Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New spit for the Caribbean?

Hi guys,

I'm currently riding a 6'2" Alternator, have had it for 3 years and really like it. We surf some onshore spots here and I sometimes have trouble getting around sections and on weak swells I'll bog out at the top. I want something that will give me lots of speed off my bottom turn and not be too stiff when I get to the top and have the surface area to keep me moving up there too. I want to find the sweet spot so I can still turn it hard but not bog at the top. The 5'10 has a bit more volume than my Alt which is good for paddling in when I've been out of the water for a while. I wonder if anyone has guidance as to how much maneuverability difference there is between the 5'10 and 6'? Have any of you made a similar choice and what did you find?? I once made the mistake of getting a modern fish shape that was too long and didn't fit small waves well. I was never happy with it. I'm 6'1 and about 185.

Also, I'd like recommendations on a 5 fin set. I don't really break my fins out much and i want drive in small to just overhead waves. The machado fins sound a bit like what I'm after. Any ideas? Where I live there are no shops etc. so we have to travel or rely on the web for our choices.

Thanks guys!

Overall the Spit is a great choice for the kinds of waves I saw in the DR recently. You might also give the El Fuego a look too. If you are concerned about getting around sections, I have never ridden a board that does it as well as an EF. It has a much flatter foil than the Spit, which makes it super fast, but easier to pearl on a steep takeoff.

If I was choosing between the two, I'd ultimately be happy with either one, but given the number of reef breaks, I might edge a bit toward the Spitfire. This is because when it gets bigger, the waves will get steeper and punchier (compared to where I am (Pacific Northwest) where bigger waves tend to just break farther out with more or less the same shape as the smaller ones). The added rocker of the Spit suits a steeper wave better.

As for the spit I can't really comment on the differences between the 5'10 and the 6'0, other than to say that if you are used to a 6'2 Alt you should be just fine on the 5'10. Given how the Spit distributes the volume you may find the shorter board actually paddles better than what you are used to, even at the same volume. That extra little bit of foam can't hurt in the smaller days as well. I would not be surprised if someone here suggests a 5'8 for you. Personally, I'd go 5'10 at your size.

Fins: lots of people using lots of setups, but my favourite so far is the FCS H3 Nexus. They give my EF a serious amount of drive but remain snappy in turns. Very fluid ride compared to the PC7s I also use on bigger days. I get the feeling they would work nicely in the Spit as well. On one of the web reviews, Sam Lamiroy talks about setting up his as a thruster using MR-TX up front and an M5 (or PC5, whatever) in the back. Sounds like it would be fun to try that one out.
    Last edited by Gnubee; 03-01-2012, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnubee View Post
      Overall the Spit is a great choice for the kinds of waves I saw in the DR recently. You might also give the El Fuego a look too. If you are concerned about getting around sections, I have never ridden a board that does it as well as an EF. It has a much flatter foil than the Spit, which makes it super fast, but easier to pearl on a steep takeoff.

If I was choosing between the two, I'd ultimately be happy with either one, but given the number of reef breaks, I might edge a bit toward the Spitfire. This is because when it gets bigger, the waves will get steeper and punchier (compared to where I am (Pacific Northwest) where bigger waves tend to just break farther out with more or less the same shape as the smaller ones). The added rocker of the Spit suits a steeper wave better.

As for the spit I can't really comment on the differences between the 5'10 and the 6'0, other than to say that if you are used to a 6'2 Alt you should be just fine on the 5'10. Given how the Spit distributes the volume you may find the shorter board actually paddles better than what you are used to, even at the same volume. That extra little bit of foam can't hurt in the smaller days as well. I would not be surprised if someone here suggests a 5'8 for you. Personally, I'd go 5'10 at your size.

Fins: lots of people using lots of setups, but my favourite so far is the FCS H3 Nexus. They give my EF a serious amount of drive but remain snappy in turns. Very fluid ride compared to the PC7s I also use on bigger days. I get the feeling they would work nicely in the Spit as well. On one of the web reviews, Sam Lamiroy talks about setting up his as a thruster using MR-TX up front and an M5 (or PC5, whatever) in the back. Sounds like it would be fun to try that one out.
      Thanks Gnubee, I looked at all the wide nose, flat rocker boards like the EF and eventually decided that since our waves are choppy and are often flat with steep sections where you need some rocker and some grip to hold in. I've tried one though and the speed is great but it liked to flap around in chop and dive under steep sections sometimes.

I think you're right on the paddling too. Even in the choppy takeoffs the flat rocker and extra float should help. I'm hoping the wider flatter tail gets me through the bits where I often bog out but don't make the board too 'boaty'.

Your fin advice is great too. I'm still not clear on what system comes with the spit 5'10s i've been looking at online or if all designs are available in futures and fcs? I will just inquire from whatever shop I buy at I guess.

Thanks for your insight!

Comment

You can get the board in either Futures or FCS, so that is simply a matter of choice and preference. There are one or two boards that are only available in Futures (the MB I think). I'd also suggest spending a few extra bucks and going with the FST construction. Much more durable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnubee View Post
          You can get the board in either Futures or FCS, so that is simply a matter of choice and preference. There are one or two boards that are only available in Futures (the MB I think). I'd also suggest spending a few extra bucks and going with the FST construction. Much more durable.
          Good guidance, thanks. I got the 510 spit in FST with rusty quads. It has all the speed and snap I was looking for but I'm definitely working hard on the paddle to get it into smaller waves. Overall I really love it as it makes a lot of stuff easier than the alternator does in smaller waves. Working on my fin collection to try out some different feels. Quad is much more skatey and less locked in than thruster but speed is worth it for me. Really want to try a knub fin to straighten it out a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X