X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest waves you have surfed on the Spitfire

Theres one in the DOM section, thought it might be interesting to see the same thread but with the Spit. Biggest waves you have surfed on your Spit, Biggest you have surfed comfortably and what you think the limit is ? I know Sam Lam mentioned in his review he surfs it in everything.

I surfed mine in up to head and a half steep, walled up waves but it was pretty much safety surfing and racing. I'm not sure how it'd perform if you were going to be going top to bottom trying to lay down big carves in those conditions. Gut instinct says you'd be struggling.
    I reckon the peak of the Spitfire's performance window will be in the chest to shoulder high range on steeper waves, but not top to bottom barreling waves. That's when you'll be able to push that board hardest and as it gets smaller you'd need to push a little less and as it gets bigger you'd have to start nursing a little bit.

That's my view at least.

Comment

I surfed mine in good head high low tide croyde and was really fun, surfed it as a quad and felt like it was locked in like on train tracks especially on my back hand. Think the hellfire would have been awesome, for me anyway as I dont really have high performance shortboards in my quiver.

Comment

With you 2ft dude, took my 5'6 out in head high croyde couple of weeks back, went like a dream on the lefts, wind was stopping me getting in the right spot on the rights unless some smaller ones came through but she held in there!

Its my only board so no other choices really.

Comment

good stuff Baker!! definitely a versatile little board!

Comment

I surfed mine in "head and half" barreling Nicaragua and it went better than my Flexfire. It's probably because I surf it 90% of time and just new how to make it happen. I don't think it will do double overhead. Well, I think that I could, but only in survival mode where I have use my core and try to hang on until the steep part of the wave has passed.

Comment

Does the DOM and Spitfire seem to surf incredibly well going left? I was very surprised at how well mine went.

Comment

I like the going left (mybackside) on the Dom as a thruster, need that fin release. Ive torn some heavy slashes with it.

Comment

5 foot Gas Chambers on Oahu, almost double overhead. Air dropped in and made a couple solid turns under the lip. I'm still running away from the barrel though. I guess I have to try it in there sooner or later. It's a super fun board with lots of speed but gotta get into waves early or not at all. Works pretty well in town waves but I'll be looking for a different country board next season.

Comment

I vouch for backside, think that drop rail keeps it held in there. I've only ever use it as a thruster, will maybe try as a quad in the summers when the waves go a bit slop, something like a G5/GX setup.

Comment

Originally posted by beetles View Post
                      5 foot Gas Chambers on Oahu, almost double overhead. Air dropped in and made a couple solid turns under the lip. I'm still running away from the barrel though. I guess I have to try it in there sooner or later. It's a super fun board with lots of speed but gotta get into waves early or not at all. ...
                      That's what I've found too. I've had mine out in solid 2 feet overhead and once up and riding I found it handles pretty well. The takeoff is the critical part when it gets steep.

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      I surfed mine in up to head and a half steep, walled up waves but it was pretty much safety surfing and racing. I'm not sure how it'd perform if you were going to be going top to bottom trying to lay down big carves in those conditions. Gut instinct says you'd be struggling.
                      I reckon the peak of the Spitfire's performance window will be in the chest to shoulder high range on steeper waves, but not top to bottom barreling waves. ...
                      Yeah definitely, for takeoff on steeper stuff that's its comfort zone. I target knee to head high for my spitfire and then for anything bigger it's time for the hellfire though there have been some overhead days where I went home and got the spitfire just because the waves were a bit fat and the spitfire paddles onto them easier. I find once up, on the spitfire it surfs steep sections OK like fattish takeoff sections followed by a barreling reform shorebreak section are fine. It certainly goes nicely off the bottom up into the lip and releases off the top nicely. Mind you I'm not talking double overhead but up to a couple of feet overhead.

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
                      Does the DOM and Spitfire seem to surf incredibly well going left? I was very surprised at how well mine went.
                      :) Mine likes going north!

Comment

Working...
                      X