X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire Sizing 200lbs 6'0 Intermediate

I'm planning to get a Spitfire for surfing in Cornwall, UK.

I'm 6'0, 200lbs and intermediate standard, surfing 4 or more times a week. I was thinking about either a 6'0 or a 6'2.

I ride a 6'4 alternator as my go-to board, I'm looking at the spitfire for grovelling or gutless waves. I'm not too worried about wave count - I can catch waves fine with 34litres, it's getting up speed that I'm interested in. Will I notice a big difference between the 6'0 and the 6'2? I really want to throw it around but I'm worried that the 6'0 will be too small, and I won't be able to get it moving in the smaller stuff. (Any recommendations for some fast loose quad fins would be appreciated too).

Hey aidanewen, I think at 200 lbs you might like the larger of the two options here. I think you have the weight to make the board work, but the extra volume in the 602 will just increase the board's small wave usability.

Again, it comes down to preference so if you far prefer less length and volume, then you could get after the 600, but the above is my initial reaction.

Cheers!

Comment

Sounds good to me. 602 it is! (that's what the guy at the store thought too). Thanks Chris.

Comment

Hi, I'm thinking of beefing up at spitfire 600 or maybe 511 via the CBD to reach a volume around 38 liters, has enyone some experience with this? I'm kind of thinking of this to get at shorter board for the smaller days, or should I then just consider a potato-nator instead? Today I have a spitfire in 604, it works well in the very small stuff, but as soon as I can I switch to my alt 608.

Aidanewen, how is the Alt 604 working for you, Im around 10 lbs heavier then you, but are seriously thinking of getting a performance shortboard around 604 606, wy current favorite picks are the thick version of the MB 604 or an alt 604 maybe with a bit extra volume. A board i can use in between the spit and alt... On good days, but less then 10 feet frontside. An alternative I'm considering is the hellfire in 604, just think is wide, however don't know how it would feel compared to a spitfire....beaing a weekend surfer, I want an easy to surf performance board.....

Cheers

Comment

i vote a little extra volume to get through those grovel sections.

Comment

Aid, I'm your weight and height, and recently picked up a 6'2" spit. Absolutely LOVE it for 2-4 feet. Although I do like a bit of volume as not the best paddler. The drop down rail in the tail is fantastic, gives the board a really safe and secure feeling, even when you're caught out in slightly bigger than ideal conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by aidanewen View Post
              I'm planning to get a Spitfire for surfing in Cornwall, UK.

I'm 6'0, 200lbs and intermediate standard, surfing 4 or more times a week. I was thinking about either a 6'0 or a 6'2.

I ride a 6'4 alternator as my go-to board, I'm looking at the spitfire for grovelling or gutless waves. I'm not too worried about wave count - I can catch waves fine with 34litres, it's getting up speed that I'm interested in. Will I notice a big difference between the 6'0 and the 6'2? I really want to throw it around but I'm worried that the 6'0 will be too small, and I won't be able to get it moving in the smaller stuff. (Any recommendations for some fast loose quad fins would be appreciated too).
              I'm your height and weight too, and as you can see I ride the 6'0 spitfire but I have been surfing for 40+ years and have spent so much time in saltwater I talk like a pirate (arrrr). 34.9L is plenty of volume for me to get it moving, but that's where some real subtleties come into play, probably best to err on the side of volume! Especially for the weaker stuff, which means the 6'2" should be the ticket.

Originally posted by Ben View Post
              Hi, I'm thinking of beefing up at spitfire 600 or maybe 511 via the CBD to reach a volume around 38 liters, has enyone some experience with this? I'm kind of thinking of this to get at shorter board for the smaller days, or should I then just consider a potato-nator instead? Today I have a spitfire in 604, it works well in the very small stuff, but as soon as I can I switch to my alt 608.

Aidanewen, how is the Alt 604 working for you, Im around 10 lbs heavier then you, but are seriously thinking of getting a performance shortboard around 604 606, wy current favorite picks are the thick version of the MB 604 or an alt 604 maybe with a bit extra volume. A board i can use in between the spit and alt... On good days, but less then 10 feet frontside. An alternative I'm considering is the hellfire in 604, just think is wide, however don't know how it would feel compared to a spitfire....beaing a weekend surfer, I want an easy to surf performance board.....

Cheers
              I don't think you can beef up a CBD that much, that is, a 6'0 spit (at 34.9L) to 38L ...but I guess the CBD program will tell you what is possible, I've mucked around with it and there are limits to the dimensional changes you can make.

Comment

The other things I'd add to Slowman's comments responsive to Ben is I personally don't think you'd notice a great deal of difference between a 6'0" Spit and a 6'2" Spit and if you wouldn't notice a big difference then why not just go the 6'2" if you're aiming for 38 litres and not worry about the hassle of CBD? At your weight and height there's no risk of overvoluming/excess length (imho). Or if you're after a considerably more porked up Dom/Spit then maybe the Potatonator would be the go at 5'10" or 6'0" instead?

Comment

great stuff guys. thanks for the words!

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'm definately set on the 6'2. I'm a month or so off getting it, but I'll feed back as soon as I've had it in the water a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben View Post
                      I love it! It's the best board I've had.

Comment

stoked to hear!

Comment

I ordered my 6'2 spitfire with Down The Line, but it's going to take 2-3 months to get it in (I wanted futures rather than fcs). Shame there's not more demand for futures in the UK!

Comment

I'm 510 180 lbs and I have lost so many waves in my life that I decided to go with some volume. I ride a 604 Spit and love it. I rarely paddle for something and lose it to someone else (even longboards). The extra volume hasn't really held me back either as I feel my turns are still crisp. I've surfed it 3' to 10' and feel it is versitile in a range of conditions. Lately I've had a few sessions that made me think 'wow, this is THE board.'

Comment

I hope I say the same when I finally take mine out (same size as you and just got a 6'4"). I just got it to replace a 6'6" al merrick red beauty, 6'4" griffin 5 fin Modfish and a stretch 6'5" F4 quad surf tech. The surf tech was my favorite board, but I did lose a few waves as I am just over 40 years old and the thing only has 33L of volume. Hoping the volume of the Spit will get me more waves. Wave count is what matters to me, the Spit is so light, what I give up in volume and size, the wt should help me throw it around a little bit, plus, I am not really a vertical surfer anyway, just work it like a half pipe, then when It it starts to close out it try and pull a floater or hit the lip real hard. I am not into trying big maneuvers and having a good chance of falling if there is still plenty of wave/shoulder to ride. I guess that is why
                              Originally posted by Superfreak View Post
                              I'm 510 180 lbs and I have lost so many waves in my life that I decided to go with some volume. I ride a 604 Spit and love it. I rarely paddle for something and lose it to someone else (even longboards). The extra volume hasn't really held me back either as I feel my turns are still crisp. I've surfed it 3' to 10' and feel it is versitile in a range of conditions. Lately I've had a few sessions that made me think 'wow, this is THE board.'

Comment

Working...
                              X