X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'6 spitfire - the right fins for the right waves

I know there's lots of threads about fins for spitfires etc but each board and person is different.
    I'm currently using FG5's as a thruster on mine which 8/10 times is fine, but i'm finding that when the wave are chest high and really hollow they aren't holding in very well on those late sideways takeoff's.

Maybe the board is a little too short for that type of wave and i'm not getting in early enough but just wondered if a set of G7's or some G5/G3 quads would hold better. I don't really want to go down the quad route but if makes the boards better in sucky waves i might have to?

I'm 155lbs/70kg - 5,9 so its the perfect size board and i have it out in overhead waves but i think i might need more that just one set of fins?

Hey Baker,
    Part of riding really steep waves is going to come down to board choice and technique as well. its hard to say if stepping up to the 7s will completely fix the problem. It will likely help a bit, but that feeling of losing the fins is also in part caused by the width and rocker of the board and the area in the tail. Getting the board to engage can some times just take a little more experience. I know I personally like a little more rocker and a little less width when it gets steep because that allows you and the board to engage better.

That being said, if you only are looking to change fins going larger could help for sure!!

Cheers

Comment

I get you Chris, and i'm sure in an ideal world i think the answer is something like a 5'8 hellfire...i'm just having so much fun on the spitfire i don't know if i would use it that much. Maybe i was just having an off day, it happens!

Comment

If its steep and you're taking off late and sideways some initial fin drift is normal. I kind of like that feeling. I use PC7s and GAMs , so pretty big find.

Comment

Something with more rake like the K3 would provide a bit more grip on the face.

Comment

Prj - have you tried K3's in a spit yet, i nearly bought some of the new eco green ones the other day but didn't think they would make much difference to a set of G5's?

Comment

Yeah after trying a bunch of different fins they were pretty much what I settled on in the Spitfire. That extra rake gives it a bit more bite on the face, hold through turns and positive drive off the bottom. I didn't find any kind of stickiness or anything that could be expected from such raked fins, but others may have different experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                Yeah after trying a bunch of different fins they were pretty much what I settled on in the Spitfire. That extra rake gives it a bit more bite on the face, hold through turns and positive drive off the bottom. I didn't find any kind of stickiness or anything that could be expected from such raked fins, but others may have different experiences.
                Cool thanks, my mate just put his shoulder out so i'll see if he'll lend me his for when this new swell comes in next week.

Comment

Good call!

Comment

Working...
                  X