Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solus is what I have on mine,really like them

Comment

Guys, been reading with interest all of the posts on this thread and the ones on the Potatontor and Hellfire. I want to add a performance oriented board to my quiver without going mad. I like the sound of the HF but the SF sounds like the one which would be more useable here in Guernsey, CI. I surf mostly our main beach break, the surf tends to be crumbly, there are other spots which go when the period is 9/10 sec plus and swell height 3++ feet (normal heights.....). These other spots can offer some decent little barrels and nice walling rights, which I love. I am 75 kgs so 165 lbs in old money, 40 years old and fit, surf as often as I can and mix up my boards; stubby hybrid, twinny, quad fish or log. This winter was appalling but otherwise try to get in 3 times a week or as many sessions as my arms in a day will allow! In my quiver my mate quite rightly pointed out that all of the boards I have are good small wave boards, one of which is a sweet potato, which I use too much! In anything! But I went 506 and think I cold have easily got away with the 504/502 at a push given the generally weak waves we get. So I am keen for the SF and am thinking 510 which will be good when the surf goes waist plus and has a little punch to it and given the winter wettie should be okay volume wise. But am concerned that this may be too much and if I go shorter it will be too little. Trade off between volume to compensate for weaker surf although waist plus and added winter wettie weight against shorter less volume and maybe more useable!? Loving the sweet potato....just flies...have used it instead of my log most days....fast and fun when the surf is shocking! 8-D

Input greatly appreciated.

Comment

I'd go 5'8 based on the fact that you'd be on the SP if the surf was pants.
        The 5'10" would still be a lot of fun and it depends on what sort of volume you like riding. I like a little lower volume boards, and I think the 5'8" over volumed for me unless the waves are slack.

Comment

Hi prj, thanks for the input, appreciate it. So I can gauge the waves you are riding the 508 on, what period etc because not sure what the "normal" conditions would be for you in Cornwall. Here we are lucky to get an average of 9 secs and it's usually more like 8 sec and onshore, if we are lucky. If the surf is weak would you go for 510 where you are or are you saying that the 508 is perfect for you in weak conditions but not when its got more guts to it? I think whilst I want to go 508 i may find it a little too much of a leap having never ridden a performance board before. I think I could manage it well but it's getting it going sooner than say the 510.

Comment

Hey Tubbs, i agree with Prj, from the sounds of it, you'd likely prefer the 508, though you could easily ride the 506 if you wanted to push it. I will add on the topic of period, it depends almost more on how steel the wave is. I surf 15 seconds all the time here in CA but its often VERY weak. Back where i am from on the east coast of the US, i normally surfed 9 seconds, but it broke more steeply on the sandbars near my home.

In your case i would judge your needs based on punch. A slow wave is a slow wave independent of period. I always feel that if its mushy, you can afford to go with more volume. if you are normally surfing punch, then you can get after less volume. Over all, though, based on your other boards, you'll prefer the 508.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Chris, cheers for the input. I was surfing yesterday in fun waist high beachy surf on a mates Lost Black Sheep which was a 508 with 27.4cl volume. Different design etc to the Spitty but good to get a feel of a much smaller board. The smallest I have ever ridden...sketchily! With that in mind I am now looking back at yours, prj's and another mates comments about board size v local conditions. Listening to everyone's views, it is not so much about will I be able to surf either one, it is how quickly I will be able to get the board wired based on my experience and the type of waves we surf. The 510 will stroke into waves a little easier than the 508 and there will be a marginal differences in riding between the two once up. If the trade off is getting into waves then I think it has to be the 510, particularly if it's weak and mushy. Whilst I am itching to surf something smaller I don't want to hinder progress and so errrring on the side of caution! Hey I'm sure you are both right...cheers mate. T.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                Hey Tubbs, i agree with Prj, from the sounds of it, you'd likely prefer the 508, though you could easily ride the 506 if you wanted to push it. I will add on the topic of period, it depends almost more on how steel the wave is. I surf 15 seconds all the time here in CA but its often VERY weak. Back where i am from on the east coast of the US, i normally surfed 9 seconds, but it broke more steeply on the sandbars near my home.

In your case i would judge your needs based on punch. A slow wave is a slow wave independent of period. I always feel that if its mushy, you can afford to go with more volume. if you are normally surfing punch, then you can get after less volume. Over all, though, based on your other boards, you'll prefer the 508.

Cheers
                ne sand bars :)

Comment

Hi Tubbs. Just confirming what the other boys said. I'm about your size and weight (a tad lighter) and I used my SF 5'8" all year along in different conditions and if you are going to ride it in the better waves (as your SP will do the small and mushy ones) then 5'8" would be the go!

Comment

Tubbs I agree with the others, go the 5'8. At 82 kg I'm really happy with it and goes great in the small punchy waves. It's the smallest board I've used but every time I surf it it feels more normal. No problems paddling and getting waves.
                    Let's face it, the spit is not the right board for crumbly weak onshore waves, so I reckon get the 5'8 and save it for the good wall days.

Comment

Cheers guys for the responses....I've ordered the 5.10 and if its wrong I'll flog it and get a 5.08 but being super conservative! :0)

Comment

Hey Tubbs! I'd like to hear what you think of the 5'10 at your weight, i'm 6 kgs to the heavier and got the 5'10 and think it goes like the clappers, but kinda feel I could have gone the 5'8. Only ridden it once so far though.

Comment

Will let you know, it's on order but not expecting it for at least another couple of weeks....PLUS the summer is here and there's been zero surf! But still excited and can't wait. Cheers T.

Comment

Has anyone ridden the 508 or 510 SF in point break waves and/or hawaii waves (e.g. Ala Moana Bowls, Concessions, etc)? 1-3 ft faces? 3-5ft faces?

Tubbs, how is the 510 SF??

Comment

I'm 5'8", 175-180lbs. Intermediate level, coming down from Inter/Advance longboard level. I can't decide between 508 and 510 SF. Volume calculator has at me 33L minimum which is a 510 SF. However, many are recommending a 508 for a person similar to my weight and height. I demoed a 506 Sweet Potato RF and 510 Dominator FST in 1-3+ ft faces. Both are fun boards but begin to slide a little or hang at the top when surfing head high+ (hawaiian). I surf mostly chest to overhead and I'm worried if 508 might not be enough board to make the drop. thoughts anyone??

Comment

On those waves have you consider anything with a bit more rocker within the Firewire line?. What's the reason to go for the SF??.
                                If you decide to stick to it, then the 5'8" will have you covered. On the same sort of train of thought you are on, the Hellfire will be a good option as well with a bit more rocker and pulled in nose will help you on those drops.The Alternatoris also a viable solution to your dilema as well

Comment

Working...
                                X