfire on the higher performance end of the hybrid

Comment

Did you end up going to the demo??

Comment

No Iggy I didn't. It was a bummer but I got called into work and couldn't go. I am off friday august 2 so I am hoping to go then. Thanks for asking!

Comment

Working...
                              X