X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato Review (short)

So I bought a 5'0" sweet potato and surfed it for the first time tonight. I really bought it for my son thinking we could both surf it. I only caught one wave as I was really tired from surfing a couple hours earlier. I took off kind of late and the board performed amazing. Fast easy to turn, and went down the line no problem for my 6'3" frame at 185 lbs.

So there you go, probably could have been better if I got a 5'6" or 5'8".

Well remember that the board was intended for your son wasn't it??? ;).
    With your frame and given that you must have quite a few seasons on your belt, I would suggest the 5"6" for good balance between cruiser and small wave performer. The 5'4" could be also interesting but would be a bit more challenging in the smaller crappier stuff

Comment

I was thinking 5'6", volume wise my 6'2" Dominator is spot on probably could go 6'0", but you are right I think the 5'6" would be perfect. Would really like to get a baked potato or at least see one as that looks a little more refined for my style.

Comment

Baked potato or the potatonator, right in between the Dom and the Potato

Comment

Baked potato

potatonator

http://blog.bcsurf.com/new-2012-fire...and-activator/
          Last edited by iggy; 01-26-2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

So they are both pretty close in shape. The Baked looks full in the nose, just trying to figure out which board would make a great low end board. I love my DOM but would love to add either of the boards posted above. I think we will have to wait and see what these look like when they hit the floor. Thanks for the pics and the blog post link. Cheers.

Comment

you already have the dominator so the baked potato will increase you count more significantly than the potatonator

Comment

Yeah I agree with Iggy on that one 100%

Comment

I will be getting one of those, maybe even brand new, we shall see how the money comes and goes.

Comment

SPUD TASTIC - my god thats alot of choice

Comment

So how much difference is there between a sweet potato and a baked potato? What size/condition surf. If I have a dominator already which one would be best to get for smaller waves?

Comment

I havent ridden one yet, but looking at the pictures and descriptions of both, seems like the Baked Potato is a more refined sweet potato that will suit the same wave range. We could say that the Baked is a higher performant Sweet for waves that will normally require a longboard

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...source=message

Attachment

The BAKED POTATO offers a few subtle design adjust- ments over the SWEET POTATO. The nose is pulled in slightly and some of the rail volume has been removed to allow for even faster rail to rail transfers. The BAKED POTATO has the same aggressive double concaves and ‘V-spline’ running down the center of the board which allows the board to get up on the rail much faster than the overall design would indicate. Primarily designed for smaller, weaker conditions, the BAKED POTATO will surprise you by its performance characteristics, and how the quad fins set further back and closer to the rail than usual, allow the board to hold with- out sliding, even in larger surf. Get cooking on a BAKED POTATO.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Actually the most important difference IMO besides the tail will be on the profile. Check the volume distribution specially over the tail and the rocker:
                          Baked Potato

Sweet Potato

Last edited by iggy; 01-28-2012, 08:20 PM.

Comment

you sure thats the baked potato profile??? looks like a dom

Comment

Yeah I think the SP and BP are going to be pretty similar in foil.

Comment

Working...
                              X