Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Sizing question

Hey all!

I am 5'4 140lbs, i currently ride a 6'0 spitfire. I sometimes more often then not find this board difficult to paddle. But am looking for a summer time board. Stumbled across the SP and cant seem to figure out what size would be appropriate. I consider myself a beginner/intermediate. No problems standing ect, just paddling issues. I was thinking of demoing a 6'0 SP but from what I am reading it seems like it will be WAY to big? I honestly want a board around that size that will not give me paddling issues. Any help will be great full! thanks!

Hey all!

I am 5'4 140lbs i currently ride a 6'0 spitfire. I sometimes more often then not find this board difficult to paddle (I did get it as my first board, since I was a little kid, yes the learning curve was steep but not impossible). But am looking for a summer time board. Stumbled across the SP and cant seem to figure out what size would be appropriate. I consider myself a beginner/intermediate, only have paddling issues sometimes with the spitfire (really bad on big days). I was thinking of demoing a 6'0 SP but from what I am reading it seems like it will be WAY to big? What size do you guys think that will make the paddleing more enjoyable haha. Any help will be great full! thanks!

I think you're going to have to work on your paddling technique and paddle fitness more than anything. At your weight a 6'0 Spitfire should paddle REALLY well for you. A Potato is a little thicker and flatter but because they're supposed to be ridden pretty short they aren't fantastic paddlers. If you want something that paddles easily you need something with length and glide like the Addvance, the trade off is it won't duck dive easily.

Comment

5'3" baked potato!!. @140Lbs you'll have too much meat under your feet. Phill is right, the potato family were designed to be ridden waaaay smaller that you would normally ride. As far as paddle goes I have not found any issues with my 5'2" sweet but it is true there are better paddlers. On the other hand those boards work insanely fun in the small stuff

Comment

@lokela, 50 Sweet (501Baked) is perfect. If you want a little more grovel power the 502 (503 Baked) is good too but you will eventually out perform it and downsize to a 50...IMHO.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Yeah but a 6'0 Spitfire will paddle much better than the smaller boards you've suggested to I don't think it's really going to help his cause if he's struggling on that already.

Comment

@Phill, lokela mentioned he is begin/inter level, he should be OK. I consider myself begin/inter and i ride a 54 Sweet and weigh 175 lbs. I have no problem catching waves and standing up. It could just be a stability factor. The Spit basically is a shortboard while the potato is a longboard but half the size. In any case I think he just needs to go at it...it's all about the reps. Anyways, it's always good to get different perspectives from others. :)

ALOHA!!
            Last edited by hawaii_boi; 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X