Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been having a lot of fun on the k2.1s Also on the gmb5s and a k2.1 as the rear for bigger days. What do you think?

Comment

Should work well!

Comment

Surf the Sub with light feet, I manage to slide my 6'2'' out very easily..... and thats 36l

Comment

Maybe too many litres for you? I surfed mine in well overhead surf and never had it slide once. I put more raked fins in though and ride it right at the bottom of my volume range.

Comment

PRJ - coming in at the end of this thread...how do you think the Sub would go as a 1 board deal.

I don't really want to be taking two boards to the beach each time but i imagine the 5'8 sub being a little thinner/little longer has more versatility than a 5'6 spitfire. Looking at surfing waist to headhigh (just over) both soft and punchy waves, also suitable in winter with a bit more clobber on.

I'm 155lb but think the 5'8 will be ample float for the smaller waves in the summer and ditto for winter when they have a bit more guts.

Does the sub have more nose rocker than the spit, i've found that a pain sometimes too?

Cheers.

Comment

Yeah I used it as my only board for about 6 months. Handles everything but dredging barrels. That said my mate took his 510 to France and said he surfed 5-6ft La Graviere on it and it went well. Not sure I'd try that though.

A touch more nose rocker helps, as well as the narrower nose. Nice bit of tail rocker and thinners rail too so you can jam it into a steeper section easier.
              Another option is to hold out for the mini driver.

Comment

Having ridden both do you think the sub or the spit has more nose rocker, I don't have an issue with what the spit has just a tad short for bigger waves.

Comment

The Sub feels like it does definitely. Not sure on the actual numbers or anything, but looking at these:

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/im...rcher/foil.png
                  http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/im...tfire/foil.png

:the Sub definitely has more rocker overall. I really enjoyed it in most conditions. The only thing I struggled on it with was sucky double ups where a high rockered shortboard is really necessary, for me at least.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                    The Sub feels like it does definitely. Not sure on the actual numbers or anything, but looking at these:

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/im...rcher/foil.png
                    http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/im...tfire/foil.png

:the Sub definitely has more rocker overall. I really enjoyed it in most conditions. The only thing I struggled on it with was sucky double ups where a high rockered shortboard is really necessary, for me at least.
                    Yeah see what you mean Prj, i put the two foils together in PS and the sub has just a little more flick in the nose and quite a bit more in the tail compared to the spitfire (that tail rocker might actually help a bit in bigger waves).

I might opt for this instead but actually keep the spit as well for summer waves...without doing trips away now both these small boards will handle the average waist to head+ that the UK dishes up over the year. If i lived in Cornwall full time then the hellrazor would get used over the spit quite a lot but we're talking 5 trips a year where it might be head and a half high.

Really liked the feel of the 5'8 sub in DTL though - they have one in stock so might pick it up next month!

Comment

You won't be disappointed!

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                        You won't be disappointed!
                        oh and just to add about the mini driver, looks a great board but in the 15-20 years i've been surfing i never got on with round or pin tails once...wierd but it's just one of those things...my mate is getting the 5'8 though.

Comment

Working...
                        X