Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oversizing the sweet potato disadvantages?

What are the disadvantages to oversizing a sweet potato?
    I have been considering the sweet potato for a while but, I'm having a hard time with wrapping my head around riding a 5'4 or 5'6.
    I currently ride a 9'0 Takayama and really would like to change it up. The SP appeals to me for it's small wave ability and size. Traveling around with a 5'10 or 6'0 is a lot easier than my 9'0.

I don't have any interest in the addvance.

Good shape
    Intermediate ability
    6ft 175lbs
    Surfing on the East Coast

I think the 5'6" would be plenty. If you go too big they get a bit awkward to turn as you need to surf over the tail and then reach the sweet spot for the front foot also.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. 5'6 still seems crazy short since a 6'6 is the smallest board I have been on before. My thought process on going a little bigger was to help with the transition from the longboard. I was thinking with going bigger I would be able to paddle faster and catch more waves. I knew I would sacrifice some of the turning ability but, when your usually dealing with a 9'0 X 22 X 2/7/8 the donwnside of going from a 5'6 to a 5'8 -6'0 was an after thought.

Comment

yeah i guess compared to a longboard it's still going to feel pretty free. i wouldn't go huge though. have you felt one in the flesh? they do pack a lot of foam! you could always do some cross stepping haha

Comment

My mate got a 6 footer for the same reasons. He loves it. He was warned about the size but really wanted to ride it like a longboard so it hasn't been an issue for him.

Comment

I have checked the SP out a few times and even 2 times last week. Everytime I go in thinking 1 thing and come out thinking another. Even considered picking up a mini simmons in 6'2-6'4 range but I keep coming back to the SP.

Goanna thanks for the feedback. To me it seems that most people want to go as small as possible with the potato family. I want to go small without the risk of getting something that will require a huge learning curve due to the wave quality where I live.

Comment

Originally posted by jkryan View Post
              What are the disadvantages to oversizing a sweet potato?
              I have been considering the sweet potato for a while but, I'm having a hard time with wrapping my head around riding a 5'4 or 5'6.
              I currently ride a 9'0 Takayama and really would like to change it up. The SP appeals to me for it's small wave ability and size. Traveling around with a 5'10 or 6'0 is a lot easier than my 9'0.

I don't have any interest in the addvance.

Good shape
              Intermediate ability
              6ft 175lbs
              Surfing on the East Coast
              jkryan,
              I too used to ride a 9'0 ITP Takayama and thought a 5'2 or 5'4 spud was waaaaay too small, BUT I was wrong! If we were the same height and weight, i would recommend the 5'2 but since you are 6ft, the 5'4 definitely...don't go bigger than that. I currently ride the 5'4 and it has tons of float. I catch waves knee to head high. The only advantages a longboard has over the spud is it can catch a wave way before it breaks and when you are trying to ride every bit of the ripple to shore! haha!

disadvantages to oversizing: you can't duck dive as deep and you can't bury the rail as easily because of all the volume.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Hawaii_boi
                Looks like you know exactly where I'm coming from. I checked the dims on the 6'6 I have ridden and it is exactly like the 5'6 but a foot shorter.
                Thanks for the feedback

Comment

Originally posted by hawaii_boi View Post
                  jkryan,
                  I too used to ride a 9'0 ITP Takayama and thought a 5'2 or 5'4 spud was waaaaay too small, BUT I was wrong! If we were the same height and weight, i would recommend the 5'2 but since you are 6ft, the 5'4 definitely...don't go bigger than that. I currently ride the 5'4 and it has tons of float. I catch waves knee to head high. The only advantages a longboard has over the spud is it can catch a wave way before it breaks and when you are trying to ride every bit of the ripple to shore! haha!

disadvantages to oversizing: you can't duck dive as deep and you can't bury the rail as easily because of all the volume.

ALOHA!!
                  Ditto

Comment

i basically did the same thing. i was challenged by my cousins to surf v-land all winter, so i stopped longboarding. i went from a 9'0- 7'6 fun- 6'8 JK shape- 6'6 SF- 6'0 fish, 5'10 VG all since sept '12. its all about the paddle. if ur comfortable paddling the line up on a 5'4, then no problem, but if u want to catch waves and learn at the same time, it wont hurt to go a lil bigger. the resale of firewire is high, so u can definitely downsize quickly.

Comment

btw, the 6'10 ADD paddles almost as good as any of my 9'0s

Comment

fokaiHI,
                        Ever since I dropped down from a 9'0 ITP longboard to a 5'4 spud, I've had to jock for position because the longboards and SUPers keep trying to catch all the waves. I'm able to compete most of the time :)

ALOHA!!

Comment

hawaii_boi,
                          I know what u mean. SUP is like the worst. It makes me happy to see them so cold right now. I'm sure the spud can handle. for me, I'm use to having a lot of volume, so going a lil bigger works fine for me. i was really amazed again w the 5'6 PN on mon. it seemed easier to catch waves than my 5'10 VG.

Comment

Any thoughts on going with a 5'10-6'0 PN over the SP? Looks like the volume is about the same and the paddling may be better on the PN.

Comment

a preference call. they both sick boards, the PN just gives you a few extra options having a narrower tail...

Comment

Working...
                              X