Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub Scorcher leash plug traction pad placement

Hi guys,

I am the guy who had a dilemma whether to buy a Sub Scorcher or Spitfire to use in smaller surf.
    Well i went or the 5'8'' Sub scorcher (thanks for all of your help) and i have received it today. I think i made the right choice. The board feels very floaty (hope it will not be too much volume for me but i guess it will be great for small waves) and feels good under my hand. Can't wait to finally test it out (it's also my first FST/Firewire so i'll write my thoughts on it after i try it out).

What's kind of making me trouble is the leash plug seems soooo far up front of the board. I feel like i'd want to put my tail pad far more to the back so it would completely cover the leash plug. Any thoughts on that, guys who have Sub scorchers? How did you deal with it? This is the first board i am kind of having trouble positioning the tail pad on.
    I think the pad is just far too much to the front if i place it so the leash plug is still visible (and usefull) but then again it must be where it is with a reason?
    I usually put pads pretty much as far back as possible but i am not sure how the Sub Scorcher likes that (i've noticed Kolohe has his pads all the way at the back of the tail of his Sub Scorchers).

In worst case scenario i'll cut some pad off so i can use the leash plug but that would make the tail kick smaller...

I've got mine back so the > at the back of the pad is right at the edge of the lease plug. You want your back foot over the rear fin ideally. It is quite far forward on that board, but I think there's quite a big tail block to give plenty of lift in smaller conditions too.

Comment

primoz how much you weigh? ability? where you surf?

Comment

yeah when i lok at the position of the tailblock in relation to rear fin i think it looks ok but i guess it just seems right to the eye used of having the tail pad always so bach at the tail on other boards, hehe. Plus i remember an image of Kolohes Sub Scorcher with the tailpad all the way back at the tail. wait i ll look it up....this one http://www.awsm.com/img/2010/lost_scorcher.jpg
        I'll just put it as far back as possible and that will be it :)

Kdropin, i am 5'10'' 158lbs. Why you asking? Because i was worried of it being too big? Or you want to know the right size for yourself (i can give you advice once i try it out - this weekend probably :) )
        cheers

Comment

oh...about the ability i'd say i am advanced or something? i do cutbacks, roundhouses, floaters, snaps, foam climbs etc (can't do airs yet though ;) )
          I surf from super small mushy to double overhead + but most of the time is up to head high surf and this winter i'll be mostly surfing small messy waist to head high waves

Comment

if you get a tail pad with the kick in 2 pieces you could split it either side of the leash plug and get it as far back as you want. but i don't think it's necessary. i have mine right up against the leash plug and it feels good.

Comment

Originally posted by primoz View Post
              yeah when i lok at the position of the tailblock in relation to rear fin i think it looks ok but i guess it just seems right to the eye used of having the tail pad always so bach at the tail on other boards, hehe. Plus i remember an image of Kolohes Sub Scorcher with the tailpad all the way back at the tail. wait i ll look it up....this one http://www.awsm.com/img/2010/lost_scorcher.jpg
              I'll just put it as far back as possible and that will be it :)

Kdropin, i am 5'10'' 158lbs. Why you asking? Because i was worried of it being too big? Or you want to know the right size for yourself (i can give you advice once i try it out - this weekend probably :) )
              cheers
              yeah both.. i'm trying to take everybody's advice into consideration and then make my decision.. different strokes for diff. folks or something like that.. let me know how it goes! ride/ paddling etc etc.

btw is that you surfing in those pics on your profile? if so sweeeeeet duder!

btw btw: :) i'm 5'11 170 so trying to decide between the 5'8 and 5'10 and thinking about the same ability as you maybe not quite giving i'm ridiculously inconsistent which yes frustrates the hell out of me.. (damn east coast usa) ha . thx

Comment

i have a (really ugly - what was i thinking? ;) ) three piece pad so can't split it apart, prj. :) Yeah i guess it'll be ok right next to plug.

kdropin: yeah that's me on those pics. Not the best photos but pretty decent i'd say, some moments caught in a couple of sessions when the camera was at hand.
                Yeah i'll let you know about the volume once i try it out (considering the forecast it'll probably be this friday).
                Cheers

Comment

yeah but it right up against the plug!

Comment

well i have finally tested my new 5'8'' sub scorcher. Didn't really had a chance to test it in proper conditions and the session was really short so i still feel like i would need some more time on it to give you a proper review of the board. all i can say for now is the board seems amazing!
                    (btw: the i put the traction pad right next to the leash plug so it's actually touching it and it works great).
                    As far as the size for my weight and ability goes i think i could also ride 5'6'' but 5'8'' seems to be just right for smaller waves. The (small) waves were more of racing, pumping down the line and it worked nicely felt really fast. Didn't managed to do many turns on it yet but it seems it turns nicely (very shortboard like) but i like that little extra float and planing you get from it. To evaluate the turning ability i'll have to wait for another session. The board is very responsive i could pump it all the way to warp speed, floating sections, it was so much fun!
                    So far i love this board! And i think choosing the 5'8'' for me was a right choice. I think 5'6'' could work also but then i'd probably loose the advantage the 5'8'' gives you on the smaller waves - and it's meant to be a small wave board.
                    So, kdropin, i'd say go for 5'10'' (you're taller, heavier than i am) if you'll use this as small wave board. Mine still feels very much like shortboard i think it would work fine in not only small surf also, so 5'10'' should do the same for you.
                    Consider the fact i prefer boards with lover volume yet this one seems like it will be just right for me.
                    Can't wait for another day when there will be waves to surf (which is very rarely where i live).
                    Cheers to all!

Comment

Originally posted by primoz View Post
                      well i have finally tested my new 5'8'' sub scorcher. Didn't really had a chance to test it in proper conditions and the session was really short so i still feel like i would need some more time on it to give you a proper review of the board. all i can say for now is the board seems amazing!
                      (btw: the i put the traction pad right next to the leash plug so it's actually touching it and it works great).
                      As far as the size for my weight and ability goes i think i could also ride 5'6'' but 5'8'' seems to be just right for smaller waves. The (small) waves were more of racing, pumping down the line and it worked nicely felt really fast. Didn't managed to do many turns on it yet but it seems it turns nicely (very shortboard like) but i like that little extra float and planing you get from it. To evaluate the turning ability i'll have to wait for another session. The board is very responsive i could pump it all the way to warp speed, floating sections, it was so much fun!
                      So far i love this board! And i think choosing the 5'8'' for me was a right choice. I think 5'6'' could work also but then i'd probably loose the advantage the 5'8'' gives you on the smaller waves - and it's meant to be a small wave board.
                      So, kdropin, i'd say go for 5'10'' (you're taller, heavier than i am) if you'll use this as small wave board. Mine still feels very much like shortboard i think it would work fine in not only small surf also, so 5'10'' should do the same for you.
                      Consider the fact i prefer boards with lover volume yet this one seems like it will be just right for me.
                      Can't wait for another day when there will be waves to surf (which is very rarely where i live).
                      Cheers to all!
                      sweet man! yeah i was leaning more towards the 5'10.. i'm really interested in how this thing turns too with the vee out the tail.. i think there's less v bc of how firewire made them but i'm sure you can still feel it. i've never ridden a v out the tail im always on single concaves. i.e. dominator

Comment

It's funny, if you look down the board you can kind of see some V, but I put a straight edge across mine and it's single concave right through. The PU ones have a pretty hefty V.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                          It's funny, if you look down the board you can kind of see some V, but I put a straight edge across mine and it's single concave right through. The PU ones have a pretty hefty V.
                          wouldn't that then change the whole character'/ride of the board?

Comment

Not too sure what effect it would have. I think the V helps you to put the wider tail on rail, not sure if removing it would give it a little more grip maybe?
                            http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/...n/IMG_0386.jpg
                            It kind of looks like there's a hint of it in the reflections on the glassing. I'll take a shot later with a ruler across the tail.

Comment

yeah doesnt look like too much v or any at all

Comment

Working...
                              X