Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Best fin set up for quad? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best fin set up for quad?

    I just got a 6'4" spitifire and I am an intermediate surfer, 5'11" 185 lbs. I prefers quads and fish to thrusters. Favorite board is. Stretch F4 quad 6'5" surf tech (hopefully I like the spitfire better). I was running STretch quads on that board.

    I have a futures set up and a set of AM2 fronts and standard futures 375 trailers. Is that a good place to start or should I get something else? Bummer thing is all my other boards are FCS which means I can't demo my other fins with this board, which I have a lot of (MRTFX, Stretch quad, griffin G10, speed dialers, etc...).

    Advice?

  • #2
    Futures stretch quads?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      Futures stretch quads?
      They look pretty similar in shape to what I already have, but the AM2 are larger. Since they are so close, I should probably see how the AM2 do before I buy something so similar. Was just wondering if there was an obvious magical choice.

      Update, just compared the rear of my futures 375 to the stretch rear. Pretty much identical, the stretch has a very slight larger base, slight. The AM2 compared to the stretch fronts are a little longer, but the tip is more narrow. Similar sweep. I am betting that with the level of surfer I am, there is no way I could tell the difference of these 2 fin set ups. Slater could probably tell with his eyes closed.
      Last edited by barney; 04-26-2012, 04:42 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I don't know much about futures fins but I always thought Futures AM2 = FCS GAM, which are quite different from the FCS SF4 (Stretch) fins. GAMs and therefore I would think have a shorter base but greater rake angle...they may look to be about the same size but subtle differences in rake angle, height and base length can make quite a bit of difference in performance characteristics. I would expect the AM2s to be stiffer and draw longer arcs, but because the tip has a bit of flex they tend to release nicely in a very controlled manner (telepathically almost). But I'll say this, I think you will find they make the spitfire too stiff.

        I ride FCS R2s in the spitfire with a little stabiliser and it is loose, pivotal and fast. I believe the Futures have a Rusty quad set which I think would be similar. I'd be going with that end of the spectrum of fins, good base but more upright for tighter arcs. And if you find it lacks a little bit of drive, add a little stabiliser, if you don't like that idea then choose a quad set that has a little more emphasis on drive. I used to have a Stretch F4 6'5" and I'll tell you now, you'll love the spitfire, it is a better board. I went down to a 6'0" and love it in knee high to just overhead. I tried FCS GMB quads (Q1000 80/20 rears) which are a tad looser than the FCS GAM quads (with Q1000 80/20 foiled rears) in my dom and I found them too stiff and I was getting hung up in the lip. It's possible with the extra bit of release in the GAMs it might have been better but the R2s are much looser and seem to suit my spitfire better for me.

        You will need to get down to comparing area, base length, height, rake angles and tip shapes and flex characteritics...generally the manufacturer has a bit of a helpful write up for each fin set that is helpful too and gives you some general guidance in where is sits in the spectrum of stiff to loose, drivey to neutral, hold to slide and so on. Start with your AM2s and then at least you'll know whether it's too stiff/too drivey and so on.

        Comment


        • #5
          Great info, thanks!!!!

          Would also be interested in hearing more about your Stretch vs Spitfire.

          Another something I found. A set of futures T1 512 front fins. Here is the template

          http://www.monstermarketplace.com/pe...e-fins-t1-twin

          The fins are HUGE, meant for a twin fin. Funny thing is, I have a set of probox boxes on a hanel quad fish I have with larrys fibre glas fin company fins on it. I found the absolute perfect quad fins and placement for that board. When I compare those fins to these futures 512 T1 fins, they have the exact outline!!!! I damaged one of them in past and had to quickly find a replacement until I fixed it, sure enough I found the FCS MRTX fins to be vert very close and used those as well. The point of this story is that many people have said the MR front fins work really well on the spitfire with a small trailer, as a thruster. I was bummed because my MR fins are FCS, but now I am stocked since I found another thruster set of front fins I can try.

          Now I just need to figure out what rear fin people have been using with the MR twin fronts.

          Anyone know?



          Originally posted by Slowman View Post
          I don't know much about futures fins but I always thought Futures AM2 = FCS GAM, which are quite different from the FCS SF4 (Stretch) fins. GAMs and therefore I would think have a shorter base but greater rake angle...they may look to be about the same size but subtle differences in rake angle, height and base length can make quite a bit of difference in performance characteristics. I would expect the AM2s to be stiffer and draw longer arcs, but because the tip has a bit of flex they tend to release nicely in a very controlled manner (telepathically almost). But I'll say this, I think you will find they make the spitfire too stiff.

          I ride FCS R2s in the spitfire with a little stabiliser and it is loose, pivotal and fast. I believe the Futures have a Rusty quad set which I think would be similar. I'd be going with that end of the spectrum of fins, good base but more upright for tighter arcs. And if you find it lacks a little bit of drive, add a little stabiliser, if you don't like that idea then choose a quad set that has a little more emphasis on drive. I used to have a Stretch F4 6'5" and I'll tell you now, you'll love the spitfire, it is a better board. I went down to a 6'0" and love it in knee high to just overhead. I tried FCS GMB quads (Q1000 80/20 rears) which are a tad looser than the FCS GAM quads (with Q1000 80/20 foiled rears) in my dom and I found them too stiff and I was getting hung up in the lip. It's possible with the extra bit of release in the GAMs it might have been better but the R2s are much looser and seem to suit my spitfire better for me.

          You will need to get down to comparing area, base length, height, rake angles and tip shapes and flex characteritics...generally the manufacturer has a bit of a helpful write up for each fin set that is helpful too and gives you some general guidance in where is sits in the spectrum of stiff to loose, drivey to neutral, hold to slide and so on. Start with your AM2s and then at least you'll know whether it's too stiff/too drivey and so on.

          Comment


          • #6
            Just found it. The FCS guys are using MRTFX with the rear K2.1. That is supposed to be the same as the rear on the futures WCT. Does futures sell a trailer by itself?

            This could give me a few different set ups

            AM2 fronts with 375 rears for better drive on faster waves or when I need to make sections (may eventually get SF4 if these don't work).

            AM2 fronts with AM2 rear for juicy hollow waves, to provide hold and keep in pocket

            T1 512 fronts with a WCT rear (or try one of the 375 rears) as kind of an in between (kind of like the MRTFX w/ K2.1 set up)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by barney View Post
              Great info, thanks!!!!

              Would also be interested in hearing more about your Stretch vs Spitfire.
              ...
              In some ways the Stretch was a real goer but the thing that made it unique and funky was also the thing that I didn't like in the end. It just would not pivot, hell it was fast down the line and great for taking a high line up on the face even when steep but it didn't really pivot, it did these little arcs everywhere, they were pretty tight so it effectively looked like a pivot but it wasn't really. Instead of hold, release and pivot up on the lip you were doing a very tight little arc. It certainly kept the speed up but it was lacking the pivot and release type direction changes that you can get out of a thruster.

              I find with the spitfire (and other quads too) that you can get that pivot and release but you can also do tight little arcs too if you want. You have the best of both worlds, particularly if you add a 5th fin, that is, a little stabiliser. You can make your own or just use the knubster. I cut down an MR TX rear trailer and foiled it smaller than the knubster and got just what I want (I started a thread about it on the dominator forum). I transferred this setup over from my dominator into the spitfire and it works perhaps even better (well the thinner tail and stepped rail is what is making the difference). It adds a little more looseness and tighter/faster turning capability. I'd say I can get the spitfire more vertical than I could the stretch, more often on a wave because of the way the tail bites but the bat tail and diamond tail feel pretty similar. Though as mentioned because the stretch "arced" rather than pivoted it never felt like you were puncturing the lip at a vertical angle because you had to start the arc, you could not keep projecting. So re-entries felt like tight little cutbacks in the lip more than re-entries. With the spitfire you can do whatever you want, pivot, arc, float and if I could do airs, boost too.

              The stretch was more of a front foot board too, like a traditional twinnie and that is why it surfed so much like a twin fin. The spitfire is driven off the back foot and has more of a thruster feel even as a quad.
              Last edited by Slowman; 04-29-2012, 04:11 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                I tried the EA quads tonight and really liked 'em. Foiled on one side front and back so they have pretty decent bite but still loose enough.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dang, I really liked how you could ride the Stretch front foot heavy, made it really go. My Griffin Modfish either dies or pearls when you do that. Was hoping the spitfire would be best of both worlds???

                  Was going to take it out yesterday but it was so mushy I took a fish instead, so I still haven't even surfed it yet

                  Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                  I find with the spitfire (and other quads too) that you can get that pivot and release but you can also do tight little arcs too if you want. You have the best of both worlds, particularly if you add a 5th fin, that is, a little stabiliser. You can make your own or just use the knubster. I cut down an MRTFX rear trailer and foiled it smaller than the knubster and got just what I want (I started a thread about it on the dominator forum). I transferred this setup over from my dominator into the spitfire and it works perhaps even better (well the thinner tail and stepped rail is what is making the difference). It adds a little more looseness and tighter/faster turning capability. I'd say I can get the spitfire more vertical than I could the stretch, more often on a wave because of the way the tail bites but the bat tail and diamond tail feel pretty similar. Though as mentioned because the stretch "arced" rather than pivoted it never felt like you were puncturing the lip at a vertical angle because you had to start the arc, you could not keep projecting. So re-entries felt like tight little cutbacks in the lip more than re-entries. With the spitfire you can do whatever you want, pivot, arc, float and if I could do airs, boost too.

                  The stretch was more of a front foot board too, like a traditional twinnie and that is why it surfed so much like a twin fin. The spitfire is driven off the back foot and has more of a thruster feel even as a quad.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    yeah i had to shift my front foot forward last night to make a fast little section, but it definitely doesn't turn well from up there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      if you're riding them short you can surf them pretty neutral or front foot. I surf my 5'7" off my front foot a lot and then lean onto the back foot for more flicky, snappy turns.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by beetles View Post
                        yeah i had to shift my front foot forward last night to make a fast little section, but it definitely doesn't turn well from up there.
                        Yes it feels like it wallows through a turn if you shift your foot forward. It's not very positive at all, it feels like I'm standing on balloons when I've done that.

                        Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                        if you're riding them short you can surf them pretty neutral or front foot. I surf my 5'7" off my front foot a lot and then lean onto the back foot for more flicky, snappy turns.
                        Yes leaning forward, or shifting the weight forward for speed is what I do without changing foot position. Probably neutral, evenly weighted, rather than front foot driving as I come out of a cutback and then shift the weight back again, if the wave allows me to hit the lip or foam ball, or just turn it back around again.

                        PRJ, would you call that front footed surfing? Sounds like you are still driving the harder turns (snaps anyway) from the back. Certainly it can be surfed more weight forward than the Hellfire which instantly dies if you step forward. In any event, Barney, by comparison to the Stretch you'll find the Spitfire a lot more back foot driven but the good news is this thing is probably faster. It also handles mush too so don't be afraid to take it out in sloppy conditions, it might surprise you.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi guys, i'm selling my old 6' dominator for a new 5'10 spitfire and i was wondering if somebody tried the spitfire with fcs Mr trx fins as a quad. Right now i'm riding pc5 in front with stretch rears. Sometimes when its bigger, I put the knubster for better control.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X