X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prjwebb:
    I'd say it's a bit like the 5'8 vs 5'10 dom/spitfire issue.... you can use both, but the bigger one will go better in smaller surf. In the beginning the 5'4 SP felt a bit floaty for me, but I only noticed it when sitting on it and duck-diving it. It does not feel too big when surfing it. And after using it I now don't have a problem with the volume at all, I'd rather have that little extra float in the typically the small summer stuff. But then again I haven't tried the 5'2 and can't compare them.... I'm happy with the 5'4, but I'm quite sure I could use the 5'2 if the intention was to use it in a bit better waves. I've used the 5'4 in knee high small mushy stuff and up to shoulder high waves that I normally would use my Alternator or Spitfire in, and it goes great in both.

Conclusion(?): the 5'4 will go great in small, mushy and better waves: safe bet. While the 5'2 might be the one if the intention is to use it only in waves that have slightly more punch in them...

- Are you planning to keep the Spitfire or is the Potato going to replace it (or maybe another board is to replace the spit)?

Here's my 5'4 :)
    The sides of the tailpad is from some leftover bits I had from another tailpad. Wish I didn't spread the tailpad out that much, but I didn't plan to make the pieces on the sides until after applying the pad.

Attachment
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Erling; 01-02-2012, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Cheers guys. The 504 looks huge haha.
      Erling, it'll prob be a case of Spud for anything too small for my Sub Scorcher. I can't have too many boards or I never know which to take.

Comment

OK. So if you want the SP to handle the lower and mid range of the 5'8 SF, maybe the 5'2 SP is the way to go. Otherwise I would go for the 5'4 SP.
        Yeah the 5'4 is huge, but that is what makes it so much fun. The speed you get from this thing is sick, and with the wide tail you can still do turns without the board stalling and loosing speed like other boards tend to do in softer waves. And it still goes in better waves as well, the only thing is the lack of rocker and the width might be a problem in steeper take-offs, really have to drive it from the tail from the moment you get on your feet.

My 5'4 is about as high as my chin, so I guess the 5'4 does feel smaller for me than it does for Iggy, although we're about the same weight.
        Last edited by Erling; 01-03-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Exactly!!

Comment

Took the time to remove old wax and clean up my boards today, and took a few pictures of them together. Have to say, the Billabong tailpad on the Spitfire makes the tail look a bit strange... And the Sweet Potato tail is strange, not just the tailpad ;)

Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

nice quiver you've got there!

Comment

Yeah, think it got me covered for most of the conditions I surf. Haven't got to test the Spitfire out properly yet, and could probably managed with just the alt and potato.... but I think the spit will find it's place in there as soon as I get to try it out and get used to it (and find the right fins for it) :)

Comment

Covered you are!!

Comment

could anyone give me an idea regarding a sweet potato. i am 6 foot and weight 109kgs currently surf on a 8 foot 7s super fish xl which floats me more than enough. i travel all the time for work and want to downsize to take the board with me, (the 8 foot does not go in small rentals to well!!!) my question is do you think the 6;4 sp will float me ok or be to small. I am an average surfer and have only been surfing for just over a year. any help would be appreciated

Comment

Looks like your 8'0 7s Super Fish XL is 71 liters: http://globalsurfindustries.com/surf...uperFishXL.php
                      The 6'4 Sweet Potato is 58.9 Liters.... so that is about 11 liters less than your 8'0.

Based on the volume calculator: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...olume_calc.php
                      Beginner@109kg: Min: 53.2 L , Max: 72.9 L
                      Intermediate@109kg: Min: 45.6 L , Max: 59.2 L
                      Advanced@109kg: Min: 43.4L , Max: 52.5L

Depends on what kind of conditions your want to use the board in, how you want the board to perform and how good your surfing technique is . Maybe something around 55-60 liters would be good, making the volume of the 6'4 Sweet Potato perfect, BUT I've never heard of anyone riding the 6'4, and I think you might struggle with turning that board even at your weight... and it might not be the best board as an allrounder
                      I think the Addvance will be a better allrounder with the narrower tail: 6'6@48L , 6'[email protected] , 7'[email protected]

To answer your question, yes the 6'4 Sweet Potato will float you ;) It's actually the recommended size for a beginner at 109kg: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...id=buyersguide

Anyway, I think Chris should be the one to help you out here, he'll have the CORRECT answer for you :)
                      Last edited by Erling; 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Tha's the biggest problem!!!!.I remember my old days when I could not afford boards jejejee
                        Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                        Cheers guys. The 504 looks huge haha.
                        Erling, it'll prob be a case of Spud for anything too small for my Sub Scorcher. I can't have too many boards or I never know which to take.

Comment

Ha yeah, I used to be strickly a 6'2" 18.25" 2.25" which I surfed in anything. I never even thought about having different boards. It was just a case of, "If my 6'2" won't catch anything there's no point in going in!"
                          I'm glad my outlook has changed, my best surfs have been on 5'8"s now!

Comment

Hi guys.. I have read many posts about yours advices, but i don't find a case like mine, so i need your help..
                            I'm 183cms, 75 kgs and i surf like low intermediate (I think). I'm interested in SP to catch lots of waves and surf, trying to make a few simple maneuvers such as cuts .. I am a basic surfer at an early stage to maneuver .. Mostly just surf the wave without any maneuver ..
                            Before this I would like to know your opinion on the ideal measures for my SP .. I was thinking a 5'6'' or 5'8''.. What do you think?
                            Thank you!
                            Hugs

Comment

Originally posted by prettu View Post
                              Hi guys.. I have read many posts about yours advices, but i don't find a case like mine, so i need your help..
                              I'm 183cms, 75 kgs and i surf like low intermediate (I think). I'm interested in SP to catch lots of waves and surf, trying to make a few simple maneuvers such as cuts .. I am a basic surfer at an early stage to maneuver .. Mostly just surf the wave without any maneuver ..
                              Before this I would like to know your opinion on the ideal measures for my SP .. I was thinking a 5'6'' or 5'8''.. What do you think?
                              Thank you!
                              Hugs
                              Hey Prettu. How small of waves do you want to surf???. 5'6" packs lots of volume.What board are you currently riding and how small is the smaller board you have surfed so far??. Any problems popping up?
                              Have you considered the dominator???. Very user friendly board. If you want to develop your surf I believe this board will have you ripping the small stuff as well... unless the small stuff you are intending to ride is really small.
                              Let us know

Comment

Yeah I don't think the SP is an ideal daily driver to develop your surfing on. Something like the Dominator would be much more versatile and forgiving for learning the basics and it'll feel much more familiar when transferring those moves to different boards. The SP is kind of in it's own little world.

Comment

Working...
                                X