X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a small wave board?

I'm fairly new to surfing, just got hold of a 6' 10" Addvance which is great (39 yrs 182lbs)

What I don't understand is how something like a 5' 4" SP is going to be better for small waves? Here in the UK, our small waves don't have much power and to be honest the Addvance might struggle even with it's volume.

Just trying to get my head around how riding a SP, BP etc. would help in this situation.

Fully aware I'm probably not good enough to surf one, but I do love a bit of tech and would like to figure it out.

Rich

Small wave boards like the Sweet and Baked Potato are designed to have more volume than your every day board but in a shorter and flatter package. The idea being that you can manoeuvre a shorter board more easily on a small wave than a longer one. It might not paddle and catch waves quite as easy as the addvance but once up and riding its possible to whip tighter turns and quicker snap in small sections than it would be on the addvance.

Comment

Ditto

Comment

Ok, cheers guys.

Seems like I should just stick with the Addvance this summer and see how I get on.

Comment

@reserves, you will catch a lot of waves with ADD but you won't be able to do much on the wave. Sweet and Baked Potato will let you do a lot of turns, maneuvers, and go super fast! :D

ALOHA!!

Comment

Only if I can catch a wave on them first :)

Comment

also, all of the volume is under ur chest, so it is difficult to catch waves w the SP or BP. the PN might b a struggle, but if u got the right wave, its all pretty simple

Comment

• reserves
                reserves commented
                Editing a comment
                You mean the volume in the Addvance is under the chest right? Yeah, I'll think I'll struggle with a smaller board, was just interested, something to aim for I guess

sorry... i meant the SP and BP for small boards hold all the float under ur chest. the ADD floats everything. give it time w the ADD. soon u'll b catching tons of waves and honing in ur skills. once ur blasting 3ft overhead w no problems, then u'll b ready to go smaller

Comment

Originally posted by reserves View Post
                Only if I can catch a wave on them first :)
                if you are new to surfing, go with the ADD. A year or two in, go with the Sweet or Baked.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Working...
                X