Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Spitfire the right volume for me?

I impulse bought a six month old Spitfire off Craigslist for $480:

6'8" x 21 3/4" x 3" = 48.7 L volume

I'm 6'5", 225lbs and an intermediate surfer. Opinions on volume and dimensions of this board for me? I've been surfing a custom shaped 6'10" Doug Haut swallow tail variant of his Pumpkin Seed shape when conditions are waist to chest high here in Santa Cruz (super corky, but easy to paddle), and a 6'6" Mini Simmons when it is small and/or mushy (as it has been a lot of late). I have Ward Coffey shaping me a 6'7" thumb tail for when it gets overhead, and was looking for something that would fit into my quiver for waves in the chest to overhead range.

in my opinion it's too big. I'd have you on a 604 spitfire... However, in saying that a lot of people go really well on over volumed spitfires. Give it a crack, play with fins, worst case scenario you should come close to getting your money back.

Comment

yeah you could go smaller or you could also stick with the size understanding what the larger board will do for your ride and the overall performance...
      At your size and weight you'll have no problem making it go, you just might have to be okay with the board feeling a little bit better in smaller conditions.

Cheers and hope this helps

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I had it out for the first time at Fort Point in weak, knee to chest high surf. It did ok, but I think it wants a bit more energy to get going at my weight. We should have some decent swell next week here in Santa Cruz, so I have high hopes! BTW - I'm riding it with a quad + center nub Futures AM2 setup. Will be interesting to try it both this way and as a thruster.

Comment

Working...
        X