X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight of SP

Hi - just wondering if anyone with a 5'4 SP could weigh their board to give me an idea if the board I have just bought is waterlogged.
    Just sold a 5'6 RF SP and replaced it with a 5'4 FSTversion. Got it second hand -meant to be 4 months old and mint but has a small ding on the
    nose and one on the tail. Seller reckons it happened in transit -anyway feels really heavy compared to my 5'6 I just sold .
    Weighed it and comes in at 3450grams with wax and tail pad but no fins. Weighed my new 5'10 JS blak box PU and this is 2850g.
    Seems weird as I thought Firewire were meant to be lighter. Never weighed any boards before but quite interesting .
    I know FST are meant to be a bit heavier but given the downsize thought they would be the same.
    Anyway if anyone has a SP 5'4 would appreciate if you could give me an idea as to rough weight.
    Many thanks in advance!

My 5'2 weighs about 3.1kg with a pad but no wax or fins. It could be dry but there could be a bit of water in there. Suck on the dings and if you taste salt it's taken on water. If you can't suck any air out it's water tight.
    The FSTs are a bit heavier than the RF versions due to the nature of the construction.

Comment

interesting ... is that a RF or FST? .pretty small dings - cant suck any air but taste of salt . maybe clean it and try again!!
      Thanks

Comment

Mine is FST.
        The Potato is also quite a bit heavier than my other FWs. My Mini Driver is 2.6kg without wax or fins.

Yeah I'd clean it then suck again!

Comment

haha - will do - interesting the weight thing. I know they have a alot of volume but wasn't expecting that.
          Meant to ask also - do FW's have defects in the rails - both sides of the wooden rails have what looks like filler under the glass
          up near the nose? both in line with each other? very strange and if it were a PU board I woud think it was a snapped nose repair.
          Thanks for the replies and anyone else out there with a SP 5'4 and a set of scales feel free to chip in please

Comment

Mine has something similar. It's where the lengths of balsa are joined together I think.

Comment

ok thanks - filler can't be helping with the overall weight of the board

Comment

i'd say the difference in a heavy or light wax job would have a bigger effect than whatever is used to join the balsa. The Sweet Potato has thick rails. That's quite a lot of balsa running around the board, plus the high density skins on the top and bottom all add weight even though the foam in the core is lighter.
                RF is the best option if you want the lightest board. The FSTs are very durable but in small wave boards the light weight and liveliness of the RF is big plus. That said, in the more standard shaped boards, the FST is light. My buddy couldn't get his head around how light my Mini Driver is.

Comment

yeah makes sense - thats weird that there is such a difference between shapes. Just feels like a bit of a brick at 3.5kg and concerned it will not feel as lively as the 5'6 I had.

Comment

Anyone got a SP they can weight for me please? or anyone from firewire - just trying to work out if there is any water in it at all?
                    can't suck any air or water from the dings but still feels very heavy ( particularly tail end)
                    thanks

Comment

I had that board also, it IS quite heavy, if it was waterlogged there should be quite a bit of discolouring in the balsa rails and feel spongy as the foam dissolves when waterlogged.

I imagine what you have is a fine board, just get out and surf it.

Comment

My first post. I love FWs and always weigh my boards -thought this might interest someone..

RF DOM 6'0 - 3020g (gone)
                        RF SP 5'4 - 3080g
                        RF spit 5'10 - 2740g
                        FST Hell 5'10 - 2940g
                        RF flexfire 6'3 - 2320g!!
                        FST flexfire 6'4 - 2950g (gone)
                        Old delam'd/repaired Futura 6'0 FST - 3130g (ornament..)

most PU/epoxy shortboards I've owned have been 2.9 to 3.1 kg. All with tail pads/wax. I never buy new.

Comment

here are my previous new board weights no fins no wax. (with tailpad)
                          508 SP FST - 3.777
                          508 SP RF - 3.270
                          507 BP RF -3.000
                          602 SPit FST -3.173
                          606 alt FST 3.150
                          Last edited by DGR; 11-26-2012, 04:05 AM.

Comment

^^^
                            Last edited by DGR; 11-26-2012, 04:03 AM. Reason: posted twice

Comment

Working...
                            X