X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP 5'10 or 5'8

I am trying to justify a SP 5'10FST purchase. There's a perfect used 5'10 with pad and FCS fins that I can pick up for way below retail, but afraid it's going to be to much board. I live in a wave starved part of the US southeast. Average surf range is waste high and mushy. I've been riding longboards 9'-9'6 for 25 years. I also ride a 7 fish that I bring on surf checks but never ride it cause I usually just have more fun on my longboard. I just want to get into the wave early, have stability and be able to come off the bottom and top. I'm also 37 years old /175 dry. My question is, realizing that i am very comfortable on and turning 75 lts of volume around on my bigger boards, is the 5'10 still going to be to much board? Will I be able to turn it? Should I consider a baked potato? BTW the are no demo boards around? Thanks for any feedback.
    Marc

If you don't ride the 7 fish, I'd simply replace it with the Addvance 7'2"... and if you get to the point where you ride the 7'2" Addvance more often than the Longboard then get the Sweet Potato...

I have a 9'6" "in the pink" and a 7'6" Addvance... and I find they both paddle about the same, the Addvance is much easier to turn etc... and more forgiving in many ways... I.E. the turned up nose really helps to make steep drops etc...

I also have a 6'0" sweet potato but I only pull it out if no one else is in the line-up... I.E. I'm in the Outerbanks, because it does not paddle like a longboard it paddles like a typically mid-length fun board, Takayama Egg etc...

Comment

The addvance way is a good recommendation but I'll go for the 7'0" maybe even the 6'6". Still plenty of volume but surprisingly responsive. It will have you paddling onto waves with ease, never like a longboard but quite on the same range.
      If you are able to turn a longboard you might find actually any smaller board a bit wabbly for the first few surfs

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I was just stoked with SP. Ill definitely look at the Addvance. I do find my 7 fish wobbly and just not that comfortable,on it. I am looking for something that's going to give the early wave entry and turn ability. With the ability to surf once a week and usually small mushy waves just getting bored on the longboard.

Comment

If it is that good a deal, I don't see much risk in grabbing it. 5'10" is a lot more volume than you probably need but it could be an easier transition from your longboard. Maybe surf it all winter and move it for a smaller/different model in the spring without taking a loss?

Comment

The potato is quite a unique board. And the 5'10" will pack not only heaps of volume but a massive tail as well.It's a board designed to be ridden short, really short and coming from a longboard it will require quite some adjustments. I used to have a 5'6" which I later changed for a 5'2" and what a difference!, it changed completely my perception about the board

I do believe you should keep the potato idea in your head once you have transitioned from the longboard.

Comment

i'd get a spud to mix it up..

Comment

yup yup!!

Comment

Hey dukey, I have an addvance 6'6" , a 6'2" spitfire and a recently purchased sweet potato. The sweet potato is 5' 6" . I have also done a heap of long boarding so I know what you mean. The addvance is a good board but doesn't have the wow factor for me, so it is not getting used much. . It will take a bit of adjusting if you did decide to go the sweet potato. It really does paddle like a board a foot longer, catches waves unbelievably well for such a short board, but the real attraction comes from the speed, turning and rippability on small waves. If you are looking for unexpected smiles a mile wide on average waves the sweet potato will deliver in bucket loads of spray

Comment

fair assessment i would say liquid magic, though the addvance has a super important position in the firewire quiver offering longboard float without long board length. That is really what the addvance is about. The sweet potato is almost like the board a shortboarder can buy to avoid having to get a long board!!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X