Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st surf on the Spitty

Afternoon all,

I have been an avide reader of the FW forum for 6mths now ( never posted ) . Been researching what board to buy ( my 1st FW board ) - went from a Dom to Spit to EF to Hellfire & then back to Spitfire.

I'm 38yrs old ( surfing +20yrs ) & if family/children , work , swell allow surf weekly in Cornwall. 5'10 tall & 80K's . Good fitness & would say solid intermediate to advanced . Current quiver 5'10 keel twin fish , 6'1 Resin8 thruster & 6'6 step up pintail.

Well 10days ago i 'span the wheel' - i purhcased a 5'8 SF in FST ( from Down the Line surf shop Hayle UK - great shop by the way) .

1st thoughts were later that night after a beer - 'its small' ..........but was confident that i had done my research... fingers crossed?

1st surf last week ( nice clean waist high surf ) Fistral ( home break - crowded i know - but time constraints apply ) .....& from the 'get go' the board felt sooooo GOOD. plenty of volume + paddled well & from the very 1st wave - so fast !!! felt loose responsive ....all that you want ...

Seriously had one of the most fun little sessions i have had for years ( & easy the best on a day1 new board ) . Not throwing it around too much as the tide was high & breaking shallow on the inside ( didn't want to damage on 1st surf ) . My good mate as a quiver of FW ( quad fish , EF & now HF ) & has raved about them..

Just wanted to put it in ink ( as it were ) that so far this board is SICK & cannot wait to push & see what it can do - as so many of the threads say that you have to work & get used to the flex of the boards.

Just wanted to share the stoke & say thanks to all the inputs i have read & will continue to.

cheers & thanks

Benno
    Last edited by Ben8256; 07-10-2012, 03:38 AM.

Good choice Benno, 508 Spit is a cracker! Good shop choice too, I was in there about half an hour ago myself!

Comment

Ah yeah makes me miss my old Spity....enjoy.

Comment

I had a similar experience. Spitfire -> Hellfire -> Sub Scorcher -> Stealth -> Spitfire. My experience is always better when I come back to the Spitfire.

Comment

Ditto on the Spit, i'm 40, 5'9, weigh about 67kg. I wouldn't ride anything else but my 5'6 in the small stuff, I'm actually a bit reluctant to buy a big brother to go with it but i feel i'm a little under-gunned in bigger waves.

Coming from someone that dislike quads, i found M5/GL works pretty good (maybe only for a light weight surfer though)

Comment

Love my spit!!!! but picking up the potatonator tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              Ditto on the Spit, i'm 40, 5'9, weigh about 67kg. I wouldn't ride anything else but my 5'6 in the small stuff, I'm actually a bit reluctant to buy a big brother to go with it but i feel i'm a little under-gunned in bigger waves.

Coming from someone that dislike quads, i found M5/GL works pretty good (maybe only for a light weight surfer though)

Good stuff Baker....out of interest how do you feel about your RF construction?

I might have to wait for the WRF Spitty to come out!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ftandjunky View Post
                Good stuff Baker....out of interest how do you feel about your RF construction?

I might have to wait for the WRF Spitty to come out!
                I prefer the Rapid Fires simply for the lightness, you can instantly feel it under arm, same with the 5'11 Hellrazor i'm getting Thursday (I'm near the factory so have that option) a friend had the 6'4 model and it still weighed nothing.

I have found it ding's a lot easier but then i surf a part shingle/sand break, i guess that's the exchange for a light board.

White RF sounds good as long as its a natural composite like bamboo.

Comment

FST advocate here!!!.
                  Love the "organic" feeling of the FST, the slightly delayed response product of the board "charge" during the turns.
                  The RF has a more direct input-output

Comment

Hi - seen lots of recommendations to ride the Spit with the FCS MR twin fins then say a a standard thruster in the centre ( as above only surfed it once so far ) so want to get used to it before start tinkering - running as aquad with the standard provided quad set up SP4's ?? i think .........intersted on thoughts part. around the MR fin setup.

Comment

I used the MRTFX sides with the K2.1 trailer, as recommended by Mr Lamiroy. I found it to be a decent set up but only to really hold in solid waves when you'd normally be on a different board. For every day use I always liked the K3 set in the Spitfire.

Comment

I generally use PC5's as a thruster but found it lacked speed under chest high so tried the M5/GL set up which still feels lose without feeling like a train on tracks.

Friend of mine who's 15 stone used MRTFX with GLs in the back, he says it goes good on his 6'5 El Fuego. I went off his recommendation but sized it down a bit for my child like build.

Comment

to each his/her own when it comes to fins...

Comment

Fo'sho!

Always confuses me when certain people go on about using fins designed for a specific board for best results, yet so many people enjoy such different fins on the same board.

Has Nev ever had his own fin template?

Comment

I am sure Nev constructed a few fins in his day but never on a commercial level to my knowledge...

Comment

Working...
                              X