X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 spitfire

hi, im just wondering if any of you could tell me when the 2012 spitfire model will be out. i am looking to buy a new board, and the surf shop said they would be getting some in next week. how can i tell if its the latest model? will the new versions still have the valve?

and also i see on firewire's website that they have some new 'nano-tune technology', when will that be out?

thanks

do you guys think a 5'10 spitfire would have too much volume for me? i am an intermediate surfer at 6'1 and 76kg (167 pounds) looking to use the board in 2 to 5 foot surf. i have also considered the hellfire but fear it will not perform well in the 2-5 foot surf range. any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Depending on where you are NanoTuned boards should be starting to filter in to dealers in any day now. Not sure if there's been any tweaks to the Spitfires shape, but it never had a valve anyway.
      Looks like new boards have the FST or Rapidfire logo on the deck now too, other than that, should be no difference.
      Look out for a Nanotune sticker though!

Size wise, 5'10 will work well for you until it gets bigger or suckier, then you would probably be a little better on the 508.
      I rode both a 510 and 508, found the 508 to be plenty of volume for me.

Comment

Hi, Im curious, what is nanotuned boards?

Comment

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/im...ss_Release.pdf

Chris has described as similar to waxing skis/snowboards to repel the snow and increase the glide of the board.

Comment

Corka, 85Kgs here and have a 5'8" which floats me plenty.What are you riding now?? cause the issue here more than flotation could be length

Comment

i used to ride a 6'2 shortboard but then i got myself a 7'1 mini mal which i have used over the last 2 years because i would only surf occasionally in small stuff. but now my mates are into surfing and we go out to some decent surf beaches and i'm looking to get back into short boarding. so you think the 5'8 spitfire will be too short?

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/im...ss_Release.pdf

Chris has described as similar to waxing skis/snowboards to repel the snow and increase the glide of the board.
                Pretty cool, basically I could buy the nano-coating and apply to my current Firewires?
                Last edited by Ben; 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Corka, 5'8" is a BIG jump down from a 7'1". I'd be looking at the 5'10" in that instance for sure. That size is still going to take some adjustment from the mal but it'll be a lot easier than the 5'8" and it's still going to feel a lot freer and more fun than the 7'1".

Ben, that's the plan once the re-tune kits arrive in the shops!

Comment

i dont want to get the 5'10 and then wish i had gotten the 5'8 a month later. would i have any trouble at 76kg duck diving the 5'10? its 33.5 litres

Comment

It'll be a lot easier to duck dive than the 7'1". As long as you aren't out in solid, thumping, overhead barrels it shouldn't be a problem.
                      Your call, if you feel up to the 5'8" by all means don't let me tell you otherwise!

Comment

If you surf the mini mal I don't think you are going to find the 5'10" too big anytime soon. As PRJ said, it will be waaay easier to duck dive than the mini mal for sure. Volume wise you would be perfect with the 5'8" but the thing to consider here is your height and the drastic drop in length

Comment

thanks for the advice. i think i have my mind set on the 5'10. would you guys recommend i get a set of fcs k2.1 quad fins for 2-5 foot surf on the spit?

Comment

Well as far as fins go it ll depends on your own personal style. I particularly prefer FUTURES but I know PRJ has very good insight on FCS and now in SOAR fins

Comment

Yeah I liked the K2.1 5 fin set in my Spitfire. Goes great as a thruster and a quad.

Comment

Working...
                              X