X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5'4" or 5'6"

I'm completely torn between the 5'4" and the 5'6". I think the 6'0" Spitfire or Dom. are ideal boards for me. The waves are pretty clean down here but they do get small and mushy and sometimes even onshore. The volume calculator puts my ideal volume for a pure stoke model at 36.6 while the SP's above are 35.7 and 38 ish respectively. I'm leaning a bit toward the 5'6" but will that be way too buoyant for me to sink the rail and have more of a higher performance feel? Ah, decisions decisions! Which one to go for? Any ideas?

....or maybe a 5'5" Baked Potato?

Comment

What's your proficiency level?. Are you looking for a small wave cruiser or for something to light up your sessions a bit?
      The potato will handle those small mushy days that will usually keep you on a looonger board with ease whereas the Dominator will cover the middler range much better.

Comment

I ride a 5'10 Dom and the 5'4 SP - I think Im on the limit with the SP in real small surf wieghing 185lb, I would recommend the 5'6 at your weight defo.

Comment

Thanks! I think I'm between intermediate and advanced and in pretty good paddle shape as I surf every day. Those pounds aren't going anywhere! ;) Looking for something for the tiny longboard days when I don't feel like surfing. I have a 6'2" G&S Mini magic fish in Tuflite(20.25x2 1/2) that's my go to hybrid board for points and softer days but it doesn't cut it for me when it's tiny and mushy. The potatoes look way more fun than a classic fish which I think are more fun to me than a longboard anyway. I also have a 6'0" Xanadu wave rocket which feels like too much board for me. Unfortunately, the Surftech website seems to have erroneous numbers on volume so I can't seem to use my current boards as a reference. If I use the FW volume calculator it has me at 36.6(for advanced) or 40ish (for intermediate) as the top of my range.

Comment

My suggestion would be to go shorter. you live in a place where you get a fair amount of ground swell (assuming pacific coast) so there is normally a bit of push, plus you never need a wetsuit.

the fact that you are able to surf every day also makes me inclined to say that you should go with the less volume. The board is so flat and has such a wide nose that you really have a lot of things working in your favor if you go shorter.

cheers

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions from everyone! I assume Surferireland that you wear a lot of rubber(though you have way more experience than me)? I may wait to decide until I get my 6'0" Spitfire. At least I'll know what that volume feels like. Yup, I live on the West Coast so it is quite consistent but it can get pretty small still at times. Last month we had 3 days straight when it looked like the Mediterranean though that's pretty unusual. When's the Baked Potato coming out, Chris?

Comment

85Kgs on a 5'2" potato and floats me plenty.Love the skatey feeling of it!!! (on a 5/4 boots and gloves)

Comment

If you are getting in the water every day and dont wear rubber and are between intermediate and advanced I agree with guys go short 5'4 - Id give you a run on mine if I could only get away with a holiday over there - Junior No.3 is arriving tomorrow all beingwell so surf trips willl be toned down for a while.

Comment

5'4" as well

Comment

Ok, Thanks again. So 5'4" it is. It will take 8 weeks to get it here but I'll let you know how I get on!

Comment

team work!

Comment

must be arriving soon

Comment

Update : I got swayed by the latest and greatest and got myself a 5'5" RF FCS baked potato. I put a set of SF4's on it. Only had a couple of surfs on it the last two days but am beginning to love it. It's going to take me a bit to get used to I imagine but I'm sure I'll learn not to slide out so much. Paddles pretty well despite the size and a breeze to catch waves.
                            The conditions were perfect : waist to shoulder high mixed up mushy beach break with light to no wind.
                            I can't wait to try it out some more once the swell drops again.... never thought I could get excited about small surf :)

Comment

great stuff david!! glad to hear!

Comment

Working...
                              X