X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'4 Sweet Potato

Was really unsure if I should wait for the Potatonator to come out, but was just informed that I can pick up a 5'4 Sweet Potato next week. When I got the Spitfire from UK I ordered a bag for the Sweet Potato as well... so it would be a shame to not use it ;D

How does the SF4s do in this board, loose but still good speed and drive?

yeah erring that is what i would ride in that board!! give them a good go!!

Comment

Hmmm.... how come you now ride the 502 SP ?
      I was actually thinking that since I feel that my 5'8 Spitfire has a tad too much float, the 5'4 might just feel a too big... but I knew you were using it and thought that it was ok for me as well..... I've read that Iggy sold his 5'6 and is getting a 5'2, but although he's about my weight... but he's way shorter that me.

So Chris, what's your reason to drop in size and what benefits did you get from it ? Any downsides ? Should I consider getting the 502 instead?
      Probably have to order from UK again then and i will probably cost me a bit more and won't get the board until january, but I'll rather do that than ending up with a too big board (again)... If I'm lucky they've got both for me to choose from next week (Norway), will know after the weekend.
      Last edited by Erling; 12-15-2011, 01:42 PM.

Comment

It all depends on your ability and what you feel more comfortable with. When I bought the 5'6" I was doubting about going shorter cause I though it would be simply too small despite the volume given by the charts. After surfed it I realyzed how much volume that board packs, it's simply massive!!!
        Now you have to remember something, the potato was designed for less than favorable conditions. By going to short you might be limiting the potential of the board. A 5'4" will definitely work better on crappy conditions than a 5'2"
        In my case I went with the 5'2" cause I tried a mini simmons 4'8" and it was quite a trip, it actually took away my fear of going small. Besides for the conditions I surf most of the time it will fit like a glove.
        I remember when I was on the 5'6" I was actually getting almost as many waves as the longboarders and way more waves than shortboarders.
        My height also plays a roll here. At your height the 5'2" might actually feel a bit short (not flotation wise).
        I have a set of controllers waiting ready to be put on the little potato
        Last edited by iggy; 12-15-2011, 09:27 PM.

Comment

What's a "Potatonator" is this some sort of cross between a Dominator and a Sweet Potato?

Comment

one would think that based on the name.............................................. .

Comment

Thanks Iggy. I hope Chris get the time to answer my question during the weekend, as he is the same height/weight as me and have had the 5'6, 5'4 and 5'2 SP :)

Comment

Come on Chris!!!!!! spill the beans!!!!jejejeje

Comment

Great feedback iggy! Like Erling, I'm deciding between the 5'4 and 5'2 potato and keen to gather as much info as possible before jumping on board, so to speak. Come on Chris, I'm also really keen to learn from your experiences.
                  Erling, from what I've read the future fin set up (controller fins) go awesome in the potato. Consider going down that path rather than the fcs set up. Even Nev raves about them on the sweet potato video.

Comment

I spoke to Chris about the SP size a while ago. He said if he was still in the NE he'd be on the 5'4 but in Cali with better waves and less rubber the 5'2 works great.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      I spoke to Chris about the SP size a while ago. He said if he was still in the NE he'd be on the 5'4 but in Cali with better waves and less rubber the 5'2 works great.
                      thats y i'm on the 5'4 as well... i do second guess here and there though :0

Comment

What other boards do you have kdropin, what's your weight/height and in what conditins do you think the 5'4 might feel too big?

Comment

i'm about 5'11 170.. have a 5'8 dom. and a 6'2 alt. but its gen 1 with the 2.3/8 thickness

feels a lil big when i get it into bigger waves i guess. its just such a fat board it takes some adjusting.. i surf east coast waves so in the summer especially i like the extra float fun to tool around on mess around cheater 5 etc.

Comment

Yeah PRJ fair assessment there. That can justify 2 inches easily!

Comment

Hey Erling.....

"So Chris, what's your reason to drop in size and what benefits did you get from it ? Any downsides ? Should I consider getting the 502 instead?
                              Probably have to order from UK again then and i will probably cost me a bit more and won't get the board until january, but I'll rather do that than ending up with a too big board (again)... If I'm lucky they've got both for me to choose from next week (Norway), will know after the weekend."

In DIRECT response to that I can say that if i ever had to wear a 5/4 or 6/5, I would be on a 504 sweet potato. I have gone as SMALL as i would ever recommend someone my height and weight, non-professional, should go.

so why the drop? lots of waves between 12 and 18 seconds in period. this means even at waist high or smaller, the right direction and bottom means long fast waves. Back home i would normally surf waves between 7 and 10 seconds in period, meaning a lot softer so the added length went a long way without hurting performance....

hope this helps...

Comment

Working...
                              X