X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire sizing 82Kg 6'1 - 5'8 or 5'10

Hey all, very close to getting my first Spitfire. Have been reading all I can on sizes etc. and I reckon I'm right between 5'8 and 5'10. I am 6'1 tall, 82 Kgs = 180 Pounds (hope to be 2kg lighter soon), 49 years old, inter to inter/advanced, fit for my age.

My current board is a CI pod 6'0, which I broke last week (creased wiping out in 5ft close-out barrel) and is being repaired. I've been really happy with it but want to get something a little more edgy and radical but also for small days. The 6'0 pod paddles awesome and catches waves really well, and I'm sure I should have gone a bit smaller in the pod, probably 5'10 if I got another one. I am a very experienced surfer, can surf anything pretty well, but would classify my style as smooth and fast but not radical and vertical. I want a board that can help me change this style and push the critical and vertical stuff more.

So I'm pretty sure my decision is between 5'8 and 5'10. The other one I would like opinion on is FST or Rapidfire. I have had a 6'8 FST alternator (way too big I know) and I do like the FST technology and delayed spring, but never tried rapidfire. Love the look of the rapidfire, love that bamboo deck. After breaking the pod I'm quite keen to have strength but I wouldn't want to compromise weight for it. Which is lighter and does rapidfire last well or is it better to spend a bit more on the FST which will live a bit longer?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or suggestions :).

I'd personally suggest 5'10". I've only surfed FST so can't comment on Rapidfire.

Comment

Do you wear a wetsuit or surf in boardies? Id say 5'10 unless you are really awesome and FST as Ive found it some what more resilient to damage but not unbreakable - I ride a 6'0 wear a 5/3 suit and weigh 87kg at the moment and the board feels good, last year I was down to 83kg and 5'10 felt borderline.

Comment

Hey, Ireland, thanks for that.
        I Live in Sydney so 3mm wet-suit in the winter, boardies in summer. I'm not awesome, so am leaning towards the 5'10 (hope the rail catches when I do this :)). I think maybe Rapidfire at the moment as I do like the idea of the positive response (and maybe I'm just in love with the bamboo).

Any suggestions on initial fin-set for both thruster and quad? I will be getting FCS. Already have PC7, G-AM, AM2 thruster sets in my quiver collection plus two little G-XQs. So would try to make what I have work initially if not too far off the mark.

Comment

I've surfed the 5'8" through winter in 5/3mm + boots, gloves, hood and up to around 80kg plus all the gear. Always found it to have more than enough float.

I'd say the 510 would work great for you but if you're surfing plenty and fit, and the 508 dims speak to you more than the 510 then it would work for you, especially in better waves.

The 510 will handle tiny days better and cruise a little easier, but the 508 will let you push it harder in better surf.

Comment

I reckon your fin set up sounds ideal. At 82kg maybe you could look at PC5's because your fin quiver tends to the larger end of the spectrum (AM2's excluded). But if I had that group of fins I'd be pretty stoked. It's pretty similar to mine actually except I have K3's instead of AM2's.

Comment

165 cms and 84Kgs and could not be happier n my 5'8" spit FST

Comment

Thanks guys. I've taken a punt and gone for the 5'8 rapidfire. They only had Future fins ones in stock and I can't wait so I'm now into the Future:(.
                Main reason for 5'8 rather than 10 is I checked volume on my current CI pod and it's very close to volume of 5'10 spit and I know I could go less. Plus now I have extra motivation to get fitter and lighter:)

Comment

Buddy Futures is the way to go... in my opinion at least ;)
                  Try a set of Solus thrusters for those fun roller waves.Also the WCT are to be considered. Rasta quads are really good.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Im 5'10 and 72kg (24yrs and fit) and have an intermediate level (although it is not clear to me how you define intermediate). I am considering to purchase a Spitfire but again I am not sure about the size: 5'6 or 5'8. I also hesitate with the Dominator. The hesitation in size comes from the fact that I have not surfed in 2 years and have decided to get back into it - and I can t really compare it to the size of my normal board as the only one I have is a 6'6 that floats like a boat!

I m going for 2 weeks in Portugal and want a board that is going to allow me to progress and that could follow me in my evolution on the medium term as I will not have the opportunity to surf it every week.

What would you recommend? Thanks

Comment

Hey Marin
                      Take this for what its worth from someone who has yet to ride the spitfire but has ordered one based on research and other board volumes.
                      If I were your size and fitness and wanting to improve, I would go 5'6.

Comment

Originally posted by savagebee View Post
                        Hey Marin
                        Take this for what its worth from someone who has yet to ride the spitfire but has ordered one based on research and other board volumes.
                        If I were your size and fitness and wanting to improve, I would go 5'6.
                        Truth, but given he has not surfed in a long time I believe the 5'8" Dom will make him get back to the game faster.
                        Dominator will draw rounder arcs while the spit will tight them.

Comment

Got my 5'8 spit RF last week. A thing of beauty. My first reaction when I saw it was "eeek that's small!!".
                          First surf was in bumpy full 4-5 foot waves with rasta quad set. Was concerned that board is too small because less float than I'm used to and it was very skittish. Had some moments but generally not real happy in these conditions.
                          Second surf similar conditions Solus thruster fins. Getting used to the size and quite happy paddling and getting waves but skitty and bogging in chop.
                          3rd surf 2-4 feet powerful and smooth rasta quad. Very happy paddling now and board felt awesome! Fast, loose, super tight turns. Only problem is me getting used to what it can do. Yes! This is why I bought this board - couldn't be happier.
                          On the size decision I think I could have gone 5'10 but 5'8 has plenty of float for me and performance on the wave is awesome!

Comment

Yewwww

Comment

Yes yeeeew. After 2 more small wave surfs I'm totally stoked with this board! Faster and sharper turning than anything else I've ridden. Rasta quad is insane but hard to control, Solus thruster feels awesome and more predictable.

Comment

Working...
                              X