X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire v. Dominator?

I've ridden a friend's 6'4 dominator and liked it. I'm 6 foot 200 lbs and 41 yrs old. My shop doesn't have spitfire for me to ride in that size. Will I like the spitfire? I have a chance to get one used (6'4 as well) but in good condition pretty cheap. Everything I read says they are equivalent in volume, but the spitfire is a bit higher performance? Will I find it more squirrelly? than the Dom, notice significant difference, etc? Thanks.

They ride very similarly. The Spitfire just has a touch more bite in situations where you are pushing it a little harder.

Comment

The api os a dominator on steroids. Both boars are identical from the front fins up. The tail config on the spit make it for a more pivoty board,arcs are drawn tighter

Comment

So what's the benefit of the Dominator over the Spitfire? I always read the benefits of the Spitfire over the Dominator but never the other way around (other than the pretty round tail).

Comment

Clean outline surfs a little more fluidly I think. I don't think one has an advantage other the other in their intended conditions, they just ride differently.
          When you start pushing them in bigger conditions the Spitfire may have the edge.

Comment

In small surf the Dom would be better. As size increases the 'Spit comes into play with its more refined rails.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
              They ride very similarly. The Spitfire just has a touch more bite in situations where you are pushing it a little harder.
              Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
              Clean outline surfs a little more fluidly I think. I don't think one has an advantage other the other in their intended conditions, they just ride differently.
              When you start pushing them in bigger conditions the Spitfire may have the edge.
              Definitely, the spit will not spin out like the dom can.

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
              In small surf the Dom would be better. As size increases the 'Spit comes into play with its more refined rails.
              Yes when it is grovel fest conditions the dom seems slightly better, but the spit still grovels ok too, we're talking 1' waves here. Once you get to even 1.5' the spit, for me, goes just as well.

The spitfire also turns a little faster and more tightly...something you only really appreciate when doing a roundhouse cutback.

Comment

Spitfire all the way as a main or 1 board quiver, if you're looking for 2 then maybe a Dom and a Hellfire, but why have two boards when 1 will do the job of both!

Waist high or over head, works in all situations for me. Just change the fins...as you surf bigger go bigger!

Comment

Yes agreed, i had a spitfire for about two years as a one board quiver and used it in 2ft to head high and like baker says just change the fins around to suit, anything smaller i just took out a log. Gonna get me a WRF one when they hit our shores!

Comment

Almighty whitey...sounds like a plan!

Comment

Working...
                    X