X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet potato sizing

This must be a redundant thread on these boards but I'd appreciate the advice. Currently riding a 6'2" Spitfire in New England at 5'11" and 170lbs. Loving the Spit and I'm looking for something for sloppy days where longboards dominate the line up. I could sell my longboard and fish to finance a SP. A 5'6" would match the volume for the spit. Should I go more or less volume?

Depends on how you feel your spit paddles if its good for float then why not a 5' 7" (39l) Baked Potato
    Last edited by 50young; 10-22-2012, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Well a 5'6" is gonna feel quite corky at your current weight even with westsuit on.
      I'm 84Kgs and ride a 5'2" and floats me plenty
      I'll probably aim for the 5'4" but just a note, it will not replace your longboard, it will rather perform nicely on waves teh longboarders would be sharing

Comment

Agree with iggy i am 177lbs and ride a 5.6 go 5.4 max. I think it will not catch waves so easy and early as a longoboard but if get up and go you cane take so much SPEED even at 2 feet wind chop.........

Comment

with your height and weight, you could go as small as 5'2 SP but if is too small, 5'4 is another option too. I ride a 5'4 because there were no 5'2 in stock. 5'4 is great but i definitely could go 5'2 because they do have a lot of float.

Comment

If you are happy with the 6'2 Spit you obviously like (or need) a lot of VOLUME in your board or generally ride them large - the older we get the more this trend increases. I would not rule out a a 5'8 Sweet potato - you'll catch anything - I'd highly recommend a demo - beg borrow or steal one BEFORE you buy - I had planned on buying a 5'6 sweet potato for contests as they are usually held in crap surf but the Turbo on van has gone pop (goodbye board money)
            Last edited by surferireland; 10-25-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

I'm 82 kgs and heading out to the Airport tonight midnight to pick up my new 6/0 fst, fcs P/nator friends are bringing in from the Firewire factory on the Gold Coast. All just to be ready for for a dawny up the East Coast tomorrow morning!. I'm selling my 6/2 Dom @ 38 ltrs and going up 2 litres in volume because this will be my uber grovel board and I find my 6/4 Hellfire to be pretty good in small waves anyway and I don't want too much overlap. I found demoing a 5/4 SP that it just did not have the paddle power I needed, tho I must admit that at 61yrs I am super sensitive to this paddleability issue. My Dom was used as an all-rounder pretty exclusively for 2 years and was a real wave catching machine so I figure that a couple of xtra liters will only raise the wave count in small surf. I suspect that the same principles will apply to your situation.

Comment

woooo lets see the pics!

Comment

Working...
                X