Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Board

Hi Guys.

I'm looking for some advice on a new board. I thought I'd start in the Spitfire section as I already have one.

I'm 42, 6'2 and 95 Kgs. I surfed when I was a teenager in Durban, then gave it up when I moved to the UK (land locked) and started again a year ago (in NZ).
    Started out on a longboard and got straight back into it, so started the hunt for a shorter board. I tried a few short, wide grovel boards but didn't like them (to loose and skatey). I managed to pick up a 6'10 Spitfire for a really good price and have spent a couple of months catching everything I paddle for. The problem is it's to big.

I really like the shape so I think I'll just go for a smaller one but I thought I'd get some opinions before pulling the trigger.

My main (beach) break is Muriwai (Auckland west coast) but I also head up the NE coast when the swell arrives (rarely). Waves are from knee/thigh to just over head high (where it maxes out) and are fairly fat at anything other than low tide. Very rarely hollow offshore. Surfing in the pocket can quite often be frustrating as you spend a lot of time navigating around foam (broken lines) to get to the next section. The most fun days are out on the open face.

So....Spitfire? Dominator? Anything else?
    I can demo a 6'8 Dominator but nothing at 6'6 (apart from an Addvance).

Any help appreciated.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by clutch; 04-28-2014, 12:57 AM.

Grab a 604 spitfire. That will be great for you.

Comment

Thanks justo.

Is there a reason why the 6'4? The volume calculator suggests a higher volume but I'm happy to go on human experience.

Comment

I was riding a 600 when I was 90kg. It went VERY well. I could have easily gone a 510. Now I'm 102kg and would look at a 604. I think you could go anywhere from a 602 to a 606. Too big and you'll have the same issue you're having now, too small and you won't catch anything. If you're early intermediate go the 606, intermediate 604, int/advanced 602. If you rip the bag out of waves you would probably want a 510.

Comment

Also, I recommend riding this board as a quad. I've tried many different fin set ups and found the futures stretch quads to the the ducks nuts.

Comment

I'd go with Justos recommendations, 6'4" and ride it as a quad. I ride the 6'4" FST SF, my stats 36y/o, 6'4" tall, 92kg.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I can demo a 6'4 Dominator but the shop doesn't have any Spitfires.
              I've tried quads a couple of times but never got on with them. Swapped in a couple of different FCS set ups but couldn't get a handle on them. Thrusters just seem perfectly natural to me. Should I be looking at a different board if the Spitfire doesn't suit thrusters. Could it be part of the issue with my current (over sized) board.

Cheers.

Comment

• justo
                justo commented
                Editing a comment
                if you can demo the 604 DM you should. They are pretty much the same board, just a different tail section. The DM will have more smoother and drawn out turns and the SF will be snappier in the pocket. Paddling and wave catching will be identical.

Hey clutch. Spitfire will suit a thruster fine. Just a lot of boards with wide tails go great as quads. I was the same as you at first. I got my first quad, was sliding out, stuffing turns etc... But then it clicked. If you go futures fins, grab the EA thruster set. You can then get quad rears (cheap) and try them out, if you don't like it quad, the EAs are grade A fins. Can't go wrong.

Comment

Thanks justo.

It's awesome to get advice from someone with loads of experience with the board.

Comment

Just a bit more info to throw into the pot.
                  I went out early this morning on my 6'10. Standing on the beach afterwards speaking to a local I'm often in the water with I discovered a bit more about my surfing. She caught my last wave on her iPhone. Turns out I'm way more front footed than I thought. Board still has way too much float.

Comment

She is filming you - well done old chap!!!!! Seriously it should not make any difference other than speed up exit from turn. Watch Fanning and Parko surf and they do not lean heavily on back foot and so they get that speed whereas watch those who cut their teeth on single fins and they are back foot heavy throughout the turn and often the whole wave. You still need to use your back foot and weight at times but most modern shapes are designed for this style of surfing. Most surfers now ride with a more neutral weight distribution these days as equipment and watching the pros leads us. Demo the 6'8" check volume and adjust as it suits as dom/spit are similar type hybrid boards.

Comment

Just to tie up the loose ends as I hate reading threads without a conclusion....

Finally got a demo organised. The 6'4 Dom was out so I took out a 6'2 V2 Rocket (39L). I'll do a write up and post in the V2 section, but needless to say I won't be going down the Dom/Spit route.

Cheers.

Comment

Yes the V2 is a very good option - in fact has anyone ridden a Firewire "dog"????? I had reservations about the fat arsed boards sold by Firewire but I am a convert. Mind you I have also added the extra fin and prefer them as quads in most waves.

Comment

Just loving the fact that Firewire offers so many different types of board. Shows the importance of getting a demo to find the board that suits.

Comment

Working...
                          X