X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White rapidfire sweet potato

I took a trip to firewire's factory in currumbin while on a family holiday on the gold coast. They had a 5'6" sweet potato white rapidfire on a sale rack so I bought it on a whim.
    I got to ride it at burleigh heads on a glassy 2-3 foot morning. I am used to a 6'2" spitfire, but found the shorter length no problems, the board paddles so well, and I was surprised it has a bit of nose rocker and take off's are a breeze. A couple of pumps and the board flies, making flat sections easily and very quick rail to rail. The white rapidfire feel really good, better in some way than the bamboo deck on my old advance. I was quickly thinking that this board is going to get used 95 % of the time for summer surf. The deck dents in a good way, I'd say half way between pu and fst in strength, but that is no drawback to me. This board will get an extra epoxy patch for my feet like all my boards do.
    The rapid fire looks really good. It is a cracking board
    A bit more on the construction. Had a surf 2' reef break today. More impressed with this board., it is perfect as a small wave board. I had a solid collision with a mini mal, enough to leave a blue mark from the other board. My rapidfire advance would have had the rail shattered, but on the white rapidfire it looks like the rail strength is much better, no shatter. I think my fst spitfire would also have had the rail splinter.
    Last edited by liquidmagic; 12-17-2012, 12:55 AM.

Extra epoxy patch? How does that work? Do you get a shaper to do it for you?

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
      Extra epoxy patch? How does that work? Do you get a shaper to do it for you?
      I ride the boards half a dozen times, to stabilize the deck and then I use a ding all epoxy repair kit @ $15 and glass on two patches front foot and back. I don't get any deck wear after that
      Last edited by liquidmagic; 12-12-2012, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Interesting!

Comment

liquid i am sure thats practical ... but it must look messy doesn't it ?

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
            liquid i am sure thats practical ... but it must look messy doesn't it ?
            Works for me. I buy boards to ride them not look pretty. I ride them to their death. I was discussing this with the FireWire guy I bought the board from and he told me that some of the pro's also get a patch put on their boards when they get them. It's the same for me with pu boards. Helps me with longevity, as I'm not exactly light on my feet. Getting back to my post. I hadn't been able to find anything on white rapidfire and was trying to convey the excellent feel of the board with this construction, and that I have found the deck strength shows knee knockers and foot compressions a bit easier than fst. Although nothing like what I have seen put on a fairly new future flex construction
            Last edited by liquidmagic; 12-14-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X