X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire or Potatonator?

As Firewire Fever runs its course through my veins I feel as though I really need to swap my 6'0 dom for a 6'0 spit but I'm wondering what the differences are between the spitfire and the potatonator performance wise. I can tell you the physical differences but from the plan shape they look very similar but the P-nator has a double concave and a bit more volume but I rode my dom in 1' waves today and it seemed to go very well and maybe I should just stick with a spitfire and keep the dominator too.

The dom certainly seems to be able to grovel so I'd expect the spit can too and they can still go OK in overhead how does the P-nator go in overhead waves?
    Last edited by Slowman; 02-21-2012, 09:52 PM.

They are basically the same board from the front fins upward. (Dom/Spit). The volume shaving on the tail plus the tail config allows for the Spit to draw tighter arcs than the Dom
    Yet to try a Potatonator but for the looks of it, it seems that you might be able to go a few inches smaller than the Spit and due to its double concave it will make the board go rail to rail even easier. Expect a skatier feeling, fun board to ride on small waves even if they are a bit steeper. I see it a small wave high performance board.

Comment

hey Slow,
      look at the Potatonator as squashed down dominator with better performance in smaller surf. Biggest difference is the tail shape, it is a bit wider and that little extra area makes the board excel in smaller/weaker surf.

Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far Chris and Iggy but I guess the question I am asking is will the P-nator have as much performance as the spitfire? You know turn as tightly, have that snap and zing or will it be more like the dom performance?
        Last edited by Slowman; 02-21-2012, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I think it'll perform better in smaller waves because that tail will generate so much lift you'll have plenty to push against. It'll fly around!
          That's going to play against you on bigger, fast waves though and the Spitfire's narrower, thinner tail will have an advantage.
          If the board is going to be an all rounder the Spitfire is a better bet, but as a small or junky wave board the Potatonator will be unstoppable.

Comment

Attachment Hopefully Ill be able to tell you how my potatonator goes in overhead waves tomorrow...
            Pick up swell...damn you!
            6'2" Potatonator...
            Attachment
            Snap and zing? This board delivers.
            The shop owner, where I bought the potatonator, was out with me this morning and reckons we'll have to call it the "Petenator" after he saw the nasty gouge I inflicted on an un-suspecting 2'er this morning.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by cuttlefish; 02-22-2012, 06:52 PM.

Comment

She packs quite a bit of volume!!

Comment

Thanks for the shots!!

Comment

Nice Pete!

Comment

Nice indeed. Is that a very subtle fang on that diamond tail?

Comment

I think it's just the pin line dropping down the step deck. Definitely gives that impression though!

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                        She packs quite a bit of volume!!
                        Ha...so do I. And pushing 50 to boot.
                        They apparently call it a "space tail" Slowman.

Comment

Slowman....FYI - I found out today that Cronulla Surf Design will have a 5'10" demo Potatonator in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                            I think it's just the pin line dropping down the step deck. Definitely gives that impression though!
                            Originally posted by cuttlefish View Post
                            Ha...so do I. And pushing 50 to boot.
                            They apparently call it a "space tail" Slowman.
                            Yes I saw your pictures on the "assassinator" thread and could see it a bit better. Yes it looks like the pin striping creates that impression.

Comment

Here's a couple more shots to try to illustrate it better...
                              Attachment Attachment
                              FYI the 6'2" with 44 litres floats me at inbetween belly button and lowest rib with board level in the water underneath me.
                              My step up 6'4" Diverse dynocore with 42 litres floats me just above lowest ribs.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X