Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
What is my step up from a Sub Schorcher, want to build a quiver Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is my step up from a Sub Schorcher, want to build a quiver

I just purchased my first Firewire lost sub scorcher (5'8" ) OMG best small wave board ive ever ridden...i live on the east coast of Florida and compete in the NSSA and will be at Nationals this year in Huntington Beach CA. i have been riding a locally shaped short board forever. due to lack of performance, I finally decided to try something different, so i chose the Sub Schorcher FST. This board is sic, i ride the Futures Clay Marzo and its all there, So what is my step up board? the DOM seems to overlap the SS in many ways? what do i ride in bigger fatter waves with some power and throw? My low number is 27 as i am 160 lbs. if anyone there can give some advise i would be most appreciated.

Did someone else suggest a thin version of the Bourez? That sounds the ticket. Or a smaller Alternator would do really well in bigger, fatter (I'm thinking Bell's bowl style) waves.

Good luck in the competitions. In Oz if you get to Nationals you're an extremely good surfer - I'm sure that's the case in the US too. Firewire would be stoked to hear you're stoked on their boards I'm sure.

Comment

if ur on a 5'8, i wud think anything bigger wud b a step-up right? lol. I personally like the HR as a semi step-up. being that ur only looking for 27L, it wud probably b about a 6'0. I saw a guy on 5'10 pulling in some bowls at a punchy break. btw, the same guy rides a 5'6 PN on 4' Hayn scale at the same break. just gotta remember tho, everybody has a different definition of "step-up". to me, a "step-up" is whatever i'm riding that catches double overhead. i've seen guys on guns, tankers, hybrids, and anything in between. granted, different boards suit different waves, but u surf what u got.

Comment

Yeah I think the MB. I thought I already replied but maybe a different thread? The Sub has some tail kick so if you like that the MB will feel similar.

Comment

Thanks for the input, on the east coast of florida we never see Bells type surf, unless there is a hurricane. most days are waist to chest and mostly wind driven. Dont want to mis leading, i surf the 45 year old division of NSSA, got 2nd in Nationals in California last year. Eas Coast Championships are this week here in Florida, hope to make it trhru so i can compete in California again. Compared to Aus im sure the talent pool is smaller here, so im sure it somewhat easier. my everyday board has been 6.0 18.75 2.25 its been way too hard to catch wave as i put on some years so i think hybrids will be the ticket until i travel. i will look at the Alt and Bourez to compare. thanks

Comment

For me I would get the MD as your step up. I have a 508 SS and just got a 510 Md and its a sick board. It's spurt fast as a quad and easer to paddle than the Sub.
            I us the MD for fast steep beachis and our local barreling slab. The board can grovel too. I feel the sub might be getting left in the van a lot.

Comment

how is your SS compared to your Potatonator? can you ride the MD in the same surf as your SS? What conditions do you normally grab the SS for?

Comment

I just got a 504 PN and it's sick I was riding it today in just over knee high waves as a twin. The board is loose as. The PN is easer to catch waves than the SS and better for more varied conditions as you have the 5 fin option. I only use my sub when the waves a peeling shoulder to head with push. The Md could also be dragged out in the same conditions but I have only used the md a couple of times and it was a fast wave almost closing out with a hollow section. The SS would have been too slow. I like the sub as a true thruster. It's my new short board" . I would normally ride a 6'0 18/1/2 2 1/4. The SS puts me on a 508 much more freedom. If pushed I would only have the PN and MD but I got the Md secondhand cheep from a mate so it's a keeper.

Comment

thanks for the feedback, my low number is a 27, sounds like your about the same size or close. any experience with a DOM? Im thinking my SS is my new short board too!

Comment

Originally posted by bean909 View Post
                    thanks for the feedback, my low number is a 27, sounds like your about the same size or close. any experience with a DOM? Im thinking my SS is my new short board too!

Not ever ridden the DOM. A mate has one and raves about it. I love the PN for out & out fun.

Comment

The 5'10 MD doesn't feel like too much volume for you at 70kg? Been thinking about one but that 27.8 volume and 2 3/8 rail makes me think it might be too thick and corky even though I'm a little heavier. My ideal volume is usually right around 27 or a little under.

Originally posted by pmorgan View Post
                      For me I would get the MD as your step up. I have a 508 SS and just got a 510 Md and its a sick board. It's spurt fast as a quad and easer to paddle than the Sub.
                      I us the MD for fast steep beachis and our local barreling slab. The board can grovel too. I feel the sub might be getting left in the van a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by robgnyc View Post
                        The 5'10 MD doesn't feel like too much volume for you at 70kg? Been thinking about one but that 27.8 volume and 2 3/8 rail makes me think it might be too thick and corky even though I'm a little heavier. My ideal volume is usually right around 27 or a little under.
                        I find the 510 Md is Pritty good vol wise. It's the same stability rating as my SS and just a tad more vol. I run a 5mm wettie boots and gloves most of the year. I don't find the board corky as the narrow tail keeps the board loose.

Comment

I recently bought a 508 mini driver and it feels the same as my 508 sub even tho there is ment to be 2 ltrs less in the md. I find the 508 is a great wee board for fast good waves barreling or walled up. I kept my 510 as a further step up for the heavy winter swells laden with extra rubber.

Comment

Chris was telling me how his PileDriver was going earlier. That's sounding really fun actually. I reckon it'll have more zang than the MD. Maybe not so good in the juice though.

Comment

• pmorgan
                              pmorgan commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I really like the look of the pd the swallow tail would loosen things up for sure. I will stick with my md for the waves up her plenty of power and like riding a smaller board in bigger surf. It feels so much more free once you catch it. I actually bought a back up 508 after busting the nose on my current one. It's a case of one out of service drying ride the other. Just trying to ride the sub and mini ATM. Oh and the baked when it's rubbish.
                          Working...
                          X