Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iggy, thanks for the feedback! I normally surf Diamond Head, Ala Moana, and Waikiki. I liked how the Dom paddled, caught waves, and floated me. The only reason why I didn't choose the Dom is because I liked the diamond tail and stepdown rails of the SF. Also, i felt it will make my transition from longboarding to shortboarding a little easier. I looked at Hellfire and it has great dimensions but I don't think I'm at that level yet. Mahalo!
    Last edited by hawaii_boi; 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Here's my take hawaii_boi. If you're coming down from longboards (I did the same and we are the same weight), I think you'll like the 5'10 because it rides on top of the water and will feel similar to what you're used to in many ways. Eventually, you may want to move towards more advance stuff (1 bottom turn and straight off the top, breaking out the fins) which means you'll want to go smaller, but that will take a good long time. If you go too small right now, then the board will bog a bit.

OK, then you brought up "Ala Moana Bowls".....uuuuuuuuhhhhmmmm....maybe not the right board for that. You can do it, but it will always be a bit sketchy on those ledges. I think you'll want a narrower nose to get you dropping down the face quicker, and more rocker to make you feel confident in that pocket.

Comment

@csarqui, thanks for that very helpful insight!! I've taken my LB (In The Pink) out at Bowls in 2-4ft (hawn size) a few times...drops are makeable but when the tide is low and i catch the inside bowl...that's where it gets tricky! lol. @iggy mentioned the HellFire or Alternator for more of the ledgy waves. I'm still a beginner to shortboarding (I can only do cutbacks and floaters) so not sure if I'm ready for those boards yet. I've ridden a 510 dominator and I thought that was perfect. The Volume calculator has me at 33L min. to 41L max. So, based on those two factors, I'll probably go with the 510 Spit and when I do eventually get better, maybe upgrade to a 508 Spit or to a Hellfire or Alternator. Mahalos!!

Comment

@csarqui, one last question. Prior to you deciding on the 510 SF, did you try any other sizes? 508? 600? What/Who made you eventually decide on the 510 SF? Mahalo!

Comment

Yep, I've tried the 6'0, 5'10, 5'8, and back to the 5'10. The 6'0 was an absolute dog for me. I can't explain why but it just didn't respond. I tried the 5'10, loved it, and surfed it till it died. Rapidfires die quickly under my feet. Then I tried the 5'8 which worked well but started to bog a little on softer reef breaks (Beacons in SD). Now I'm back on the 5'10 and I'm reminded that it's the magic board for me. Quick take offs, lots of speed thru the flats, and great maneuverability.

Comment

I done the same two 5'10s broke one sold the other, now onto a 6'0 but got a feeling i'll be seeing a 5'10 soon....6'0 just feels a bit big and strangly feels narrow in the nose and not as stubby and wide!

Comment

@csarqui, that's really great info! I recently checked out the 508 SF and although it is still an OK size, I'm probably gonna go with the 510 because I plan to take it to other breaks that might not be as steep and hollow (e.g. Waikiki, Daimond Head, etc.). The thing about Firewire...there are many boards that overlap each other so I know I will have to buy another board or two for specific waves and surfing. As far as RapidFire goes, I think it's a little too delicate so I'm leaning more towards FST.

@benny81, how'd you break your board? how big were the waves? it sucks to throw away $$$!!!!

Thanks guy for all your help!! I'm definitely getting the 510 SF now. When I get really good, I'll get the 510 HellFire and/or 508 SpitFire.

Aloha!!!

Comment

Good to hear buddy!! lt us know how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                    @csarqui, that's really great info! I recently checked out the 508 SF and although it is still an OK size, I'm probably gonna go with the 510 because I plan to take it to other breaks that might not be as steep and hollow (e.g. Waikiki, Daimond Head, etc.). The thing about Firewire...there are many boards that overlap each other so I know I will have to buy another board or two for specific waves and surfing. As far as RapidFire goes, I think it's a little too delicate so I'm leaning more towards FST.

@benny81, how'd you break your board? how big were the waves? it sucks to throw away $$$!!!!

Thanks guy for all your help!! I'm definitely getting the 510 SF now. When I get really good, I'll get the 510 HellFire and/or 508 SpitFire.

Aloha!!!

Creased it in waist high waves, but i'm quite heavy handed to be honest....still preffer the RF for small waves though just for that extra pop/spring feel

Enjoy!

Comment

csarqui/benny81/iggy
                      I was stuck between a 58 and a 510 for a while. Then, I was so set on the 510 a few days ago, but after seeing the two side by side and losing 10lbs in a month I've decided to go with the 58!! :D It's a sick board...can't wait to try it. Only thing I need now are fins. Any suggestions???

Attachment
                      Attached Files

Comment

That thing looks sweet! Can't wait to hear your ride report.

Comment

Only thing I need now are fins. Any suggestions???
                          F4's!

Comment

csarqui/benny81/iggy
                            I was stuck between a 58 and a 510 for a while. Then, I was so set on the 510 a few days ago, but after seeing the two side by side and losing 10lbs in a month I've decided to go with the 58!! :D It's a sick board...can't wait to try it. Only thing I need now are fins. Any suggestions???

Attachment
                            Have fun buddy!!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

1st session
                              Waves: 1-2ft hawaiian
                              Tide: low tide (0 to 1.5 ft)
                              Winds: 10-25mph
                              Conditions: semi-choppy, sunny

Fins used: Futures Vector II Quad1 438 (i know i know composites suck! haha). Waiting on a friend to let me borrow his Futures SA4 and Scarfini FX3.

@csarqui, you were right, once I hit the flats, this board just bogs and dies like a stalled car!! haha!! I need to catch at least waist to chest high to move smoothly...anything smaller won't go unless it's punchy. I guess that's why the Sweet and Baked Potato were made!

@iggy, i must admit i was a little skeptical about this 508 floating me or paddling easier than its 510 counterpart, but I had no problems and like you said, "it has enough float" and duck diving is too easy!! thanks for your expert advice!!

@David_KJeep, the local surfshop that I usually go to didn't have the F4s on the Fin Tree, but I'll keep looking. The F4 Quads look sick though.

There's a South swell (13 seconds) coming in today so hopefully I can try it again and with different fins. I'll keep you guys posted!! ALOHA!!
                              Last edited by hawaii_boi; 08-16-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Used the 5.10 today for the first time in decent head high clean waves and it was awesome. Stroking into waves was fine, I could have gone 5.08 but I think given the weak surf we get it's a good compromise just to have the extra volume is a little lazy maybe but it didn't hold me back....i had it set up as a quad, took off first wave I was up a little sketchy at first, composed myself and just drove it down the line. It's quick and turns so well, just love it. Loving my Spitty and tatty.

Comment

Working...
                                X