Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire volumes

So i'm back to the old volume again...

Spitfire 5'6 reads as 28.3L on the board page and volume guide, yet go into the CBD for the stock model and its comes up with:

STOCK MODEL:
    SPITFIRE
    LENGTH: 5'6"
    MAIN WIDTH: 19.75
    NOSE WIDTH: 13.81
    TAIL WIDTH: 16.06
    THICKNESS: 2.25
    VOLUME: 27.2 L

I have no issues with whatever this board is as it rides great for me and felt way smaller than the 5'6 dom, that i didn't get on with because of float (too much) says 28.3L on CBD

Last week i was matching a step up board (due to collect my 5'11 hellrazor on Thursday) so i'm glad i went light on volume at 27.2 as i was going to go nearer 28L. Chris, anyway these differences can be corrected, like PRJ said in a previous thread the CBD is about as correct as it can get being the part of the CAD process. Personally I think one of the main plus points Firewire offers is a realistic volume figure, something that not many other board builders can do.

I also felt up the thick 5'10 Bourez and find it difficult to believe that is only 27.2 as well, but i think the full rail can be disallusional.

Isn't the stock 506 2.38" thick though?

Comment

Just did a 506 at 2.38" and got 28.65l in the CBD.

To me the 506 feels thinner than the 508, both at 2.38" though so maybe it's a little more thinned out to the rails keeping the volume at 28.3l in the stock model?

Comment

Yep your right, just seen the 2 1/4 so the CBD has the wrong info then?

Don't know if you've tried a Dom in the same size as the Spit but the float is completely different, i'd say at least a litre based on the 5'6. I actually found the 5'6 Dom a little awkward to duck dive even when i weighed in at 70kg.

I guess you have to go with what feels right, lot of cash though if you get it wrong.

Comment

Yeah not sure why the default for the CBD is at 2.25". Not a huge deal though as the idea is to chance the dims as you want them anyway.
          I haven't surfed or even held a smaller Dom, only my old 510. The 506 Spit does feel much thinner than the 508 to me though. More like 2.31" than 2.38".
          I'm not sure if the older 506s were a little thinner, I know there was an old one in the second hand rack at my local and for some reason my memory says that may have been thinner.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
            Yeah not sure why the default for the CBD is at 2.25". Not a huge deal though as the idea is to chance the dims as you want them anyway.
            I haven't surfed or even held a smaller Dom, only my old 510. The 506 Spit does feel much thinner than the 508 to me though. More like 2.31" than 2.38".
            I'm not sure if the older 506s were a little thinner, I know there was an old one in the second hand rack at my local and for some reason my memory says that may have been thinner.
            Hard to tell as the measurement is taken from the blank not the finished item, bit like measuring the honeycomb in a Malteaser.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              Yep your right, just seen the 2 1/4 so the CBD has the wrong info then?

Don't know if you've tried a Dom in the same size as the Spit but the float is completely different, i'd say at least a litre based on the 5'6. I actually found the 5'6 Dom a little awkward to duck dive even when i weighed in at 70kg.

I guess you have to go with what feels right, lot of cash though if you get it wrong.
              Baker,

interesting about your difference in vol between the spit and the dom, do you think its possible you got a 5'8 Dom mislabelled as a 5'6?
              Iv got a 5'6 dom and it feels identical in float and ability to duckdive as my 5'9 EF (28.6), im 70kg and it floats me somewhere around my mid ribcage in a full wetsuit and easy to duckdive (which is compared to boards I usually ride)... still not really sure the vol of the dom, some places i says 28.3 in others iv seen it listed as 28.4 and 28.7 I think.... feels good whatever it is, think around 28litres is perfect for my ability and weight

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_s View Post
                Baker,

interesting about your difference in vol between the spit and the dom, do you think its possible you got a 5'8 Dom mislabelled as a 5'6?
                Iv got a 5'6 dom and it feels identical in float and ability to duckdive as my 5'9 EF (28.6), im 70kg and it floats me somewhere around my mid ribcage in a full wetsuit and easy to duckdive (which is compared to boards I usually ride)... still not really sure the vol of the dom, some places i says 28.3 in others iv seen it listed as 28.4 and 28.7 I think.... feels good whatever it is, think around 28litres is perfect for my ability and weight
                Yeah Matt, Deffo a 5'6 as i measured it while i had it, the only logical thing i could put it down to was maybe the tech, the Dom was a FST whereas the Spit i now have is a RF. Don't know whether the balsa rails and different core gave the Dom more float, visually i think the spit looks a lot thinner in the nose (as in profile not width).

We need a demo centre in the UK, i think people could get dialled in the right board a lot easier then.

Comment

There are a bunch of demo boards doing the rounds at the moment. I was eyeing them up on Monday.
                  They are in Hayle at the moment but moving on somewhere else on Friday. I'll find out what's available and where they are headed and post up the info.
                  I know there was a 600 MB, brand new, unwaxed. A 511 HZ, again not even waxed yet. A 603 HZ too. A Lost Stealth, SP, PN and some others.

Comment

I'll post a new thread with the demo info that I've found.

Comment

Probably heading up this way, i heard Mark Price is in the UK at the moment.

Comment

Oh really? Thread is in the Europe section of the forum.

Comment

Working...
                        X