X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire sizing delima

Hi all Another size problem I'm going to get a spitfire timber tec in either 600 or 602. I was planning on getting the 600 but the surf shop owner is trying to convince me to get a 602 or even a 604. He thinks that the size charts on here are more geared to the experienced surfers I'm 5'11 and about 83 kg (180lbs) I am a advanced beginner surfer and want something to progress my skills to be more fluent in making turns. I'm not the strongest paddler going around but also want this to improve. Will be surfing a mix of beach and point breaks around the waist to head high Any help would be greatly appreciated Cheers

You were correct. A 600 for your weight is good for a high level beginner. You could look at a 510 and also be ok. Based on a GF of .42 you should be on between 34 and 35 litres.

Comment

I'm same size as jd494949 and have over 40 years of experience on short boards. Size and volume depends on purpose - is it for small beach breaks? or a general everyday board? I've got a 6'4" spitfire that hasn't been wet for a couple of months due to a submoon. I have always gone to the top end according to volume calculator particularly for a small wave board as they have less push and the crowd factor in sub 4 foot is another problem. Hence submoon in summer crowds is fabulous and in small winter waves the spitfire will be used. You can only surf waves IF you can beat the crowd to catch them and volume, if distributed properly, will allow this!

Comment

Jambo. This will be a bit of an every day board that I will be used in a variety of waves up to head high. Crowds aren't a huge issue for me most of the time

Comment

I think you should go the 6'00" based on your height (you could go smaller but based on your experience level I think the 6 is a good starting point). I ride a 6'4" but am 6'4" tall and 92kg so reckon I can probably sink a rail on the bigger board better than a smaller guy, and I use it from 1.5' mush like yesterday in Sydney but have taken it out in up to 5'-6' but above 4' it really starts to hit its limits. Awesome board, ride it as a quad I reckon - it grovels really well, but goes great in 3' walled up waves.

Comment

Yeah was planning to ride it as a quad Monty. Which brings more questions FCS or Futures? And which ones? I must be turning into a proper surfer - I don't put this much thought into buying a car or a house haha

Comment

I run kinetic racing x4 quad because mine came fcs, lot of people like the rusty r2 as a quad as well, and they come in a five fin option in futures and fcs so you can run it as thruster set as well. People also rate the rastas and stretch fins with spitfire but i havent had a chance to try these ones out. The new fcs 2 system looks good, think they have some new fins in this setup but haven't heard any reviews yet. Guessing if you buy new it would be the fcs 2 fin box though as its been around a couple of months now.

Comment

Your weight, get futures and run the stretch quad. It's magic.

Comment

Jd, I'm 6'0" 170 intermediate, in decent shape, and ride a 5'10". I'm stuck in the far Northeast and don't get much time out of a wetsuit and the 5'10" is great. If I get to go somewhere warm again I'll probly get a 5'8". I think the 6'0 would be a good fit for you. I have the Rusty quad in Futures and LOVE them. My stretch quads will be here soon but everyone says they're amazing in the spitfire.

Comment

Thanks monty, justo, Jambo and Zach for your input and advice. Still haven't made a final decision but pretty sure I will be getting the 600 sf.

Comment

To give you more insight, I was riding a 600 SF when I was 200lb. It was the best board I've ever owned. I rode it from knee high, to 1.5x OH. below head high I ran the stretch quad, and over that I ran either JC1 blackstix or the JC1 fronts with stretch quad rears. I'm now 225lb and sink the 600 SF.

Comment

Working...
                      X