Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Average surfer, putting together a quiver and need some suggestions. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average surfer, putting together a quiver and need some suggestions.

I've been surfing for a long time now, but finally am at a point in my life where I can financially sustain this very expensive habit. I bought a used 6'2" flexfire about 5 years ago and haven't surfed on another board since. Recently a buddy of mine introduced me to his fish, and I instantly had to run out and go buy one. I bought the new timbertek baked potato, and it has made me fall in love with surfing all over again.

At this point I'm looking to build up a good quiver, but as far as the technical aspects go, I know next to nothing about the intricacies of surfboard technology... I'm 5'10, 165 lbs and right now am surfing almost exclusively beach breaks (Huntington Beach Pier, San Diego, etc etc). More often than not we're talking shoulder height and below, I'd like a board that can surf from chest to head high + (Basically, what to use when its too big for my baked potato).

So i'd like to venture from my baked potato, and would like to see what you all recommended for bigger surf when I'm not just trying to catch knee high mush.

What do you recommend? I've been doing some research, but there are so many details to these boards I have no idea what the right fit would be. Here are some of the boards I was looking at:
    Spitfire
    Hellrazor
    Alternator
    Activator

If you put any of these boards in front of me I would have no idea what the difference between them is. The descriptions on the site basically go over rocker, and rails and concave and I'm not sure how to translate that into "what conditions this board thrives in".

Also, what is the big difference between RapidFire and FST?

Going by where you live and surf, your best bet has to be going to one of the many demo days in that area, try as many boards as you can and chat to chuy and the crew about the tech and differences in the boards. You'll learn a lot and also get a feel for all the different models that you're interested in. I'd try out the Unibrow if I were you. That'll be perfect for what you're describing. They are all really good boards though.

Comment

I go baked v2 rocket and a md. or baked chubby chedda, md. Or baked Cc , Mb.

Comment

Originally posted by Phill View Post
        Going by where you live and surf, your best bet has to be going to one of the many demo days in that area, try as many boards as you can and chat to chuy and the crew about the tech and differences in the boards. You'll learn a lot and also get a feel for all the different models that you're interested in. I'd try out the Unibrow if I were you. That'll be perfect for what you're describing. They are all really good boards though.
        Thanks, I'll definitely look into the unibrow. Unfortunately I just missed a demo day they had here at Huntington Beach last weekend. Hopefully they have another one soon.

Comment

Originally posted by pmorgan View Post
          I go baked v2 rocket and a md. or baked chubby chedda, md. Or baked Cc , Mb.
          Just to clarify...

V2 Rocket = Mayhem V2 Rocket correct?
          MD = Mayhem Mini Driver?
          CC = I assume Chubby Chedda
          MB = Michel Bourez?

Sorry I'm pretty new to all this, unsure of the acronyms.

Comment

• Josh BL
            Josh BL commented
            Editing a comment
            Correct.

- Firewire Intern Josh

I also have a connection and can get a stellar deal on the following boards (which is why I was trying to narrow it down to the ones I originally posted)
          • Alternator
          • Hellrazor
          • Michel Bourez Pro
          • Activator
          • Hellfire
          • Spitfire
          • Addvance
          • Dominator

Comment

Another San Diegan, nice! Because the BP (Baked Potato) is ideal in 0.5 - 3ft surf, it sounds like you're looking for a board that's good in the 3-6ft range (the 6ft + days are not consistent in San Diego). Based on the list you provided, I would narrow that down to the DM (Dominator), SF (Spitfire), or HZ (Hellrazor). The way I have listed these three is from "easiest" to "hardest" to ride. Based on your skill level, they will be easier or harder for you to ride. The Dom is one of Firewire's all-time best-selling boards. This board is a great all-arounder as it falls right into the "hybrid" category. The SF, jumping up into the "performance hybrid" category will, as the name implies, be more performance based. It won't paddle as well as the DM but it will be more geared toward progressive surfing. stepping up another level (into the "high performance" category, you'd be looking at the Hellrazor. The HZ will be the most difficult to paddle out of the three but will have the capability of surfing waves in the 4-6ft+ range. All three of these boards can be ridden in the 3-6ft range, but they range in varying degrees of difficulty based on the surfer's skill level. Based on what you're saying and the board options you have available to you, it sounds like the DM or SF might be a good fit. Hopefully this little outline helped.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Looking at your list you could go BP Spit MB

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                I reckon the Alternator is a good pick as a shortboard for San Diego waves. I'd got BP/ Activator/Alternator out of that list I reckon. That'll give you the best spread. The Activators refined tail separates it from the BP from that the Spitfire and Dominator would, in my opinion.

Thank you for all the great input. I think I'm going to go with the Spitfire. Thank you all for your awesome suggestions, it was a huge help!!

One last questions (I hope). I did the volume calculator on Firewire's site and it recommended a volume between 30 - 33. Other surfers I've talked to say that the volume calculator is way too high and is not accurate, what do you guys think?

I'm 5'10, 165 lbs, 33 years old, and in excellent physical condition. I would judge myself as an "Intermediate" surfer.

The suggested size for the spitfire:
              5'8" - 20 - 2.4
              Last edited by wavechaser; 09-22-2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                That's a good size for you imo

Originally posted by wavechaser View Post
              Thank you for all the great input. I think I'm going to go with the Spitfire. Thank you all for your awesome suggestions, it was a huge help!!

One last questions (I hope). I did the volume calculator on Firewire's site and it recommended a volume between 30 - 33. Other surfers I've talked to say that the volume calculator is way too high and is not accurate, what do you guys think?

I'm 5'10, 165 lbs, 33 years old, and in excellent physical condition. I would judge myself as an "Intermediate" surfer.

The suggested size for the spitfire:
              5'8" - 20 - 2.4
              5'8" it is!

Comment

Let us know how it goes for you!

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                X