X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5' 10" vs 6'0 Spitfire

im 173 pounds intermediate surfer. Can't decide between the 5' 10" or 6'0 spitfire. this probably be the board i take to costa rica. Any thoughts on what should i buy

I'm about 185lbs, 6'1 and have just put an order in for the 6' spitty. I'm an intermediate surfer too.
    I was thinking that I have maybe gone a size too big, so for you I would defo go the 5'10.
    I'm going off the premise that it's best not to go too big so you can bust the moves out when you're up and surfing, providing the wave isn't too big.
    Also, make sure you have just enough paddle for the weak days.
    I was tossing up the wait for the custom size 5'11 but the wait may be too loooooong.
    Hope this helps...

Comment

175 here 5'6" intermediate and have a 5'8" spit and it is perfect up to solid 5ft. Could not imagine riding a 5'10".

Comment

5'8" no doubt.Where in Costa Rica are you planning on surfing?

Comment

Hey abwilli4,
          in my opinion, as an intermediate, you certainly could ride the 510 and be happy. It just depends on your ability, what you are used to and your preferences.

You could go with the 508 and like that, but if you are still developing, the 510 may make things easier. I wouldn't suggest you go any bigger though.

Cheers and hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Its definitely ruled out the 6'0''. Makes me wonder if I should go for the 5'8''.

I just bought my plane ticket last week. Couple buddies and I are going in the 2 week of June and Im going to stay for 10 days. two of the guys are staying for a month.

Its all the time I could manage to take off. Plan on bringing whatever spitfire I decide to buy and my step up.

Comment

510 or even the 508 has plenty of float and paddle for a 173lb. intermediate to advanced surfer. Your height and also what you're used to know may also factor. For instance if you're on the taller side (say 6'2" or taller) and/or are used to longer boards then 510 may work better. But if you're at or less than 6' in height and are okay with shorter boards -- maybe you dabble with the occasional fish type boards -- then I would definitely go shorter.

Have fun in CR!

Comment

yeah have a good trip!!!

Comment

So i ended up purchasing the 5 10. I wanted to have a lil more volume than the 5 8. I am pumped about getting it on the water. It should be delivered in the next few days.

It is going to be a future fin setup. Anybody have any suggestions on what quad setup they like?

Thanks for the input

Comment

V2F4 are prettty fun
                    Elevons as well
                    Solus as thruster, my favourites

Comment

Ive been looking at the Elevons for a quad setup and the solus as a thruster.

What surf/ style is best do you find best for each setup?

Comment

Elevons will definitely give you a little extra lift on those average conditions. Perfectly suited for flatter rockered boards
                        The Solus are a blast. The little center hatchet makes this setup to be very loose off the top and the base gives them nice drive
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUq4eKlYNSU

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL_QCiFjRIM

Comment

yeah iggy. you could be a surf tech web librarian.....

Comment

I just like to be informed ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X