X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'6" or 5'8" Spitfire FST?

5'8.5", 170 lbs (w/o rubber!!, 180 w/ rubber), Intermediate/Advanced, excellent conditioning, Home break: Southern North Carolina... I want something that is fast, paddles easy, not bulky in decent surf, is shorter than I am, can handle waiste - head (glass or slop).. In general an everyday go to board for the typical stuff we get here on the east coast.. Short board: 6' x 18.75 x 2 3/8 (27.7 lt).. I am torn between the 5'6" & 5'8" Spitfire.. What say you?

Thanks!

5'6. You're basically my weight and ride the same HPSB as me and the 5'8 always felt bulky to me. The only thing that stopped me getting a 5'6 was that I'm 6ft tall and it would have been too short for me.

Comment

Agree 5.6 is enough go for it you will love it....

Comment

GrindItFine a 5'6 Spitfire (28.3L) should be good since you are already riding a board at 27.7L.

ALOHA!!

Comment

I don't know if you're set on FST or not, but you should also consider the 506 SF in Timbertek...Might just be the icing on the cake for you.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

I'm around the same size and ability range as you and I recently purchased a 5'6 Spitfire. I haven't had a chance to try the 5'8, but I can tell you for certain that I'm more stoked on the 5'6 than anything I've ridden before. I bought this board with the same intentions that you've listed above and it works great!

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I live on the sandbar and dawn patrol every morning, so I really want something that I can grovel with down to thigh high (25-50% of days here). I just demoed a 5'6" potatonator (yesterday) and loved its paddling ability (caught every wave I paddled for), but making the bottom turn was work and on multiple occasions I just caught the rail and went flying. Once on the wave face, the board worked well, kinda skaty, but outran the pocket every time. If I went with the PN, I would go with a 5'4". The waves here are fast and punchy, even in the thigh - waist high range, and I need something that will hold in the pocket when the wind goes offshore, but I can also grovel with in mushy conditions. I LOVE grovelling and find it a challenge to squeeze every last bit of energy out of the smallest of waves, so I dont mind working me arse off.

This forum is a great resource and I appreciate the responses!

Comment

I too ride a 504 PN, but find that once the waves get above waist high, I miss the performance aspect of my shortboard. That is why I love my Chubby Chedda 509. It works in fast punchy waves very well and will give you that familiar short board feel, while still being able to grovel. The link below is of LSD's Chubby Checka design (so not in Firewire tech), but it shows Julian Wilson shredding in small waves: http://vimeo.com/20393550
                As LSD explains, Julian "wanted a fun small wave board that he could still rip the bag out of." Firewire's Chubby Chedda incorporates LSD's unique small wave shortboard design with Firewire's awesome technology. Together, the combo is deadly.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

I'm 6'2 195.. Im currently on a 6'2 FST Spitty, and it feels a bit floaty for me at times. I'd like to go down to a 6'o Timbertek. What do you guys think?

Comment

Yes dinosaur. At your weight a 600 is perfect. Exactly the size I rode at your weight. Still on it now at 220lb, I'd consider a 602 myself if looking for another SF.

Comment

Pulled the trigger this morning. It just so happened to be sitting in a local shop - for 25 bucks more than I was going to order it. Futures fin boxes and all. That stamped-in logo is awesome. In other news, I now have a gently used 6'2 FST up for grabs! Pretty excited. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Timbertek looks unreal you'll be stoked on that board! I learned sooooo much on my spitfire.

Comment

Working...
                        X