Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato Help? No speed

Hey Gang

I recently purchased s 5'6 Sweet Potato and have controller fins on it. I have had it out about 5 times. Just recently in a smaller size waves 2-3 and I can't seem to find the gas pedal on this board. I have surfed it on a 4-5 ft day and it flew but anything smaller and I can't seem to get the board moving down the line. Especially in the mush waves I was on yesterday..... I kept getting stuck after take off not having enough speed to stay ahead of the white water. Any advice or idea would greatly be appreciated!

Bill

Make sure you're weight is back and you back foot is over the fins.
    Other than that have you gone too small? If any thing I find them too fast

Comment

Thanks for the reply.... I am only 165 lbs if anything I was afraid I went to big on this board. Should my back foot be back further than normal? I seem to have it in front of the front ones or does it need to be smack in the middle of them or on the very back... Thanks for the help

Bill

Comment

A little bit of aggression goes a long way. Get up fast and really get on it. Don't go to the bottom of the wave. Turn immediately after standing up. The SP should take right off after the first pump. Yes, foot placement is pretty crucial too. You have the right fins for the board, so that's not the problem. Don't give up. You'll get it figured out soon.

Comment

u went too big.. but u just have to find the sweet spot..

Comment

those fins at 165 might b too much fin.. i hated em at 170.. like the stretches a lot

Comment

Originally posted by lycokayaker View Post
              Hey Gang

I recently purchased s 5'6 Sweet Potato and have controller fins on it. I have had it out about 5 times. Just recently in a smaller size waves 2-3 and I can't seem to find the gas pedal on this board. I have surfed it on a 4-5 ft day and it flew but anything smaller and I can't seem to get the board moving down the line. Especially in the mush waves I was on yesterday..... I kept getting stuck after take off not having enough speed to stay ahead of the white water. Any advice or idea would greatly be appreciated!

Bill
              At 165lbs the 5'6" has tons of foam.Putting that aside, the potato is a board which needs to be driven from the back foot. Your back foot right against the very kick of the tail pad.as soon as the rail engages that thing just shoots off. Controllers are pretty good fins for this board. As pagei said, that's the approach you should take with yor little starch friend

Comment

Don't worry about it being big, my BP is 5'7" and I'm only 150!!!

Dude, the boards; SP and BP, fly, extremely back foot is all.

Comment

Ok good to know guys! Next time out I will really keep in mind to be aggressive with my back foot..... Are you guys running tail pads on your potatoes? I couldn' t seem to find one that fit right as the tail is so wide and look right.

Bill

Comment

Yeah I put one on for the very purpose of knowing my back foot was right back.
                    I find if you spread a pad right out it doesn't look too bad. Would rather not have one on it to be honest.
                    You could put just a tail kick on rather than a whole pad. I think gorilla make one.

Comment

http://www.mdsurfstore.com/product/wide-tail

Call Sean Mattison. The website says they are sold out, but I bet he has some. These pads have great coverage for wide tails. They are all I use.

Comment

Can't surf without a pad on my boards!! useless without it. I have a Creatures Mick fanning on my 5'2" potato a bit spread out

Comment

stomp pad definitely helps a lot...and also cuts down on wax! :D

Comment

Hate Pads - eco wax - what size (in relation to your height are you talking about)

The SP is a board that can be propelled down the line by fast top to bottom rollercoasting if you will - it wont just generate its own speed, I found it slow to begin with then one your drive of the bottom turn good and hard - BOOM......

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies, got out yesterday in small really small mushy waves and made sure to pay attention on my back foot and work off it more and wow. What a difference.....

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X