X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600 Spitfire to ??? Sub-Scorcher?

I've been surfing a 600 Spitfire for about a year now. Love it. Floats me well.. maybe even too well! It recently bit the dust and I'm looking at getting a Sub scorcher. Would I be able to go down to a 5'10? I want a big increase in performance but not hate life trying to get into waves. Would a 510 spitfire be better? Or a 600 sub scorcher?

I feel pretty confident about a 510 SS but would like some other opinions.

Pretty decent surfer, 185lbs.. Will be surfing in the winter! I.e 4/3 suit.

Also I'm an East Coast surfer but have another board for really small/mushy stuff.

Thanks!

Iam 185lbs i have a 5'10 dom and went with the 6'0 sub. I am on the east coast goes great perfect size

Comment

Originally posted by lersurfian View Post
      Iam 185lbs i have a 5'10 dom and went with the 6'0 sub. I am on the east coast goes great perfect size
      Performance wise what do you think about it?

I'd really like to surf a 510 but just because of performance. It's probably all in my head but just wanted to know if you think the 600 holds you back any.

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

I surfed my Sub the same size as my Spitfire. Both 508.
        The Sub was more work to paddle and catch waves but had a higher performance ceiling.
        I think the 510 would be be just about enough board but only in good waves.
        600 is a much safer bet.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
          I surfed my Sub the same size as my Spitfire. Both 508.
          The Sub was more work to paddle and catch waves but had a higher performance ceiling.
          I think the 510 would be be just about enough board but only in good waves.
          600 is a much safer bet.
          I appreciate the input! How much performance difference do you notice between the same size Sub and Spitfire?

Comment

For me the difference was substantial.
            The 508 Spitfire is 20" wide whereas the Sub is 19.25". The Sub is also a 16th thinner and a much narrower tail. The 508 Spitfire also has 17% more volume than the Sub.
            I don't think the differences are so drastic between the 600s. Only an 8% volume drop to the Sub and it's still 20" wide. The tail pulls in much more though and the tail rocker on the Sub allows you to jam turns on steeper sections far easier in my opinion. The Spitfire turns best on a slightly flatter wall in my opinion.
            I think you'd notice an increase in performance between the boards, but I don't think the difference is as substantial as it was with the 508s.

The drop to the 510 Sub is pretty major though and I have a feeling it'll feel a bit small. I could easily be happy on the 510 at my weight.

Comment

Thanks that clears a lot of things up! I will probably go for the 600 Sub and tear it up! Maybe in the future go for a 508 sweet potato if my desire for something short still is prominent.

Comment

Got my Sub this week... 6'0. Looking like a swell tomorrow. Stoked to get it out there!

Comment

Sammcfie,

How was the 600 Sub? i'm currently riding a 5'10 Spit and was thinking about making the change. How does it compare to your 600 Spit?

By the way, I wish I would have gotten the 600 Spit to begin with. The 5'10 is on the small side for me (190 lbs)

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X