Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP 54 or 52

Hi Gents,

I'm struggeling to decide which potato to buy. I'm 177 and 72 kilos surfing in Denmark. I'm a novice surfing in slobby waves normaly in high wind conditions. I normally surf a 5'10 Spitfire and 5'10 Hellfire. To be honest, the Spit is easier for me and has more float - I will have to grow into my HF.

Question is: On paper the 5'2 wins. I want something that paddles well, but should still be able to duck dive. My spit seems to have just the right amount of volume for my level as of now. I started on a dominator 6'2 which soon got way too big with 38L and impossible for me to duck dive.

I'm 30 years old, fit and want a SP for 1-3 foot wind waves. Wave quality is mostly mushy: 5'4 or 5'2?

Kindly
    M

Should add, that summer time means 3/2 wetsuit and winter 5/4mm!

Comment

If you are novice the 5'2" will feel way too short for you in my opinion, specially at your height. In your case I would recommend the 5'6" despite the volume, because it will give you a stable platform that will ease your progress.

Comment

Thank you for getting back to me Iggy.

The 5'6 is impossible for me to duck dive. As per my level of surfing, I catch waves and do one-two linked turns at best. So far I have been surfing my 510 Spit in crap, but would need something with more float in the mush and flats. Guess the right definition of my ability is in between intermediate and novice The SP in my quiver should help me catch more waves and make small mush fun and easy to surf.

To this I should state, that I have been surfing a Taj 5'11 with a kite for 10+ years strapless which will help my learning curve.

Would this change your perspective?

Thanks
        M

Comment

You've had a TAJ for 10+ years! Time machine??? Haha

Anyway, I'd say 5'4" It'd be the right step down from the 5'10 Spit. The 5'2 is going to float you no problem, and I don't think you'd have any problem riding it, but I don't think it has much more volume than your 5'10 Spitfire. If you're happy with that go 5'2", if you want more, which most people do in a SP, go 5'4.

Comment

Your right... kitesurfed for 10+ years, but with a TAJ as my go-to board for 3 years.

I can catch really small waves (1ft) on my spit and it paddles well. If I get a 52 it will have almost the same volume, but more stability than the 510 spit. 54 would have more volume and more stability, which should help catch more waves but possibly also limit me a bit in sinking the rail in turns. I was thinking, that since the 52 has more stability than my spit, it would overall be easier to catch waves and float better in mushy sections that my 510 spit and also be better for turning.

the 54 has more volume than my 510 spit 33,5l vs. app 35l. With 38L it was impossible for me to duck dive my 6'2 Dom. I'm affraid of going too small, but also too large...

Let me hear your thoughts gents :)

Kindly
            M

Comment

u really don't have to worry about duck diving in 1-3 ft mush do u?

Comment

I think the design of the SP is going to add to the wave catching/planing etc even at the same volume as your Spitfire.
                My call would be 5'2. I think at 72kg it's going to be plenty of float for you. That said, if I was 72kg I'd be choosing the 5'6" Spitfire, not the 5'10" so you might want to bare that in mind when sizing your Sweet P.

My advice, if you feel like the 5'10 Spitfire works well on medium sized waves for you, then the 5'4" Sweet P is probably going to fit in the same range for small conditions for you. If you find the 5'10" to be a lot of board when the waves are decent, then you definitely want the 5'2"

Also, agree with kdropin, I wouldn't be banking on duck diving too often on days where I'd be on the SP but I guess it varies heavily depending on where you're surfing.

Comment

How comfortable do you feel on the spitfire??.
                  The duck diving on 1-3ft mush surf should not be an issue right??. Again for your weight you could go on the 5'2" but I think you could have some issued with the length . That board packs lot of volume, not only width wise but rail wise. I thing I posted a pic of a 5'4" potato I tried. Check the dimensions of the board and bare in mind that I am 80Kgs 165cms.
                  Again, according to the charts you could be siting on the 5'2", now you know yourself better than anybody else

Comment

Knowing now your kite background it does change things since I thought you did not any previous experience whatsoever. How's the pup up coming on the spit??.Do you have any issues??, cause bare in mind that if you go with the charts, the 5'2" will have several inches less in length than your actual board. This in mushy small waves specially blown in waves will have an impact. I do also snow kiting here in Canada when water freezes.
                    My call will be the 5'4"
                    http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...4&d=1325563568
                    Last edited by iggy; 01-05-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

You are going to be happy with either in my opinion. Just be aware of the differences that's all. I agree that if you are liking the 510 spit, your preference is for more volume, so the 504 may suit your surfing a bit better...

Cheers

Comment

Hi guys,

You Rock :)

Pop-up is no problem om my Spit - it is about doing turns and generating speed where I need to progress. I def. feel the spit is a smaller board than my 38L dom, but only in a good way. Paddling it still sits a bit high in the water but nothing to worry about. I want to increese my wave count in wind-swell, high wind 1-3ft conditions, which meens I need a board that paddles well, that I can duck dive, that is fast and manouverable.

To sum up:
                        - If I like the volume in the 5'10 I should go for the 5'2
                        - I will be able to progress more on the 5'2 than on the 5'4
                        - With 72 kilos I'm just in between the 52 and 54
                        - My conditions are high wind waves, much current, random breaking points with small periods. more volume and length will help.
                        - The 5'2 will have more paddling power and stability than my 510 Spit i.e. give me a better wave count in the same conditions.
                        - Even with lesser volume, a SP will due to the outline and rocker perform better in small waves than a hybrid with a few liters more in volume.
                        - If I want to use the SP for stronger turns the 5'2 will be better. If I want the SP for cruising the 5'4 will be better.

Nev is slightly lighter than me (70 kilos) and a better surfer. He is on the 5'2. Sam Lamiroy is bigger than me (85 kilos) and on the 5'4 and an advanzed surfer. I guess this puts me right on the 5'4 but I'm still afraid of too much volume....

Comment

Hi guys,

You Rock :)

Pop-up is no problem om my Spit - it is about doing turns and generating speed where I need to progress. I def. feel the spit is a smaller board than my 38L dom, but only in a good way. Paddling it still sits a bit high in the water but nothing to worry about. I want to increese my wave count in wind-swell, high wind 1-3ft conditions, which meens I need a board that paddles well, that I can duck dive, that is fast and manouverable.

To sum up:
                          - If I like the volume in the 5'10 I should go for the 5'2
                          - I will be able to progress more on the 5'2 than on the 5'4
                          - With 72 kilos I'm just in between the 52 and 54
                          - My conditions are high wind waves, much current, random breaking points with small periods. more volume and length will help.
                          - The 5'2 will have more paddling power and stability than my 510 Spit i.e. give me a better wave count in the same conditions.
                          - Even with lesser volume, a SP will due to the outline and rocker perform better in small waves than a hybrid with a few liters more in volume.
                          - If I want to use the SP for stronger turns the 5'2 will be better. If I want the SP for cruising the 5'4 will be better.

Nev is slightly lighter than me (70 kilos) and a better surfer. He is on the 5'2. Sam Lamiroy is bigger than me (85 kilos) and on the 5'4 and an advanzed surfer. I guess this puts me right on the 5'4 but I'm still afraid of too much volume....

Comment

I surf a 5'8 Dominator for small to just over head waves with a bit of punch and use my 6'4 Taj Pro when things get a bit bigger/suckier or the waves are really clean.

I was in the same boat as you needing something for 1-3 foot gutless clean/chopped waves and decided to go for the 504 Sweet Potato. I could have gone smaller but i think that the type of waves you will surf the Sweet Potato in a little bit of volume is not a bad thing. I can compete with others on big boards, put the board where i want and make sections i might not on any other board.

I am looking for something to fill the gap between the Dominator and Taj Pro and trying to decide between a 5'10 Hellfire or a 6'0 Spartan - Bourez Pro model when they come out in the next few months.

Comment

Agreed!!

Comment

Working...
                              X