X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire size question

I'm 6'5(196cm) and 196 pounds(89kilos) 44 years old and am in good shape for an older guy. I surf or swim about three times a week in San Diego. I was thinking a 6'2'' Spitfire would probably be best for me. I want to err on the big side, if anything, because I am used to riding bigger boards. Any size advice would be great thanks.
    Last edited by Rick D; 09-01-2013, 05:52 PM.

I'm 6'0, 55yrs and 90kg and I ride a 6'0 spitfire. I'm sure the 6'2 would be fine for you.

Comment

yep, when I was 90kg I rode a 600 spitfire, and at times would have liked a 510. I'm also 6'3" so not quite as tall as you. I think either a 600 or a 602 will work well for you. Make sure you get some fins that suit your style as well. I found the futures SF4 Stretch quad set work really well.

Comment

Thanks justo and slowman, I was thinking about either getting the Stretch or Rusty 5 fin set so I could try a thruster and a quad. Sounds like people like both thruster and quad set ups. This forum is really helpful.

Comment

for sure Rick, both good fin sets. I think the Stretch set will be better. The Rusty set is quite large, especially for your size, and on that board. I just have the Stretch 4 fin set, and the JC1 thruster set (futures) that I use. I mainly use the stretch quads, super fast, very manouverable, drive off the bottom well, and project well over flat spots. If it gets a little bigger and I want to run a quad still, I switch the front fins for the JC1's. If it's overhead and hollowish I will use the JC1's. And for a fun point break style wave I use the JC1 sides and then throw in a deviant rear fin, heaps of fun.

So with 1 board, and 2 sets of fins you can do soooooo much. The Spitfire opened my surfing right up and allowed me to do stuff I didn't know I could. I just wish they made them in FST when I got mine.

Comment

• Rick D
            Rick D commented
            Editing a comment
            Appreciate the help Justo thank you

I use FCS R2 quads in mine and with a small stabilizer fin similar to a knubster. I have a set of stretch SF4 quads I use in my dom too with a little fin. It's probably just a personal preference but I like the R2s better they seem to have just a bit more drive.

Comment

• Rick D
            Rick D commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Slowman, I will pick up my spitfire in the middle of next week. I think I am going to go with the future R1 5 fin set but I still have time to change my mind a few times before I pick it up. The guy at the shop really liked the idea of using a Jordy thruster.
        Working...
        X