X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed Sub Scorcher Purchase

I'd like to get some input from the Sub Scorcher owners out there. To provide some background here, I'm a strong intermediate surfer, 6ft 175lbs, and I'm coming off of a 5'10 Spitfire (33.5L). Lost/Matt is 1 of my favorite shapers and I love grovelly boards.

I had purchased a Lost Sub Scorcher 6'0 FST as soon as they came out. I picked that size because I was trying to stay around the same volume as the Spitfire. My experience on the board was a total fail. We had a solid chest high swell for a week and I could not get the thing to commit to a bottom turn. I'm talking, drop in, do a check turn, and then commit to a straight up turn towards the lip. Every time, the rail would dig and I would eventually have to baby the board thru turns. I gave it a good go and then sold it.

So, now I've been surfing a 6'0 Stealth (31L). Good board, but I'm ready for something new. If I were to draw something up on paper it would look exactly like the the 5'10 Sub Scorcher and I keep looking at it in the shop. I'm wondering if I can blame my failed attempt on the size of the board that I purchased - 6'0. And I'm wondering if I purchased a 5'10 if I would have a completely different experience. I've seen some of your discussions here and they are growing my confidence. I've also noticed that people seem to be going smaller and following the "advanced" size recommendations.

What do you guys think? For you current owners, do you have any issues turning your boards? I am very front footed, driving to get lots of speed, and then fully commit to an air or a turn. Do you think I would be more successful with a smaller size?

Thanks in advance.

I'm pretty much your size on a 5'8". Love it! Surf it in anything as long as the drop isn't too critical.
    I think you went way too big.
    I find it goes wherever I want it to go.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      I'm pretty much your size on a 5'8". Love it! Surf it in anything as long as the drop isn't too critical.
      I think you went way too big.
      I find it goes wherever I want it to go.
      Agreed over there as well. What fins were you using on the first sub?. Sometimes if the fins are not appropriate you tend to compensate by dragging the turn
      I'm 80Kgs and feel very much comfortable on the 30lts mark on my spitfire.Would not want to go for anything more buoyant specially as conditions get better.

Comment

You're my size and you're on a 5'8 sub scorcher? Wow! I jump on my son's board every once an while for fun. 5'0 Rusty Dwart and 5'5 Roberts Black Diamond. Going really small is fun but I couldn't do it as my daily driver.

Comment

I tried a couple different fin setups. K2.1, Mayhem, GAM, etc... Everything failed when I tried to go on rail. I've also tried a 5'8 spitfire and it went just fine. Although it felt a bit too stubby. Thought about a custom a custom Spitfire 5'10 x 2 3/8 x 19 3/4, but I really enjoy trying different board shapes.

Comment

I checked out both the 5'8 and 5'10 at the shop. The 5'8 feels good in my hands but scares me because it so far off the charts for my weight. The 5'10 feels a little fat and reminds me a bit of the failed 6'0. Chris, is there a way that I could demo a 5'8 or 5'10 or both? I'm pretty serious about making a purchase and I'm in Encinitas, close to Concept Surf Shop and Surf Ride.

Comment

I thought the same thing. Felt right to hold but volume scared me.

If I could I'd order one 510 x 19 x 2.31

Comment

csarqui,

I am 83 kgs and ride a 6'0 sub with L GAM's and love it its perfect for me and never had the problem with what your saying .......however I did try a 6'2 demo and i had exactly what your saying....... it felt to bouyant and i couldn't get the rail in at all. i still had some good surfs on it and it felt more like a fun board good if you are a beginner the bit more volume in the board but for speed and drive my 6'0 is a 100% better.

Comment

That's good info seabass. I think you guys have made me confident enough to give it another go.

Comment

a demo can be worked out. the best way is to go to your preferred dealer and request it through them. both those shops should be great at helping out.

Cheers!

Comment

I'm on it. Thanks Chris.

Comment

Any joy with this csarqui?

Comment

just an FYI for anyone else reading this thread, I bought a 510 thinking the dims were perfect but had to step down to a 508 because the 510 was too big. it is VERY flat, so I think that adds to it....

Comment

Yeah it seems to be one of those shapes where dropping volume seems to benefit. In something like the Dominator the extra foam works with you, but with the more shortboard hybrids like the Sub it actually works against you I think.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                              Any joy with this csarqui?
                              I didn't pull the lever on this because I picked up a Sweet Potato and it's kept me pretty busy. I saw your ad online. Too bad we can't ship it to San Diego :p

Comment

Working...
                              X