Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub scorcher for Maledives?

Hello,

planning my first trip to the maledives and in addition to my Alternator I want to bring a board for those smaller days: 2 - 4 feet.

The wave I will surf most of the time is cokes and spots nearby. What do you think about the sub scorcher for those smaller days?

Do you have other recommendations? Just to many boards to chose from firewire :-)

kind regards and thanks to everybody in advance,

Martin

Hi Martin, I just got back from 18 days in the Maldives, so enjoyable. First week was at Cokes and Chickens, and even when some of the waves were pushing double overhead they were still quite soft to duck dive relative to my home beach. Having said that they had perfect shape with plenty of barrels and great speed down the line. What i noticed was that the top surfers all had smaller, wider boards. The Maldives is basically the same as Indo, just de-caffienated in the nicest possible way! Your Alt will handle any really big stuff but most probably you would be on a smaller, wider board most of the time. I surfed my Hellfire all the time in preference to my Dom, but others in our group were on Dom's, Spitfire's and Potatonator's.

Comment

Based on that I think the Sub would be a lot of fun, but as you said there's plenty of options!

Comment

Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
        Hi Martin, I just got back from 18 days in the Maldives, so enjoyable. First week was at Cokes and Chickens, and even when some of the waves were pushing double overhead they were still quite soft to duck dive relative to my home beach. Having said that they had perfect shape with plenty of barrels and great speed down the line. What i noticed was that the top surfers all had smaller, wider boards. The Maldives is basically the same as Indo, just de-caffienated in the nicest possible way! Your Alt will handle any really big stuff but most probably you would be on a smaller, wider board most of the time. I surfed my Hellfire all the time in preference to my Dom, but others in our group were on Dom's, Spitfire's and Potatonator's.
        Thanks for your reply and stoked you had a great time. Looks like I should give the sub scorcher a chance.

Comment

yeah good stuff folks. The sub is a good option, as would the Activator...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            yeah good stuff folks. The sub is a good option, as would the Activator...
            Just ordered a new sub scorcher and will let you all know how it worked... Trip is in mid of september, but I will give it a try in the less perfect waves before.

Comment

just came back from Maldives surfing most of the time on my sub scorcher , this is one of the best boards i have ever surfed and its a good companion
              to take to Maldives.
              Here is my Maldives 2012 Facebook pics some with my custom made board and some with the sub scorcher
              enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0561745&type=3

Comment

Yewwww. I agreed, great all round board.

Comment

Nice! It's great to see some action shots.

Comment

Originally posted by surfmen View Post
                    just came back from Maldives surfing most of the time on my sub scorcher , this is one of the best boards i have ever surfed and its a good companion
                    to take to Maldives.
                    Here is my Maldives 2012 Facebook pics some with my custom made board and some with the sub scorcher
                    enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0561745&type=3
                    nice waves! and fotos! counting every day to get there...

Which spots did you surf?

Comment

Originally posted by csarqui View Post
                      Nice! It's great to see some action shots.
                      Hey csarqui - saw your signature, you already got your 6'0 mini driver? How does it go?

Comment

I purchased it but have yet to get a swell to take it out on. The surf has been 2ft here in San Diego for about a month. It's rough. I don't want to take it out in cruddy surf and not feel good about it. I'll be sure to put up some ride reports when I get some experience on it.

Comment

you gotta go though. you might find one, fast section that will make it worth it. plus you learn the sweet spot just by paddling around and getting junkers. then when it gets good it will feel that much better!

Comment

I took a js revolution that is a little more thinned out then the sub all over indo earlier in the year. Got some really good waves in and around bali and then up in the ments and it worked a treat. It was perfect for those shoulder to head high days as it just gave you a little more speed and didnt have to work as hard. So from my experience i think a sub would go great in the maldives and in my opinion it would make a great 2 board quiver with a round tail alternator.

Comment

Working...
                            X