X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Sub-Scorcher Info

"I wanna board for 'mush'. Something short and wide, but still a hi performance shortboard….something like Dane's board", Kolohe Andino. The challenge was laid down. Starting with the old SD, we squashed the dims to 5'6" x 19 3/4" x 2 3/16", lowered the entry rocker and shallowed out the concave through the center to straighten the rail line (for drive) and made it easier to lay such a wide platform over on a rail. Voila! Our stubbiest shortboard yet, but it still carves like a real board. Kolohe wanted to call it "The Trashcan Lid" because you don't need to go dumpster diving to get one of these.

Lost Sub-Scorcher Quiver Page

i saw scorcher is available in fst on the lost site.. not for me.. i'm thinking the sub scorcher or the sub driver would be great.. sub driver no fst which won't be an option for me then

Comment

yeah sub driver in fst would find its way fast into my quiver also for sure! most interesting ...lost design this year, imo

Comment

Yeah its a cool one. We'll keep you posted on Lost developments as they develop.

Cheers!

Comment

chris i'm still debating on a 5'10 or 5'8 sub. the volume of the 5'8 is really low no? i'm thinking that this is a hybrid type board so 27.3 L on the 5'8 is a lot lower then my 5'8 dom.. 5'10 is 29 and is 2L less then dom.. i don't want to ride a boat but i also don't want to be struggling to ride and catch waves.. i'm really on the fence on this one being 170ish and high intermediate surfer

Comment

i was also thinking that i'd ride this simiiar to the hellfire volume wise.. am i wrong?

Comment

High intermediate at 170 is 508 for sure. Honestly it doesn't feel like 27.3l. I'm reluctant to have that little volume in a HPSB. My Taj's both have over 28l. The Sub paddles easier than the stock 6'2" Taj, very fast and stable and you can do committed turns on it on bigger waves that'd have you nursing on a Dominator.
              My advise would be, if you want to use it to replace the Dom and surf small weak stuff, get the 510. If you're keeping your Dom for the bottom end and are getting a Sub for days where it's small with some punch or bigger but a bit weak to shortboard then the 508 goes great.
              Do you have a Hellfire? What size are you riding? It's very similar volume to the Hellfire so that's a good guideline. I'm not sure what size HF Chris would choose now, but I know his preference was the 510, and he was thinking 510 Sub initially too but is now riding a 508 Sub.
              My best advice would be to try and hold both. That's ultimately would made me realise the 510 had loads of volume and the 508 would work for me, although I was a little skeptical until I started paddling out on it for the first time.
              I've ridden it in a 4/3 with boots so far and it still felt fine. Trying it in a hooded 5/4 with boots tomorrow so I'll let you know if it feels too small in all that rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                i was also thinking that i'd ride this simiiar to the hellfire volume wise.. am i wrong?
                yeah let me know prjwebb. i plan on keeping the dom and using the sub in waist to head punchy waves. i might like it too much to put down though.. i don't have a hellfire and would think i'd be riding a 5'10 in that board bc they say ride 2 inches up from the dom.. i doubt i'll be able to feel the boards up bc i will most likely have to order it from the shop that carries firewires. i don't think they have any in but will double check.. going down to 27L makes me nervous but like i said i dont want a boat either. considering the volume is very similiar between the two board (hellfire and sub) what would change riding a 5'8 compared to the 5'10? chris could you possibly chime in and give your opinion as well? you've been pretty spot on with your recommendations with my boards and do well riding boards similiar size to you (even though you're on the west coast now) but have a very good idea of what the east coast wave is like.. thanks guys! greatly appreciate it don't want to blow $ on a board that doesn't go right..

Comment

Chris, what's behind the 6'4 sub-scorcher having 39,9l volume according to fw website, but only 38,6l (even as they use the marking cl instead of the more correct l) on the lost surfboards site..? I suppose the fst sub-scorch model is no different in shape than in the other techs (although the tail shape does look a bit different in pictures) ..just wondering and splitting hairs here maybe, but 1,3l is starting to be a substantial diff. imo.. obviously more than twice as substantial as some earlier dom 604 dimensions showing 40,9l and now 41,5l..

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...t_sub-scorcher

vs.

http://www.lostenterprises.com/surfb...e-sub-scorcher

Still, I think I'll wait for the chance that the new sub-driver would become available in fst before ordering a ...lost shape. hopefully the 6'6 in 42,3l largest lost stock size would be included as well, as it would fit smack in the middle of my dom 604 (41,5l) and sp 508 (43l) volumes, thus complementing my now two-board quiver nicely.. I think I'd need slightly more volume on a sub-driver than on my dom due to the perceivably bit more performance-oriented shape and steeper front rocker
                  Last edited by Mana; 12-12-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Hey Kdropin,
                    I do think its a matter of preference. The 508 has worked well for me, the one point I will make is the rails are short so you have to like what comes along with having a bit less length. But to agree with Prj, the volume is ok for someone your weight even though it is less than the dominator. My 508 Dominator feels a little too floaty for me now, but comes back to where i want it after a session.

Mana, not entirely sure. I have the volume being about 39.5. Not sure why Matt has something different?

All I can say is that the current FST Sub Scorcher files have been approved by Matt himself.

Hope this helps

Comment

I think a good way to look at it is to say, could you see yourself on a 5'6" Dom? Then the 2" up onto your Hellfire and Subscorcher would be easy to justify. I found my 5'8" Spitfire to be more volume than I needed, especially once the waves had a little bit of punch, but the 5'6" would be too short for me a 6ft tall. I was looking at the 5'8" Hellfire as a Spitfire replacement, with a Sweet P in mind to cover the junky conditions, but then I got the chance of a good deal on the Sub so grabbed it instead of a HF.

Comment

thanks chris! what size waves have you taken it out in for the most part? how would you compare the paddling ability to the 5'8 dom? have you tried to grovel with the 5'8? prjwebb did you get in today in the 5mm? this is the most i've ever debated on a board b4.. damn
                        if i went with the 5'8 i'd probably rock the g-ams to get drive off a smaller railed board.

Comment

Yeah I used it today in the hooded 5/4, still plenty of float but damn did i feel slow haha. Hopefully it's just because it's a brand new suit that needs breaking in and because I'm not used to it. I couldn't bare to feel like that all winter!
                          Huge swell all this week so I'll be getting in quite a bit hopefully!

Comment

nice keep feedback coming.. hows the paddle compared to your 5'8 spit?

Comment

Not quite as well, but better than my 6'2" Taj even though the Taj has a higher volume.

Comment

Working...
                              X