X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• really small waves....5'8

hey all, so i live in the middle east...attached are 2 pics i took today with a little wind swell we had, currently i have a roxy girls board i found in a quik store. its a mini mal at 7'3/4 i think...no sizes on the board. it gets me surfing waves from about 1ft?

so i would love a 5'8 potato but look at the size of my waves!! i do travel to bigger and better waves and have a 6'7 bic,

firewire go on about volume indicator but i cant find any other websites to compare? i dont want to buy a potato if its same or less than my mini mal? anyone help?

cheers, james

42 people look at my post and no one can help me??

Comment

Well it's impossible to gauge the volume of your board without dims and knowing what the board is.
      That said, the Potato is aimed at small and junky waves and doesn't need a huge amount of volume to work because the volume is confined to a small, flat area.
      Your height and weight would be helpful in advising size. It's not hugely beneficial to grossly oversize the Sweet Potato.

Comment

Check the baked potato as well, little more refined than the sweet potato and destines to the same sort of conditions

Comment

Stick with your Bic.

Comment

Hi James, i've only had my SP 5'8" for a month, so I am probably not the best person to comment, but my experience so far is that the SP can catch 1ft waves fairly easily, as long as it has shape and a little push, ie, at low tide with some curl to the wave. for where I surf, at high tide, the waves are pretty slow and thick without much shape and I find my longboard much better. Personally, I would get a SP but keep your mini mal. they are 2 different animals and each board has it's time and place.

Comment

sorry guys,...ok here are the details below- im just an average or even less surfer, but have been to bali, sri lanka, oz and other places and love it, with my bic im able to do turns andenjoy steeper waves, but on small waves it doenst float enough,

the roxy board was just a buy as i was passing a shop- no sizes..might even be a display piece but i ride it and its always fun.....but i just wish to turn quicker and improve! the mini mal feels like its more of a "set the rail" and trim the wave and ride like a mal??

length: 7'3
              width: 21.5
              thickness: 2.5

Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

Ok James, how about your height and weight? That's crucial for nailing the size of the board.

Comment

6ft tall and 84 kilos

Comment

Yeah I'd look at the 5'6 or 5'8" Sweet Potato or the 5'7" Baked Potato.

Comment

ok well i will go look at it in a shop and get more of a feel. thanks to all for helping.

Comment

Ditto.

The BP will be more versatile due to its pulled in tail and nose plus a tad bit more rocker.

Comment

Check out the Potatonator as well

Comment

yeah james the Potato is definitely not like anything you have. Its a board geared 100% for small waves. If you are traveling a lot and wind up surfing bigger waves a handful of times each year, you might think about going with a small Addvance 606 or a Dominator as well. I would hate for you to get to a good wave in Europe of Africa or something and have the potato in overhead surf. That can be tricky.

My major point here is to make sure that you are wanting to get a small wave board if you are getting the potato. I would say its less of a travel board than the other 2 i mentioned.

Cheers and hope this helps.

Comment

hey chris...i am looking for a small wave board- i use my bic 6'6 to travel around the world- its solid and i have grown used to it over the years! i just want a board which can help me progress in small waves with float and be stoked :-) thanks for all the advice-- just looking now on firewire site at the baked potato for the 5'11? loads of volume maybe so i can ride small waves...dont forget i live the the middle east..not famous for surf!!!

cheers J

Comment

Working...
                              X