X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato 5'6'' vs Mini Simmons

Hey again... in a dilemma. Between getting 5'6'' sweet potato and a mini simmons (5'7.5'' by 2/5/8th'' and 18.25'' nose and 17'' tail). Both are available for me to buy. Can anyone describe how they might think these boards would ride differently? I'm looking for a cruiser -- something to pick up small waves on days that only the longboards seem to be working. Will the Sweet Potato paddle into more waves? Thanks!

I uploaded the pic of the mini simmons.

Comment

I think the SP will be much higher performance than a mini symmons. Both will catch tons of waves.

Comment

I have owned a 5'7 Bourton Mini Simmons as well a tried a few other shapers interpretation of a Mini Simmons. Although they catch waves easily a lot if them were really hard to turn due to the wide square tail (you have to move your back foot placement from one side of the board to the other to turn it) and you need to surf them quite flat. You can't surf them like a Mal and you can't surf them like a fish. I have recently got a 5'4 Sweet Potato and love it......paddles real well but turns like a machine and makes sections you think you would never make. It did take me a little while to get used to it but now i almost have it wired i have found it more fun than my Simmons in 1-3ft gutless beach or reef breaks.

Comment

agreed,more stable platform on the potato and you'll have the performance when needed. the Simmons has a straighter outline,it will be a much more square board than the potato
          I've ridden a mini simmons 4'8" and even though it was a funky fun ride, the potato packs more gods inside

Comment

sweet! picking up the 5'6'' today. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

thanks for the feedback everyone.

One REALLY important differentiating component unique to the potato is the bottom contours. It really helps with maneuverability and response and makes the wider tail feel not so wide.

Additionally the placement of the finboxes are key. That is why the board has been so popular. It paddles big but rides small.

Cheers

Comment

search footage on youtube of mini simmons's then check the guy in hawaii on the spud...one is a stiff flow-ey fish...the other is a small wave performance board....that said, i jumped on a 5'0" simmons recently and was foam climbing all the way to the sand in 1 ft slop...!!

Comment

Think of the sweet potatoe as a mini simmons on SERIOUS steroids!!!!!!.
                  The maneuverability and responsivenesss is not even closer between the two!!!!!
                  Pretty excited, driving tomorrow 500Kms to get my brand new 5'2''.

Comment

Hey Iggy, I thought you owned a 5'4 spud?

Comment

Attachment
                      Originally posted by Andy View Post
                      Hey Iggy, I thought you owned a 5'4 spud?
                      I actually had a 5'6" but sold it cause it packed waaay too much foam for what I wanted the board for. Have a friend who has a 5'4" which I tried extensively!!.
                      Now I just drove 500kms and picked up a 5'2". Got my car searched by border officers. The little monkeys could not understand that someone would ilk to go surfing alone in the middle of winter... as I told them at their face, no matter how much I try to explain this to you, if you are not a surfer you would never understand
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by iggy; 01-11-2012, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Attachment
                        Brand new potato 5'2",just picked it up
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attachment
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm loving that little spray job, kind of dirty looking but at the same time very effective!
                            I wanted to give my Sub Scorcher a little spray job but there's already so many decals on the thing that I don't want it looking too busy!

Comment

Today the surf here in FL was shin-knee high and I took out my 5'6'' Sweet Potato. It caught everything!!! My buddy on a long board couldn't believe it! I was catching knee high waves too before the wave was breaking! Thanks for all the advice on this forum guys. I'm excited to test it out in a little bit bigger surf but I'm definitely glad I got the 5'6''- paddles me like a longboard :) . It's coming in the car with me for every surf check from now on.

Comment

Working...
                              X