X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator or Spitfire

So I have a 6'2" DOM and really want a 6'0" Spitfire. They are not cheap new, although a RF DOM 6'0" is for sale in my area and it is FCS. Just so I am thinking clearly is the FST really worth the extra strength? And is the Spitfire really that different?

Just thinking about things.

Brent
    Last edited by hwork50; 04-24-2012, 06:35 PM.

Not only the strength, its a different feeling as well

Comment

It's a trap isn't it? :-) When you add $$$ into the picture it complicates things doesn't it? :-)

It's simple really, forget about money and the other BS and just think about what you want! You really want a 6'0 FST Spitfire FCS, don't you? Buying something else because it seems like a bargain is just money that could have been saved and put towards what you really want and ultimately wasted. Keep saving your money towards what you really want, it will most likely be cheaper in the long run, and if what you really want comes up on eBay or Craigslist, you can pounce on the opportunity to make a saving while getting what you want. Buying something else because the price is right is a false saving in my experience.

Comment

Brent, how does the Futura compare to the Hellfire? I have a Hellfire on order and I'm therefore curious, as I was choosing between those two boards.

Comment

PS I agree get the board you really want. If you don't you'll always have a nagging suspicion you're missing out on something. Having said that Slowman and Chris have both said there's not a huge amount of difference between the Dom and Spit. My interpretation is its probably a similar performance difference as changing FG FCS fins for PC ones.

Comment

I agree also about getting the board you want. I bought a 5'10 Dominator a couple of years ago because there weren't any 5'8"s in stock. I spend the next 4 months wondering how a 5'8" would have been until I traded it in and got a 5'8" Spitfire.

Comment

Great comments on all of that. I will be saving towards the Spitfire as I am ready to go down in volume. As far as the Futura goes I think it is a great board and wish I would have started with a 6'4" as I started with the 6'2 and would have gotten a lot more waves. Make sure that you look at the volume calculator as there is a difference in the Futura and the Hellfire in size on that for sure.

I personally like the 5 fin set-up of the hellfire and will be doing more surfing on that as I have only surfed it about 3-4 sessions. I just got a SP and love my DOM so much it is hard to switch up unless it gets bigger (4-6 foot).

I am going to stick with FST and will get a 6'0" Spitfire as I am so excited about getting that board. My quiver will have the following boards in it:

5'6" SP
              6'2" DOM
              6'0" Spitfire
              6'2" Hellfire

That will pretty much keep me busy and happy in almost any condition.

Comment

Thanks, and good luck! I like FST too - more durable. Only a month and a bit until Futura D day as in delivery day for me!

Comment

Had a spit on rapid-fire and got the exact same board on FST and Is my go to board now!!

Comment

Iggy,

Had did those 2 board compare? FST to Rapidfire? I am sold on the FST tech personally. Buzzy, congrats you will be totally stoked, is that a 5 fin set-up?

Brent

Comment

Yeah, I expect so. It's brand new, have to wait two months for delivery new, so yeah, it should have the 5 fin boxes. I'll probably surf it as a thruster the vast majority of the time though - if it's soft enough I'm tempted to use a quad set up I'd probably be using the Dom for that.

Comment

I had the MRTX fins in there with a small trailer and it went really well. Before that I had a tough time on the board, as I think I should have gotten the next size up. Oh well, live and learn.

Comment

Yeah, I'm ordering this board a little bit blind. I know I can carry less foam than in my 6'4" Dom and 6'8" Alt @ 90kg provided the wave has a little push to it, but the question is "how much less?" The Hellfire definitely carries a bit more foam at the same length. Given it is noticeably wider at the same length (6'4" being my reference point) it carries a tad less foam, suggesting it's quite refined, relatively speaking anyway. I've felt up the 6'4" Hellfire and it felt about right volume wise...I'll just see...if I hate it I can always use it as a trade in on a 6'4" Hellfire. I'm reasonably confident I'll be fine though. I'd love it if I could get that thickness and width Futura in a 6'6" - it'd be almost ideal based on past boards and allowing for the fact I'm fatter and slower to my feet than I once was. But 6'4" should be fine.

Comment

You should be fine as that would be the perfect size board for me. I am going to go to Surfride and feel up a couple of boards tomorrow, should be fun.

Brent

Comment

ohhh boyyyyy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X