Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator or Spitfire? 5'6 5'7 5'8.....

an age old question that has been asked many times but I'm REALLY having a tough time deciding so I figured I'd get input from the experts...

Height 5'9
    WEight: 155LBS 70kg also wear a 4/3 or 5/4 with booties
    Years Surfing: 2.5
    Abliity: Early intermediate - surf 1-2x week unless its good then more
    Boards: 6'6 ADDvance
    Breaks: Mostly N. California beach breaks (typically messy surf, some spots mushy and some powerful but rarely hollow)
    Waves: waist to a few feet overhead

I was ready to pull the trigger on a 5'8 SPIT (31L) for the added hold in head-high waves even though I have been eyeing a DOM for a long time. I'm just nervous its going to feel too big after a few months. The 5'6 Spit seems like an even bigger risk.

I then saw that firewire is making the DOM in 5'7 at (29.4), which seems like the best of both worlds. I know the DOM/SPIT are the same boards from fins to nose but which will be more versatile? Can the SPIT grovel? Can the DOM handle 6 foot faces with power? Is the DOM that much easier to surf than the SPIT? Is the size more important than which model board?

I've been searching craigslist for a year so I could try one out without buying new but its just not happening so I am going to place an order ASAP!

Thanks for any/all advice!

I think the Spitfire will handle bigger waves - spitfire evolved from Dominator - slightly more "performance". So it handles 2 foot and up to maybe 8 foot but I get the Unibrow out for that. Dominator is probably on limit at 6 foot plus. Check out rockers (pity you can't line them up like board comparison) and I think you will find Dominator flatter so not as good in steep and juicy waves as Spitfire. Waist to OH waves that you indicate above makes me feel you need Spitfire. By the way they look very nice in Timber!!!!!!
    Can the Spit grovel - just had a session with my son in 1 to 2 foot - he has been in Norway 12 months no waves; catching anything he wanted - it can grovel. He is 6'4" 75kgs and was on a 6'4" Spitfire in 3/2 Steamer mid Australian winter - water 21 C air 20 C about as cold as she gets in Northern NSW - still using sun screen. Get the spitty and enjoy! Also Spitfire -noble name - great WW2 fighter swooping and diving - Dominator need a leather mask and whip!!!!!!! (Seriously though both very similar but Spitfire shades it slightly)

Comment

Rocker is exactly the same on the dom and spitfire. The only difference is the tail. Dom will be more fluent and carvy and slightly better on smaller waves, the spit is snappier and better in bigger waves. The step down tail gives extra bite when in gets hollower. At 90kg I had a 600 spit and it was epic.

Comment

Also, if you're not a pro, 1" in size you will barely notice. Just get what you're comfortable with.

Comment

Im worried that the 5'8 is going to feel too big in the SPIT or DOM after a few months. Lots of posts about not going too big but surfers around here seem to favor foam. If I go with the 5'8 and it feels clunky do you think either board would have a place in my quiver moving forward? Maybe as a pure groveler? But... I'm drawn to these boards for their versatility in the waves I usually surf waist to head.

Comment

Hey SF, at your height and weight, the 508 will max out at a smaller wave size, but be a little easier to use on smaller days. the 506 options will definitely be big enough for your, but offer a bit more performance. I would recommend that you go with the spitfire because you already have the small waves covered with the addvance. Then as far as sizing goes, i would just trust your gut! You'll likely be happy with either!

Comment

thanks jambo, justo, and chris for the responses. Spitfire it is! I'm still a bit torn between the 5'8 and the 5'6. I'm leaning 5'8 purely for wave count. If I need to go down in volume in the future it will be a result of my improved skills...cant get upset about that.

Comment

A good choice and a little extra foam helps when in wetsuit, crowded or a little lazy and unfit. No board performs well until it is ON the wave. Let us all know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                X