X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Spitfire step-up

I am sure this has been asked many times already, so I apologize in advance (new to the site). I have a 6'4" Spitfiire TT that I have been riding for about a month now (I use Futures AM2 thruster setup- I am not a quad guy). I think it's the best board I have ever owned up to about head high (face). However, I find that once the surf goes above a few feet overhead I really can't rely on it to hold in when pumping down the line (feels like the it just wants to slide out on me which makes sense given the shape of the board). So I am looking for a "step-up" board to complement it in surf from head high up to double overhead. Basically I want the board to work like the Spitfire, just in bigger surf. I have been considering a 6'8" Unibrow and 6'8" Hellfire and Hellrazor (not sure what size). I have read quite a bit about the Hellfire being the natural step-up to the Spitfire, but I don't understand that because the bottoms are so different (single concave all the way through versus a significant double concave all the way through). I am 6'3", around 220 lbs (100 kg), 44 years old, good shape, intermediate/advanced, surf 3-5 times a week in Carlsbad/San Diego at mostly mildly to moderately punchy beach breaks (not looking for a Puerto Escondido board) and reefs on occasion when the crowd's not too bad.

Please, anyone with some insight, I would love to hear what you have to say, especially if you have ridden some of the boards I mention above. Thanks!!!

Will be very interested to see what others reckon, I have same board as you 6'4" SF, and also a big unit at 205lb and 6'4" tall. I love the board from 1.5" - 4" but gets tricky at the 5" mark (double overhead). I was thinking 6'7 or 6'9" hellrazor personally as I think UB and HF are just too wide when I look at them in the board compare tool and rocker/concave differences aside almost a longer version of the same board. But I haven't actually tried either of these in these sizes so maybe shouldn't dismiss them. Personally I think I want something 6'8" x 20" at around the 38l mark as step up, something to paddle onto a wave easier when making the drop is critical, but thinner and longer for more rail bite, and more rocker too. Have been waiting to see if HZ mark two or V4 thunderbird step up eventuate this year, Alt also fits the bill I guess. What do other big guys out there reckon?

Comment

I think the HellRazor and alternator are the best bets for more forgiving step ups from the hybrids. V4 is another option. The new Hashtag has potential too.

Comment

I'm your exact size 6'3" and 220. Look at a 606 uni (608 is too much volume, not crazy, but for bigger waves the 606 will be better IMO). Hashtag is no good as max volume is about 4-5L less than what we need. I think a 609 hellrazor would be a good natural progression.

Comment

I agree with what the guys above are saying. If you want your 'step-up' to resemble your SF, then the HZ is a pretty standard, yet awesome hpsb to compliment the SF for the bigger days. If you're feeling a little more adventurous, the VG is a fantastic bigger wave board. I too surf in Carlsbad/ SD area all the time, and when it's bigger than about 5ft I'll take out my VG.

Also, you might want to check out the new Hashtag, as that will be more performance oriented than the SF, but a little less 'performancy' than the HZ or VG.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

• madisonmarbles
            madisonmarbles commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Josh,

Do you know when the Hell Razor will be available with a diamond tail?

Thanks Montygoesbanans, Phill, Justo and Josh!!! I appreciate the feedback.

Josh,

The HZ is the Hellrazor and the VG is the Vanguard, correct? What size would you recommend based on the my Spitfire being 41.5 liters?
          Last edited by madisonmarbles; 01-29-2014, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• madisonmarbles
            madisonmarbles commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Josh,

I checked the DEMO page but it needs updating. I am in Carlsbad so I am sure I can make it to one. And yes, please find out about the diamond tail on the HZ (best tail ever, IMHO!).

• Josh BL
            Josh BL commented
            Editing a comment
            So I just received information on this board. The Hellrazor 2 will be announced shortly but it is going to be a special order only. It will have a squash tail - similar to that of the current Hellrazor - just a slight modification to the way the foam is distributed across the board.

- FIJ

• Montygoesbananas
            Montygoesbananas commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for looking into this Josh. When you say special order is that via CBD or just a matter of ordering it through a surf shop that sells FW? Also curious if the length options remains the same, I'm torn between the 6'7" and 6'9" options (ie. would really love a 6'8" - currently on 6'4" Spitfire and would be using it for 4' - 6' days or really hollow 3')

Call me crazy but I ride a hellfire in the same volume as my spitfire when the waves get big. Feels familiar but can handle the steeper drops better and yes I am probably the only person that does this.

Comment

• madisonmarbles
            madisonmarbles commented
            Editing a comment
            Actually my initial impression was that the Hellfire was a "step-up" to the Spitfire, so that's what I was planning on getting. But once I saw the significant difference in bottom contour, I started to second guess myself.

So do you find that the Hellfire can be driven hard on 1.5 to 2x overhead surf without wanting to slide/skip out as you pump it down the line, especially frontside?

• Coastandtoast
            Coastandtoast commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't taken it out in 2x OH (never will) but at 1.5x it felt really good, fast and had a "locked in" feel but the waves were heavy and sectiony so myself and everyone out were just dropping and racing. It looked like a mini mavericks day lol. If I could change anything about my quiver it would be to replace the hellfire with a hashtag or unibrow since the spit and hellfire have too much crossover. oh yea and I was riding the Clay Marzo tech flex quad setup. Best fins ever.

• Coastandtoast
            Coastandtoast commented
            Editing a comment
            scratch that. replaced the hellfire with a hashtag.
        Working...
        X